Nissan Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dang, if you didn't have bad luck with this car you'd have no luck at all. o_O
Actually, no. I have taken care of the car. It is when others work on it that I have bad luck. Check this out. I told you that last week I drove the car to the dealer after I broke down and had to walk home. Indicators was the alternator that the dealer had just put in per Oreilys tester that the alternator voltage regulator was out. I went ahead and replaced the battery and the battery terminal and drove it back to the dealer for them to check why the alternator that they had just charged me almost a grand to replace had a voltage regulator that had failed. a couple of hours later they called and aid car was ready and that nothing was wrong except that the alternator was not plugged in. I went and picked it up but I know this was not the case. He mentioned that they had switched the wires on the alternator the time before last that I took it over and that the tech was looking to see if maybe he needed to change the wires back around. This blows my mind because last May, I replaced the alternator connector and car was great until the tranny went out. So, I have these pics that I took the day that I burned up 2 alternators and 1 battery right before It went to them to have alternator replaced. And then the next pic is the connector as it was today when i took it back to the dealer. The wires were changed. I had Oreilys check this morning and again this alternator has a bad voltage regulator.
Telephone Telephony Mobile phone Communication Device Font
Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive lighting Bumper Font
Product Fluid Font Gadget Material property

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Tell me what colors in the original wires are connected to which colors in the replacement connector. I'll tell you right away if it matches the WD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tell me what colors in the original wires are connected to which colors in the replacement connector. I'll tell you right away if it matches the WD.
I took it back over to them. I cannot tell you until i get it back.. I am looking on my thousands of photos I have done as I have worked on my car in the past. I remember the original connector had a wire that was barely hanging on. I cannot remember if the wires matched the original connector but, I do know that the two pics I just sent you have the same connector wired differently in the last 2 weeks

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well, when you get it back, give me the colors and I'll tell you whether they unscrewed it or screwed it up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, when you get it back, give me the colors and I'll tell you whether they unscrewed it or screwed it up.
[/QUOT
Here is the reason I had to replace the original alternator connector. You cannot even see the colors on the original connector and it got even worse like one wire had a single strand barely hanging on.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Light

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yep, that's pretty well trashed. Like I said, let me know the colors when you get the car back and I'll confirm whether it's right or not. Those alternators are pretty-much wooden leg standard across the gen5's, so it won't take me 5 minutes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yep, that's pretty well trashed. Like I said, let me know the colors when you get the car back and I'll confirm whether it's right or not. Those alternators are pretty-much wooden leg standard across the gen5's, so it won't take me 5 minutes.
I figured out something about the alternator situation. I am not still sure exactly sure altogether however this is what I think. If they did replace my alternator the connector wiring still would have been the way that I had wired it in last May. However, 2 days after I got it back when they supposedly replaced the alternator, the day I broke down, replaced batter and terminal and drove it to Oreilys to have alternator tested and they told me it was bad. Well, since I had replaced the battery, I looked on YouTube to see how long you can drive on a new battery with out needing the alternator to charge it and I realized that instead of waiting on a tow from dealer, I could just drive it there. When I got there, they kept it for an hour or two and all they did was move the wires on the connector so that the ECM would not be pulsing the alternator and it would just work the same all the time but the battery light would not be coming on anymore and car would just stop without warning if something else went out in the charging system. In other words, the voltage regulator being out on the alternator they just replaced is not something they think that they should replace or repair, What do you think about this?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you're saying they disconnected the "smart charging" wire on the connector? I've never seen that be necessary on an Altie (although it can be on some other models when they chronically under-charge). That shouldn't disable the charge lamp, either. So it sounds like something is wired ka-ka. When you get it back, let me sort out the wires and see exactly what they did.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts