Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ok the other night i was coming home from the local track and rode up with some friends one had a 91 mazda b series truck he had cold air and exhaust but since he had a bigger engine he wanted to race just for kicks. we started at about 70mph i put in 4th and he did to, bigger engine pulled away but i noticed my rpms were actually quite low i thought i could only get up to about 80 in third gear but i was wrong then i told him i wanted to go again, to 3rd this time a got up to about 95 in 3rd and i left extremely quick. but i was wondering how high can everyone get in third gear? when i first got my car i could only do about 80 but ive recently started putting plus gas in my car and figure that to be the reason. am i right?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What are you talking about? You should be able to hit your 6800 RPM limiter in third gear easy. 4th is a hard gear to hit the RPM limiter because you hit the speed limiter first. So is 95 mph when it hits the RPM limiter in your car in third gear? Do you have a manual or auto?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes 95 is when i redline and i have a manuel i used to only be able to hit 80 now 95 in third

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
Project200sx said:
when i first got my car i could only do about 80 but ive recently started putting plus gas in my car and figure that to be the reason. am i right?
ha ha ha.. thanks for the laugh. Octane level has alot to do with gearing :rolleyes: ... ha haha

·
Registered
393 Posts
hehe, yeah... the od off button is handy when you need to cut @ like 70 mph. or when a gay civic wants to race and you beat him even tho your car is speed limited. (fwy)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always wondered about 3rd and 4th gear in an auto. I have a 96 Sentra GXE. When I have tried to top out my car I have always turned off O/D and used 3rd gear but when I start getting really high rpms you can tell that the engine is definately getting to the end. How high can I go in 3rd gear? Can I just use 3rd to get all the way to the top or will I have to switch to O/D? I would like to know how high I can get my car but I dont want to blow up my engine just because I ran 3rd gear all the way to the bitter end!

·
Registered
299 Posts
"yes 95 is when i redline and i have a manuel i used to only be able to hit 80 now 95 in third"

This still doesn't make sense. Your car should still be able to hit the rev limiter with 87 octane or 100 octane. The gearing has always stayed the same. Did you ever really try to hit the rev limiter in third gear back then???????

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
??????????

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i have tryed redlining my car in third gear when i first bought it, i was only able to make it to 80 mph have you not been reading, ive recently been able to get higher. Anyways what the hell does it matter to you i was asking a simple question, basically does the octane of my gas afftect how high in each gear i or you can get?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Project200sx said:
basically does the octane of my gas afftect how high in each gear i or you can get?
NO.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
have you changed your wheel / tire size? this will throw your speedo off if not sized properly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no i have not changed whell size or anything, except for new air filter, soon my hs cai will be here

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude, i never said it did i said it was my only idea thats why asked you guys?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Calm down KILLAZ! Don't jump a man for asking a simple question. Even if he didn't state is right

"when i first got my car i could only do about 80 but ive recently started putting plus gas in my car and figure that to be the reason. am i right?"

does anyone actually know the real top speeds for these gears? I know my owner's manual says the top rated speeds for each gear but is that accurate? I'm sure there is a little play in there for safety's sake and to take some liability off of Nissan. BTW my car is an auto so I don't know about the 5 speed.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ill hit the rev limit in third tonight after i leave work and ill let you know tomorrow. ;)

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
project200sx and i both have manuels

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh ok. I guess I will just have to do my own testing on my car to find out about the autos. Too bad I'm scared!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts