Nissan Forum banner

How is a GXE compared to others

4K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  shmuck90 
#1 ·
Im new to this board and dont know much about NIssans and was wondering what is so bad about a GXE?? What are the good things about it?

#3 ·
SO in your opinion is it worth modding up or should i just go and try to find an SE-R?? I really want to be different and fix up something that isnt an Acura, Honda, or Mitsu. Whether you say it sucks or not, im still going through with this. I just know there has to be other positives besides it runs.

#5 ·
worth it? i think so...

true, the ga16de motor powering the sentra isn't terribly fast, but it has potential.

just like the d-series (non-VTEC) motors in hondas, the ga16de responds well to tuning. and with the recent NPM articles about the 200SX project car build-up, turbo is fast-becoming a distinct and affordable possibility.

from what i've read -- in more than one publication -- the base 1.6 liter sentra responds much better to mods than its fellow honda equivalent. sure, this was a car meant to get groceries, not tickets, but there is quite a bit of power to be unleashed in that tiny engine.

i believe.

have a little faith and patience and you will be duly rewarded.

#6 ·
I concur.

It is a very dependable and fun engine. Mods are comming out the wood works for this engine. For what there is out there for it, the mods are worth picking up since it responds so well to them. Don't make me go down the list of cars that have been seen in my rear view. Ha ha ha ... j/p.

#7 ·
Re: worth it? i think so...

hard_charger said:

have a little faith and patience and you will be duly rewarded.
To this day that has been my motto. Modding a GXE can be a pain, but I wouldn't give it up for a free sr20 swap...well maybe...bottom line is, I have grown to love the ga16, and my goal is to do as many bolt ons as possible, and stay away from turbo. If only I could get a darn torque converter for my core. :mad: Modding a GXE takes patience, and if you dont have it, then it isn't for you. :)

#8 ·
Okay i noticed its lighter than a GLE. I like it cause its not a honda. Its not something that would be typically at a car show. I have patience as i feel this car will be a challenge and I dont think i would have been able to even attempt to try and fix it up if i didnt find this board.

#9 ·
Good for you man.. Thats what this board is all about. Helping out. I'm sure you find alot of useful ideas here. Mostly anyone here is more than happy to help you out on any mods you will be interested in.

BTW.. I had a b13 2door sentra E... And yeah an E.. It was the light as hell and had the 1.6.. But was peppy as hell.. A few mods and you will realize the little fun you will have. <thinking> I miss that little bitch.. LOL.. Well bro good luck on your project.. Wish ya the best. And glad you opened your eyes to Nissan.. Your one in a few that understand that hondas and such are a dieing breed! MAHWAHAHAH!

#10 ·
Right on. One of these days Nissan's will rule the world and Hondas will forever be licking the bottom of my boot.
I mean damn. I finally got to drive a '02 SER SpecV. OMG!! That sh!t is butter. My friend just bought it and on Sat. got to drive it on the long way home between LA and San Deigo. 2 in the morning and an empty freeway, I was in heaven. Of course some Honda (2000 body style, few mods) wanted to race and I was up for it. He got stuck and couldn't hang. I love it.

#13 ·
I think I will keep my GA16. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind having an SR20, and if I was handed one I would probably drop it in. But the money I do have, I mine as well spend on the GA16 and make it quick. Development is not far from pushing high power that is soon to be reckoned with.

#14 ·
i like the SR20 Motors. i mean my 1.6 is like at 80 K Miles. i just wanna gut it for a jdm motor that has like 235 HP stock and 30-50 K mileage on it. for me i like extreme performance with stylin.

#16 ·
I think the SR20 engines kick some serious ass but just think about it. If everyone were to do the engine swap then the companies who make aftermarket parts for our GA16's would stop making them. if the demand is not there, the supply will also drop.

#17 ·
You are right. They do kick some serious ass. But not to say the 1.6 doesn't either. Ok, maybe it only kicks a little ass. But what gets me IS the market for the GA16. Why does it have to be so difficult? With our engine being out there for so many years, what takes so long? But there are so many out there I dont think the market would go anywhere for it, even though everyone does wanna swap to the 2.0. I'll stick wit it. - Thank you kindly

#20 ·
Yeah. Im on the same boat as you Liu and I know I wont be keeping my 1.6 for ever but I like it for now

yea.. i like to get the best outta my 1.6L while i save up for my SR20DET GTi-R S15 Motor. but it sux more since my 1.6L is a freakin AUTO tranny. i wanted manual but my father was like Maunal in cali traffic? NO ! so i got stuck with auto. i hate it so much. that also one main point why i want the SR20DET motors cuz the fast and strong . You ever try climbin a hill with a GA16DE with close 2 no performance stuff on the engine excepet Exhasut and it auto. it like is pushin the pedal on the floor.. gayness.

#22 ·
I feel you on that Liu. But the manual is not that bad in traffic. Im down in Daygo and traffic can be pretty hectic. Even with my JWT Clutch, its not at all bad, but who likes to be stuck in traffic with a manual anyways? Granted an automatic does suck and that would be worth the swap to the SR20. But my 1.6 likes to pull hard in the higher RPMs and I love it, for now .... Good luck on finding what your looking for. Hopefully Dad wont say much, been in that situation before too when I brought up the motor swap idea. Got the whole spiel about needing all new mounts, axles and harnesses. I'd just wind up getting a new load. Peace out.

#23 ·
yea.. everyone been tellin me to dont spend that much on gettin ur motor cuz it worth more than my car itself. haha.. but what can i say. i dont want a new car this Sentra is my 1st Japan car my parent ever gave me. all my others was a 84 SAAB ( POS ) and my moms subaru legacy wagon that a 92 . i loved my mom wagon cuz it powerful and manual. i have such fun with it back home in alaska. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.