Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how much i can boost on stock internals of an sr20de. I'm gonna be using a t28 ball bearing turbo with all of the stuff it needs to operate properly. A friend of mine says around 15psi or so but i didnt quite believe him. Ive searched a little bit and nothing has come up I just want direct opinions or facts from people that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
7 - 8 psi would be ok, 15 is too much if you dont do some things to the engine.

stocka$$200sx said:
I'm wondering how much i can boost on stock internals of an sr20de. I'm gonna be using a t28 ball bearing turbo with all of the stuff it needs to operate properly. A friend of mine says around 15psi or so but i didnt quite believe him. Ive searched a little bit and nothing has come up I just want direct opinions or facts from people that know what they are doing.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
dburone said:
7 - 8 psi would be ok, 15 is too much if you dont do some things to the engine.

I was going to avoid this unless bs info was posted.

dburone, you're wrong.

assuming what he said about having all necessary mods (meaning fuel upgrades and stuff), he can max out the T28 on an SR20 and still not threaten the engine.

it's not how much boost you run so much as wheel horsepower generated. 15psi on a T28 is much different than 15psi on a T3/t4.

So, assuming you upgraded everything as necessary with turbo, you will easily be able to handle 15psi on a T28......you can safely make over 350 wheel horsepower on a stock SR20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
chimmike said:
I was going to avoid this unless bs info was posted.

dburone, you're wrong.

assuming what he said about having all necessary mods (meaning fuel upgrades and stuff), he can max out the T28 on an SR20 and still not threaten the engine.

it's not how much boost you run so much as wheel horsepower generated. 15psi on a T28 is much different than 15psi on a T3/t4.

So, assuming you upgraded everything as necessary with turbo, you will easily be able to handle 15psi on a T28......you can safely make over 350 wheel horsepower on a stock SR20.
It's not so much x-psi on a given turbo but the combination of lb/min(or CFM) and boost (AKA pressure ratio)..

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

If the T28 is moving hot air at any given RPM you can knock and have problems.

I'd look at getting a good intercooler first...

Assuming an SR20 is a 2.0.. It should be ok with a T28 but there are better. I'd get a different combination than the T28. Maybe a 50trim or something.. There are other comp wheel and cover combinations slightly bigger and even almost the same size which are much more efficient. The newer GT series wheels rock..

I have seen 20psi plus with race gas on a turbo car at 8.5:1 and have ran upwards of 30psi on top of 11.5:1 on alcohol... The fuel makes a big difference too.. Maybe try an alcohol injection system (small amount injected on top of gas) or run race gas when boost is maxed...

You could make 400-500hp safely or so depending on the SR20's rod strength.. With hot air, bad tuning (lean or too much timing) or too little timing you can melt a piston or knock bad and wreck the engine at just 300hp.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
MyFirstNissanIsApath said:
Assuming an SR20 is a 2.0.. It should be ok with a T28 but there are better. I'd get a different combination than the T28. Maybe a 50trim or something.. There are other comp wheel and cover combinations slightly bigger and even almost the same size which are much more efficient. The newer GT series wheels rock..

I have seen 20psi plus with race gas on a turbo car at 8.5:1 and have ran upwards of 30psi on top of 11.5:1 on alcohol... The fuel makes a big difference too.. Maybe try an alcohol injection system (small amount injected on top of gas) or run race gas when boost is maxed...

You could make 400-500hp safely or so depending on the SR20's rod strength.. With hot air, bad tuning (lean or too much timing) or too little timing you can melt a piston or knock bad and wreck the engine at just 300hp.

You obviously don't know much about the SR20 so don't post. We don't need guys/gals going around here giving bad information. Hell you didn't even 100% know that the SR20 was a 2.0L :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
You obviously don't know much about the SR20 so don't post. We don't need guys/gals going around here giving bad information. Hell you didn't even 100% know that the SR20 was a 2.0L :rolleyes:
guess what I have an awd eclipse with 600hp.

We use T28's too..

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
uh huh, but you still don't know anything about the SR20 (which is amazing since you have the 4g63T lol)

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
MyFirstNissanIsApath said:
guess what I have an awd eclipse with 600hp.

We use T28's too..
Just because you have a powerful eclipse doesn't make you the Boost know-it-all. Not all 2.0s are created equal. An SR20DE bottom end can handle up to 500 horsepower stock BUT thats provided that all the right terms are met when upping the boost.

Your 4G63 can handle a lot too but not if it isn't tuned properly

From everything I've read the stock bottom end of the SR20 will handle around 20-23 psi as long as your make sure your fuel delivery system and intake temp is in check. I, however, wouldn't count on it lasting too long at that pressure. 15 psi is a safe boost level that will keep your car running for a long time.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
with a us spec engine i personally wouldnt pass 10 psi because its higher compression anyway 9.5 to 1 rather that a gti-rs 8.3 to 1 i think and the reason hes using at28 is because it comes stock off a gtir and other cars so its relitively cheap to get spool fastand last long because they are ball bearing

·