Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post on this board. I currently own a '00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I'm thinking of trading it in for an '04 Sentra SE-R (I love my Impreza but I'm getting bored of it). I'm a torque junkey and the SE-R is supposed to have even more usable torque than the Impreza. Anyhoo, back to topic...
How does the SE-R drive in the winter? Do good snow tires help? I've heard SE-R's are pretty crappy in the snow, but I just wanted to verify this from those who would know. I live in Central New York State and the weather can get pretty bad here at times. Snow and ice are common. My Impreza is great in the snow, especially with the AWD and my Nokia Hakkapeliittas. I look forward to your responses. Thanks.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Well, the impreza will definitely handle better than the fwd SE-R.

snow tires defniitely help.........central NY? Like, Syracuse area?

I think you might be happier sticking with the impreza, especially in winter, and if you like to mod, those things have such a good aftermarket!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chimmike said:
Well, the impreza will definitely handle better than the fwd SE-R.

snow tires defniitely help.........central NY? Like, Syracuse area?

I think you might be happier sticking with the impreza, especially in winter, and if you like to mod, those things have such a good aftermarket!
I'm from Rome, NY (about 45 mins away from Syracuse). Subaru aftermarket parts are very expensive (at least for the N/A 2.5L engine) and the gains I've gotten weren't as good as expected. Ever since I had a turbo installation go horribly wrong I've encountered problem after problem with my car. I think it's time to per her down soon :(

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Are you looking at the SE-R auto or the SE-R Spec V 6 speed?

The 6 speeds have 17s with max performance summer tyres. If you get one, plan on having a set of winter wheels or taking the buss. Also, keep in mind that the Brembo option will not accomidate most other 17 inch rims and nothing lower. IMO they are not worth the money or hassel. :( My SE-R does horrible in the snow, mind you I am running W rated tyres and pretty well modified. If you do modify them, they only hate the snow worse. The SE-R is in all honestly a wheel peeling car because of its torque. They can do great in snow, but it will take a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's which are studdable. They are the ULTIMATE snow tyre...the Blizzaks aint got crap on the Nokians. If you are willing to buy a set of 15s and throw some snow tyres on, then as far as snow performance you should be set.

And as far as torque, youll have lots of fun :D

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
getek20 said:
I'm from Rome, NY (about 45 mins away from Syracuse). Subaru aftermarket parts are very expensive (at least for the N/A 2.5L engine) and the gains I've gotten weren't as good as expected. Ever since I had a turbo installation go horribly wrong I've encountered problem after problem with my car. I think it's time to per her down soon :(

well, n/a mods won't feel as big as expected because you have 4 wheels draining the power heh.

I can understand how it feels to get screwed over by a shop, or have someone do shoddy work.

Don't let it get you down. I'd say boost it again ;) it'll save you money vs buying a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NickZac said:
Are you looking at the SE-R auto or the SE-R Spec V 6 speed?
I'm looking at the SE-R auto. I do a lot of stop and go driving and I'm not a fan of driving stick.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
getek20 said:
I'm looking at the SE-R auto. I do a lot of stop and go driving and I'm not a fan of driving stick.
That's what I have, only I have an 02. They come stock with all season radials. Mind you, they arent the best but they do a lot better than a summer tyre.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Besides all that, my Spec is starting to really annoy me. I live in the South, where we never get snow, and it never really gets cold. I should know, I'm from the east coast of Canada. I've had problems with my car with just a little bit of cold weather. Stupid things like the windows won't go all the way down when it's cold... the stupid transmission won't move an inch without me breaking my wrist to get it into first... won't start on first crank... oh, and the one time we did get snow this year, I couldn't move it for five days, although my wife's Mini on 17's did just fine. If i ever move back to Canada, I'm getting rid of this car first.

Summertime? I love it! Come on April!

·