Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the UK and visited local dealers recently to look at the RAV4 NRG and the X-Trail. I was impressed by both but the X-Trail Sport really shone through.

Does anybody here have experience with this machine? I would be buying the 2.2 litre turbo diesel version.

Thanks

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I live in the UK and visited local dealers recently to look at the RAV4 NRG and the X-Trail. I was impressed by both but the X-Trail Sport really shone through.

Does anybody here have experience with this machine? I would be buying the 2.2 litre turbo diesel version.

Thanks

Gary

·
Smth Crmnl,not therapist
852 Posts
I had thought your guys X-Trail was going to have an SR20VET put in it. Could somebody clarify is this is a rumor. If however, it is true, just wait a bit for VET power. I think its somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 hp, and damn worth it if you can get it on a stock car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in the UK and have a Nissan dealer a ten minute drive away.

I've been in the X-Trail and have to say I was VERY impressed.

Potential buyers, especially from the UK, may be interested in a British magazine I have here that collectively looked at the X-Trail (petrol), Freelander and RAV4. The X-Trail and Freelander were virtually equal (the Freelander very slightly ahead) with the RAV4 someway behind.

The Freelander scored a little better off-road while the X-Trail was better on-road. The reviewers preferred the Land Rover's overall design but you need to have money spilling out of your pockets for that to be a major issue.

The review concluded:

"Ultimately the Nissan is a rugged, roomy car, with well thought out storage space ideal for the family that enjoys an active outdoors lifestyle and a much more practical choice than the quick, but awkward to load RAV4. Because it's not quite as stylish and refined as the popular Land Rover and doesn't have quite the same off-road agility, it fails to beat the Freelander outright, but this should be of little consequence to the many potential buyers who appreciate space and simplicity over image."

What most put me off the Freelander was the reliablity issue - I kept coming across reports questioning Land Rover's overall reputation. Comments on the X-Trail, like those below, interested me too:

"Body roll:There is quite a bit, as you'd expect, but not as bad as Land Rover products."

"An excellent alternative to the Freelander at £3000 less for same spec."

"The X-Trail 2.2Di Sport car is Nissan's Freelander rival and it works very well, combining great looks and a versatile interior with on and off-road skills that make it a tempting proposition. Its also cheaper than the equivalent Freelander and if Land Rover's reliability problems are still a source of doubt, its likely to be much more trouble-free than its Solihul built rival."

"I'd buy one any day in preference to a Freelander and the great thing is you get a terrific spec for a lot less than a pretty basic Freelander."

I was also drawn to the X-Trail Sport's impressive diesel engine - good pulling power and great mpg, too.

The following may also be of interest. It was written by an 'insider', if you like, who has considerable experience in the car manufacturing trade.

He says: "I have worked for BMW, Ford, Peugeot, Talbot, Citroen, and Nissan franchised garages and can say that Nissan have the most reliable product if in the past a little boring."

Here is what he has to say about the X-Trail:

Nissan's X-Trail went on sale in October 2001 . It is an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) aimed at both the medium and small sized 4x4 sector known as "Compact 4x4". It is competing with established vehicles such as the Freelander, Honda CR-V and Toyota's Rav 4, it is in direct competition with Fords new Maverick and Jeep Cherokee and is proving to be a huge success for Nissan.

50 years experience of building 4x4's makes Nissan one of the longest established manufacturers. Nissan have cleverly combined 4x4 chunky looks and a level of passenger car comforts and performance to give an exiting and elegant vehicle with extreme on/off road capabilities. The general styling from the Terrano and Patrol have been adopted so that at-a-glance any one can see it is from the Nissan Range. It comes in three trim levels S, Sport and SE+, a choice of two engines either a two litre petrol or 2.2 turbo diesel. There is a choice of 5 speed manual transmission or 4 speed auto for the 2.0 petrol engine and 6 speed manual for the diesel version.

THE PETROL ENGINE is an all new for Nissan. It is a four cylinder twin cam 16 valve engine with continuously variable valve timing (CVTC) using fly-by-wire throttle technology linked to a hi-tec engine management system giving a smooth and good pick up at well below 2000rpm. It has twin balnce shafts positioned underneath the crankshaft to counteract engine vibrations and this all aluminium engine must be the quietest in this class producing 140HP @ 6000rpm and 192Nm of torque @ 4000rpm.

THE DIESEL ENGINE is an evolution of the recent twin-cam 16 valve Almera engine, combining DIRECT injection, COMMON-RAIL injection technology and intercooling to give a phenominal Torque figure of 270 Nm @2000rpm and max power of 114HP @4000rpm outclassing Rav 4 and Freelander performances and giving well over 45mpg on a run.

ALL MODE 4x4 is based around the Nissan Skyline GT-R system and uses very advanced electronics to give each wheel it's optimum drive in all conditions within an instant and the X-Trail is the first vehicle in its class to do so. Other vehicles use a system that pressurises and brings in drive to one axle when the other starts to slip, this is slow and actually takes several rotations of wheels slipping before activating by which time you could be buried in the mud. Nissan's electronic system is almost instantaneous and will activate within a few degrees of rotation. There are three modes of use.

2WD, for around town etc, and for maximum fuel economy.
AUTO, for use on variable road conditions automatically proportioning the optimum torque to each axle.
LOCK, for extreme off road conditions. Drive ratio is locked at 57:43 (F:R).

ABS, Nissan Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Distribution is standard on all models and out brakes all of it's competitors by yards.

ESP+ option on SE+ petrol manual model (Electronic Stability Program) uses Traction Control to make the vehicle more stable if there is a situation requiring sudden manoevering. In an accident it senses steering angle brake pressure, yaw-rate, lateral G and wheel speed, the system calculates how it can restore to optimum stability by altering brake pressure to individual wheels, mode of four wheel drive and engine output and does so accordingly. This system combats under and over steer on road and ensures max traction is apportioned off road.

SRS airbags are standard for all front passengers with side airbags on Sport and SE+ models.

Cosmetics and Practicality
It has pedestrian friendly soft plastic wings that are light, will not dent at low impact speeds and inexpensive to repair.

It has an enormous sunroof or "Skyroof", tilt and slide one touch operation and ultra-violet reducing glass.

I was a little unsure at first about the centre "Mini" style mid-mounted instrument cluster but this rapidly grows on you. You will find it easier for your eyes to re-focus when switching from road to speedometer and back.

The interior design appears minimalistic but has many well designed and hidden small features including drinks holders. Drinks can cooler integrated into the air-conditioning system, this can be used as a warmer too with the heating on. There is a 12V power socket inside the drivers dash mounted glove box ideal for phone charging keeping your phone out of sight. It has a high spec 6 speaker stereo system and automatic climate control system. It still manages to give the driver a high seating position to give a real 4x4 feel.

The luggage area is well designed with the sporting and familly person in mind. The rear seats fold down completely flat with removable panels made from a hard wearing composit material that can be hosed down giving flexibily for accommodating a mountain bike or perhaps the familly dog. A drop down panel opens in the centre of the rear seats allowing ski's or snow boards etc to be stored while still being able to use the rear seats.

I have driven all variants of this vehicle on the road but unfortunately not off and find it a very appealing vehicle. I recently hired a Toyota Rav 4 for a week and found there to be no comparison, Nissan are light years ahead with this vehicle. The diesel version for me was favourite as there are bags of power combined with a six speed gearbox. A real fun vehicle.

Prices vary from around £17,000 to £21,000 but as this vehicle is such a success supply is a little slow so if you want one don't take too long making up your mind.....about as long as a test drive takes should be enough!

Verdict...I want one!

It's better for me... I'm lucky enough to be getting one!

Thanks for listening,

Gary

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but what about the sr20vet? is it still in production? does it still come in the trailblazers?

·
Registered
148 Posts
That thing looks totally diffrent from an Xterra... differrent 4wd system too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old info from Japan:

"The turbocharged GT model, scheduled for release in February 2001, is powered by the newly developed SR20VET engine.

"This 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine is the world’s first turbocharged engine to incorporate a variable valve lift and timing (VVL) system, enabling it to generate 280 PS (206 kW) of power for exhilarating acceleration.

"In addition, torque output in the low to medium speed ranges has also been increased for improved driveability in urban areas as well."

It's not available everywhere. I have a pic here, but can't post it.

Gary

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks...

wtf why cant we ever get any good shit here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
It is not the same as the Xterra. It has a transverse mount engine whereas the X Terra uses a Frontier 4x4 chassis (In either 4x4 or 4x2),has a longitudinal engine, and either the VG33E(N/A or supercharged) or the KA24DE engines-both gas. Nissan does not sell any light trucks or cars in the US with a deisel engine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Xterra is designed and built in the USA. It is only available in the USA as a domestic I beleive.

The are vehicles that are in the same model range. I have read the Xtrail will be sold in Europe and Latin America but not the US becuase it would conflict with the Xterra market.

To me it seems more like a Toyota RAV4 type vehicle.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
way to ressurect a thread, exalta!

Yanks, the X-Trail fills the same market niche as the Honda CR-V and the RAV4... it's around the same price range... but the specs sheet compares more closely to the Subaru Forrester...

Too bad you guys don't get it (except through Canada)... from all accounts, it's a pretty nifty car... especially the 4wd versions. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
look, we sure are lucky we have cars american guys are never going to see. i have an xtrail just like the one you want to buy. and believe me it'a a great deal. it has excelent fuel economy, it has exellent mid range torque, and acceptable off road abilities. it is demographically targeted but if you are that kind of guy, it is a car worth your money.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
X-trail

TROUTHUNTER72 said:
Is the xtrail a newer version of the terrano, or is it completely different? Is the terrano any good?
I bought an X-trail in singapore. have used it to tour most of the south east asian countries including thailand. its performance is excellent. and although my current mileage stands almost at 140,000km the engine and feel still is like the first day i bought her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont believe that Xtera and Xtrail here in the phils are the same. Most compare them, like they are disame kasi, kakainis!! Although I dont have an X-trail, YET! I dont agree that they are disame.

Oh and EXALTA.... are you dissapointed that you bought the STA model intead of the Grandeur 2001?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TROUTHUNTER72 said:
Is the xtrail a newer version of the terrano, or is it completely different? Is the terrano any good?
The Terrano essentially the same as the Pathfinder. Not at all the same as the X-Trail.

The Japan market gets the SR20VET:
http://www.nissan.co.jp/X-TRAIL/T30/0306/MECHA/main1.html

The Xterra is sold in South America in Brazil and Argentina, with an available turbo-diesel engine:
http://www.nissanxterra.com.br/ (turn down your speakers)
http://www.nissan.com.ar/xterra_home.shtml
It is also sold in China with a rather different skin that is a hybrid of the Frontier and Xterra and is called the Paladin:
http://www.nissan-paladin.com.cn

Brent

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys, i owned an x-trail it is a really powerful vehicle, mine has the QR25DE engine, i live in dominican rep, I research the mods for this engine that is found too in the SE-R and Altima, and i found a lot of mods for my x-trail so the first mod i got is a Hotshot header, it fits perfectly on my x-trail so now im kicking asses in an Suv hahah

1 - 20 of 34 Posts