Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start. I already searched for 25 min. Now to the question. Do you think 2 more degrees advance on the timing is ok on the SR20 motor. Let me know. Thanks.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Two more than what?

·
Registered
323 Posts
wanna hear something funny and a bit off-topic, i was working with a guy and his focus and it gave the best dyno results for HP 4 and 6 degrees retarded. I'm not that great on engines, but does this make sense?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
degrees is set at 15 smart a$$'s. That's the stock setting if you didn't know. I'm a horrible test taker. Just know my stuff.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've seen signatures on some of these forum guys with SR20s and they have their timing advanced to anywhere between 18 and 20 BTDC. I guess the notion is that around 5 degrees advanced timing is a safe range for both engines, as the GA16 is stuck at 8-10 from the factory and 15 is good for ours, and you say 15 is stock for the SR20 and I see a lot of people at 18 or 20.

By the way, this occured to me once and I always wondered about this. Apply a little geometry here. If you were to take the circular travel of the crank shaft and draw a circle in the direction it goes, and mark a part of the circle where TDC is and make that 0, when that mark is moved to -15 degrees from 0 by rotating the crank, that will pull the #1 cylinder piston down to what is known as "15 degrees BTDC," and when you turn the crank the other way back to zero then all the way to 15 degrees past zero, it moves the #1 cylinder piston back up to TDC and back down again, and that's known as "15 degrees ATDC." The point I'm trying to make is, if you turn the crank counterclockwise, or backward, to -15, shouldn't that actually be retarding the timing, and turning it clockwise, or forward, to 15 degrees, should be advancing? I've always seen this the other way around and it perplexed me.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
lowridin23 said:
degrees is set at 15 smart a$$'s. That's the stock setting if you didn't know.
So what?? How do i know you dont have it at something other than 15?? What if you had it at 18 and wanted to know if you could advance it to 20?? i wasnt trying to be a smart ass but you were not specific in your question.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Lowridin23, considering the number of people who responded to your question, there's no telling to whom you are refering as "smart-a$$".

If the timing is indeed stock, that would be 15º BTDC. Factory specs 15º ±2º, so you can advance it those 2º with impunity.

Some claim 17º BTDC requires premium, but I never used anything other the 87-octane regular after advancing my timing to 17°. I suppose I should dyno test that, sometime.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I take back the smart ass's comment. I was more blown at the ASE comment. I worked pretty hard to pass a couple of those.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Play nice boys.

Lowridin23, I guess we were a little confused since you said " do you think two MORE degree's advance on the timing" insinuating that you already have advanced the timing but not stating to what degree. I personally am glad that there are educated ASE techs on the board, much better than some forum packed full of 12-13 yr old dumb-asses that haven't drove a car in their life. LOL

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
lowridin23 said:
Thanks. I take back the smart ass's comment. I was more blown at the ASE comment. I worked pretty hard to pass a couple of those.
Im sorry about that comment as well, Im sure you did work very hard to pass your tests and I really respect and commend you on your work. Once again, i apoligize for my remarks but I really do wish you could have been more specific.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is a very good example of the equivocal language phenomenon I'm learning about in my human communication class at school. Things we say can mean two different things and when people misunderstand one meaning for another they often get in disagreements and fights about it. Thanks for proving my point. :p

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
You can FEEL the love

·
Registered
323 Posts
UnderDog said:
This is a very good example of the equivocal language phenomenon I'm learning about in my human communication class at school. Things we say can mean two different things and when people misunderstand one meaning for another they often get in disagreements and fights about it. Thanks for proving my point. :p

i can stick raisins up my nose! No really, even the statement "Thanks for proving my point" can mean several different things depending on your perspective, and the tone UnderDog utilizes, we see here in Chapter 17 Section 502 of the Communications Rationalization Donkey book that I didn't know you had a point to prove :)

The previous message was all in jest and is not to be taken as a serious statement at all. Thank you.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
Just advance the timing already. I run 19 degrees with 87 sometimes, and no detonation. Im pretty sure this is the wrong place to post this too.
I was always under the assumption that you needed at least 91 octane with 19* and 93 with 20-21* timing. I never put mine that high, but I always used 93 octane also. Step it up to 19* and just keep a good ear out for detonation and enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts