Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to rebuild a motor? I want to learn how to do everything there is to do on this car....

My first project is to install a new clutch, replace my worn cv boots and then replace my windshield. Could anyone suggest a repair manual for the B13: Is there a shop manual available?

Could a novice like myself teach himself to rebuild a motor? BTW I plan on buying another ga16 block so that I can do all the upgrades on that while I drive on my stock motor...

Thanks--------

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
The factory service manual is the only way to go. It is a huge book and has all the details possible and it even has some "newbie" explanations. Mine cost $50 back in '93. God only knows what they cost today but I wonder if you can get them on a CD?

I rebuilt my first motor (Fiat) about 15 years ago and I can say it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I loved every minute of it and what a feeling when it first fired up! So go for it.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
My FSM cost me $80 after taxes a month or two ago. Rebuilding one of these would be tricier than say a chevy 350 because the tolerances are so tight. You could give it a go, but I'd just buy a JDM to swap into the car. You'll learn a lot doing that and you won't have to buy any specialty tools to do it. Besides, rebuilding a GA16DE or an SR20DE for that matter is a waste of resources considering the abundance of low mileage JDM motors and their low cost. Rebuilding one would cost as much as just straight out buying a JDM with 30K miles on it. I wouldn't cut my teeth on a rebuild. If you need a new engine then do a swap, you'll cut your teeth just fine on that. Check around for a used FSM here and on www.SR20DEforum.com Just get the year for your car, it'll cover all Sentras and NX models for that year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
JDM? What is that? Where would you get one, at what price?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JDM

To my understanding...

JDM is an acronym for JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET...

...Japanese-spec equipment from Japan...

Just like toolapcfan mentioned, check www.SR20DEforum.com for a used Factory Service Manual for your vehicle. FSM's may be costy, but your purchase of one is the BEST investments you'll make [besides an engine swap :) ] for your car.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I agree, that $80 was worth it, the FSM is awesome. As far as where to get JDM motors, check www.kwcengine.com they're the cheapest and offer good warranties, but call several times to get the lowest price, they're kind of squirrelly that way, just say that you heard they've got JDM GA16DE's for $250 and they should oblige. Other places you can check are www.usedengine.com www.soshinusa.com

·
Registered
185 Posts
toolapcfan said:
My FSM cost me $80 after taxes a month or two ago. Rebuilding one of these would be tricier than say a chevy 350 because the tolerances are so tight.
That's not a big deal. Someone else has to do all the hard stuff (measuring and machining). All you do is teardown and assembly. If you have all the tools necessary to take the measurements, it's probably not a big deal to DIY since you probably have the know-how anyway. If you don't, just have someone else do it. No biggie.

toolapcfan said:
Rebuilding one would cost as much as just straight out buying a JDM with 30K miles on it.
More actually.

If the goal is just to have a fresher engine, a JDM engine is pretty hard to beat. A gasket and seal kit cost about $165 3 years ago. Add in a set of bearings and you get about half way to a JDM SR20DE, and that's without any machining.

OTOH, if the goal is to learn as well, you can't beat building your own engine. If you have patience (and the budget), it's easier than it sounds. It takes commitment and attention to detail. I'm really glad I built mine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
B13TTSE said:
How hard is it to rebuild a motor? I want to learn how to do everything there is to do on this car....
It's not that hard.

Here is a set of articles about the engine I built. It was the first (and so far only) car engine I built. I rebuilt some racing kart engines before, but they are pretty simple.

http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/beast-toc.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts