Nissan Forum banner

how much boost on stock internals

17K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  javierb14 
dburone said:
7 - 8 psi would be ok, 15 is too much if you dont do some things to the engine.

I was going to avoid this unless bs info was posted.

dburone, you're wrong.

assuming what he said about having all necessary mods (meaning fuel upgrades and stuff), he can max out the T28 on an SR20 and still not threaten the engine.

it's not how much boost you run so much as wheel horsepower generated. 15psi on a T28 is much different than 15psi on a T3/t4.

So, assuming you upgraded everything as necessary with turbo, you will easily be able to handle 15psi on a T28......you can safely make over 350 wheel horsepower on a stock SR20.

uh huh, but you still don't know anything about the SR20 (which is amazing since you have the 4g63T lol)

uh, like I said, a 9.5:1 comp SR20 can easily make over 300whp. If you know how to tune it, you won't have any problems.

so yes, 15psi on a T28 can easily be done with the right accompanying mods.

obviously tuning is key. if tuned right, it's not dangerous. Make sense?

stop freaking going against what we're telling you. Okay? Geez. There are people with over 300whp running 15psi on T3/T4 turbos on stock SR20s.

here's proof

Tavel said:
ooo me me me me lol. i will just second that a lot of people agree that 15-16psi is the the max SAFE boost...i've heard people going up to 25psi, but again i wouldn't trust it to last long like that
go back, re-read this thread. we said numerous times it's not so much important about the psi as it is the turbo size!

besides, no regular non-ball bearing T28 will stay together at 22psi boost.

it's all about tuning. use an intercooler, proper injectors, proper MAF, JWT ecu, maybe cams if you wanted, 93 octane gas or better, and 3" turbo back exhaust, and you can run 15psi with a T28 on a STOCK sr20de.

well, SE-Rican's last 15psi dyno run wasn't that good, but isn't he around 365whp before the O2 induction intake mani?

15psi on a GTiR everything else stock except maybe JWT ecu..........I want to say 240-260whp, but the GTiR has 8.3:1 compression. Lowest available on the stock SR20DET's useable in fwd cars.

Slacky said:
bahhhhhhhhhh i dont think i like that i figured it would be around 300 maybe a lil over cus its 227 stock at 7 pounds and has to be like.... 130 n/a at such low compression but i guess i will jsut have to get a upgrade and boost the crap out of it

you see where I say WHP? That means wheel horsepower.

227 stock is at the crank. probably around 200 at the wheels at 7psi.

over 300whp on a T28 with everything else stock on a GTiR at 15psi? hell no.

before you do anything, I can't even explain to you how obvious your lack of knowledge is. It would be VERY WISE on your part to do TONS of research about turbo kits, how turbos run, and the engines they run on before you dive into this, or the first problem you have will disable you and your car because you'll have no understanding of what could have caused it.

Sixways said:
So if you have a bigger(or higher flow) turbo it will put out more power at the same psi? Sorry for the dumb question but I'd like to know. I don't know much about different types of turbos.
you are exactly correct.

this is why PSI doesn't matter as much as the turbo size.

7psi on a T28 will make less power than 7psi on a t3/t4.

here's why:

a T28 can flow xx pounds per minute of air. We'll say xx is 25 (I don't think this is exact, but it's a theoretical to explain how it works)

and say your t3/t4 (which is a bit larger) can flow xxx pounds per minute. We'll say 40.

so picture this. a T28 flowing 25 pounds of air per minute, compressed to 7psi, vs a t3/t4 flowing 40 pounds of air per minute compressed to 7psi.

the t3t4 will definitely make more power at the same psi because it flows so much more actual air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.