Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 Pathfinder and the battery is probably past 3 years old now.
How long are the OEM batteries lasting for you guys ?

Thanks Ian

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
It's hard to say, these days. They don't seem to last as long as years ago, but there are a number of factors that can go into how long a battery lasts. I've had batteries last about 3-years and I've had some last 5-6 years. Best thing to do is have the battery tested. Many auto parts stores will do this for no charge.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to say, these days. They don't seem to last as long as years ago, but there are a number of factors that can go into how long a battery lasts. I've had batteries last about 3-years and I've had some last 5-6 years. Best thing to do is have the battery tested. Many auto parts stores will do this for no charge.
Ok, thanks.Main reason for concern is we are now retired, Lexus IS manual got written off with hail damage so now only one car. Having been stranded in past with a failure to start on a short stop I am being paranoid!
Reading posts on here I checked for corrosion on battery terminals, yes it's bad on positive terminal.
I was disappointed since it was into dealer only a few weeks ago.
But I found one of the new jump start battery modules on Amazon came midnight Saturday! 0.02 am.
They missed the next day delivery by 2 mins !
So its charged and in the pathy ready to go. Would like to test it. Thinking about that.
How do they get 500 A starting, 1000 A max out of 12 Amp Hour battery !
BTW I checked the voltage , parked for 24 hrs, in garage at 12.62 V
In past when my batteries failed one cell was shorted and typical voltage was around 10.6 V

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
A static charge of about 12.2 volts is one indication of a good battery. Load testing the battery is another way; this is done by what many old techs call "the toaster," which connects to the battery via cables and puts a load on the battery when the button is pushed. These days, many use a conductance tester, like those from Midtronics, that check the conductivity of the battery, which can be a bit more telling of the true state of the battery.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so now have a tester. Battery tested good. Took it to my dealer, they cleaned the corrosion, put in felt washers and coated with some kind of protective coating. No charge under 3 yr warranty.
He also said battery is covered for 3 years.
Tested battery as good.

So discharged battery 4 time outs with headlights and ignition on. voltage suddenly colapsed to under 8v. car would not recognize key, or attemp to start. Tester said Bad cell.
applied jump starter. went in car and it started immediately!
So first comment I dont recommend people kill the battery like this its risky.
2 the jump starter that says up to 20 starts, users report 3 to 10 starts.
The fours lights for fully charged are down to one. It recommends 2 or more lights to jump start.
Ran car for few mins. Battery tested good, 543 Amp and over 12 v !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts