Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting-
I have a simple question. About how many miles or years should you get out of an 1996 GXE Altima before it dies. I have 176,000 miles. The car okay, I have had a few hiccupes in 2004. Bad distributor, air intake manifold gasket and now I need a new CV joint as I was told. The body is in pretty decent shape, not mentioning the slight rust and ding and dents from shopping parking lots. I just bought a 2003 Altim, it runs like a peach. I am hoping to get as much life out of this car as possible. I am not a mechanic, a mechanical engineer though, So to avoid the exspensive labour cost I have started to fix somethings myself.

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
LONDONDERRY said:
Greeting-
I have a simple question. About how many miles or years should you get out of an 1996 GXE Altima before it dies. I have 176,000 miles. The car okay, I have had a few hiccupes in 2004. Bad distributor, air intake manifold gasket and now I need a new CV joint as I was told. The body is in pretty decent shape, not mentioning the slight rust and ding and dents from shopping parking lots. I just bought a 2003 Altim, it runs like a peach. I am hoping to get as much life out of this car as possible. I am not a mechanic, a mechanical engineer though, So to avoid the exspensive labour cost I have started to fix somethings myself.

Almost any car, if well taken care of an not abused (especially a Toyota, Honda, or newer Nissan) could last up to 500,000 miles. Of course you are going to be replacing the usual suspects, water pumps, alternator/battery, brakes, exhaust, etc.....

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
Your Altima may have a few things wrong but very few 9-10 year old cars wouldn't. I would think your car could go another 50-75k without too much trouble. I recommend getting a Haynes manual or the 96 Altima service manual.

Troy

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestion on where I can get a copy of the service manuals? I contacted a dealer... $200.00 for used. I found the PDF version of the SENTRA service manual in this forum. On the other hand, what are the signs the water pump is starting to fail? This is the orgianl pump with 176k on it. So as a prevented maint. should I just replace it?

KA24Tech said:
Your Altima may have a few things wrong but very few 9-10 year old cars wouldn't. I would think your car could go another 50-75k without too much trouble. I recommend getting a Haynes manual or the 96 Altima service manual.

Troy

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KA24Tech said:

Troy

IS the serice manual for a 1997 altima gxe similar to the 1996? I found them free online

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
The 96 and 97 Altimas are essentially unchanged so the manual work.
The water pump will usually show crusty residue on the weep hole which is under the pump housing. The residue is coolant leaking out past the shaft seal.

Troy

·
Registered
2 Posts
wut up

yea my 1997 altima is just at 94,000 and i just had to replace my cv joint and the manifold gasket is messed up and thats about it.. they are pretty good cars...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts