Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeasterday I was driving with a friend of mine in my 96 se-r.
He started talking about this kid he works with that has a civic hatchback with a V-tec motor from a '01 Si with like $7,000 put into it. No turbo or nitrous, n/a. Well anyway, he was going on and on about how fast it was and how he totally spanked this Mustang GT. He told me he hit 130mph real quick while he was still in 3rd gear. Now I got an auto and don't have too much experiance with a manual but I'm raising a big [email protected]#t flag on this one. I seen se-rs hit 140 in 4th but 130mph in 3rd gear?!
I mean how fast can a n/a built V-tec from a '01 Si really get? I don't know too much about Hondas. I have a 96 se-r automatic with HS header, CAI, 2.5 catback, ur pulleys, JWT s-3 cams and JWT ECU with the s-3 cams program. Should I try this guy or what? I know its no surprise to anyone on this forum but I really don't like Hondas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A hatch w/ a 01 SI motor and $7K wortht of work is probably very fast. Probably a 12 sec car or quicker....But a 130 in 3rd gear is pushing it unless.......there is a new tranny in it....or it has different gearing.But then again $7K into a SI motor N/A...that car can probablt rev past 9grand. A stock si can pull almost to a 100 in 3rd gear.....So can it be done...yes....is this kida bull shitter?.....Hes your boy.

1,267 Posts
Importracer said:
A hatch w/ a 01 SI motor and $7K wortht of work is probably very fast. Probably a 12 sec car or quicker....But a 130 in 3rd gear is pushing it unless.......there is a new tranny in it....or it has different gearing.But then again $7K into a SI motor N/A...that car can probablt rev past 9grand. A stock si can pull almost to a 100 in 3rd gear.....So can it be done...yes....is this kida bull shitter?.....Hes your boy.
Yeahhhhh ok then. I'd say it's either BS, or he has no idea what he's talking about.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Importracer said:

Just because hes my boy dosen't mean he is an expert on imports. People sometimes get a different story when its passed second hand, plus he had finished off a six pack earlier and was brobably a little buzzed at the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
true......si was made 99-2000....could be a jap spec? If he really did all the work he said it could be possible, or like you said he could be B/S

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kid didnt even do that himself. From what I was told he bought the car like that from someone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
only one way to know for sure run it at the track and let the time slips talk.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely! If it is a Jap-spec V-tec with all the goodies that runs 12 sec or less I would be very impressed. Most Hondas Ive seen are all show and no go. I know theres fast Hondas out there, just havent seen one yet. I'll have to see this kid's car myself and find out. If its all that, I'll give 'em props. If not, no sweat off my back, I'll still stick with Nissan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont know were you are from. But in North Jersey where Iam from it is the opposite. Everyone around here people are so concerned w/ go and not show. Of course there are some kids that decide to put 19's 4 TV in there Civic. If the want to think they are driving a Lexus.....God Bless. There are actually a lot of fast hondas. By the way my frind just purchased a 300zx TT, BOV, Greddt Exhaust, JWT ECU, HKS Intake......12 sec is easily accomplishes w/ honda take CRX w/ a b18 swap a little work....and bam just like that 12's. Very cheap and a nice sleeper

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in so-Cal. There are fast imports out here too but also a lot of show. All kinds of bling-bling s#@t. You gotta kinda separate the real tuners from the ppl that just want looks. Hell, I wasn't even into cars till about couple of years ago. When I got my 200sx, I didn't think it was possible for a 4-cyl to be that fast. Then started reading SCC and well, got the bug and started to modify my car.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
With your mods listed, I'd say you should be running a high 14 to low 15 quarter-mile (even with the auto tranny taken into consideration).... if not quicker. If you want to see who is faster, and if this guy is for real, take it to the strip. I'm guessin' BS as well. Only one way to find out... ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way I see it I say race him and ask questions later. My stock SE-R kept up with my friends slightly modified H22A in his 93 prelude on the freeway. I was slightly a head of him by the time I had to shift into 4th! not sure of the speed we were at probably 80 or 90.... which isn't bad considering the weight to HP ratios of the two cars.... Now then again my buddies CRX has a B16A2 (JSPEC motor with LSD etc etc etc) and he runs 14.7's all day long at the track. Other mods on the crx include I/H/E Clutch etc.. so It all depends. Usually the people who have a tendency to run there mouth are the ones who lose! Thats my 2 cents

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Think about this guys, most honda cars do pretty decent at the track because of the fact that they are geared to accomodate either their V-tec stuff or their lack of torque= very short and precise gears. 140mph is ridiculous to think about from any honda car not on drugs (nitrous) or boosting. Hell, I managed 140mph in my B12 in 4th gear at over 7000 rpm and I felt very sorry for the poor engine. Until V-tec, honda engines were not known as the rev-type past 6000rpm. Invent V-tech and allow the little engines to rev a bit higher. In 1987-88 nissan had the pulsar SE that revved past it's redline of 7500 rpm and so did Toyota which had it's 4AGE-GZE that revved past 7000 and both power plants are still used to this day. So F?%k V-Tick and honda and those torqueless engines and if those honda people thought the same way, they'd save their money and get a nissan. But for some reason, they are todays choice for ricers because I'll admit some do look nice and then there's another one that looks just like that one and so forth and so on (No hate intended).

God Bless hondas

Dee

·
Registered
5 Posts
You kind of have a point...but for one 140mph is very possible for a honda not boosting or no laughing gas. Those little tourqueless engines have a lot of potential. THats one of the other main reasons why a lot of people have hondas. The cars are so easy, and cheap to tune. Honda did something right w/ V-tick. It came out in 93 and had been naround for 7 years before other car manufacturers copied ex.Z-Tek, VVTI, ect..That just tells you that Honda's technology was way ahead..10 years later and it is still tha standard w/ very little changes. Also how many engines make 100hp per liter w/ out boost? You are right if you want a kickass car thats different and a little more original NIssan is the way to go. ie 240sx rear wheel drive and loves a nice phat turbo.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Just goes to show you that these manufacturers aren't stupid. They know where their bread and butter is and we can bicker on this list all we want. My friend has an S2000 and he got his little car up to 150mph on a major highway although he was racing my B12, a turbocharged Lexus IS300 and an audiTT. Although he came in last, 150mph is very impressive for a honda car and the way it rev sounds evil. Needless to say, the old b12 was ahead of the pack by at least 5 cars at well over 165mph. I would love to show you the videos if I could, but I don't know how. Is there some kind of way to post them up here (hosts, etc, etc)?

boost_boy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't get me wrong I love my Se-R but there are good Honda motors all the way around. The H22 which we are swapping in my prelude SI does have 190HP and 158Ft/Lbs of torque which is by no means bad.... It all comes down to driver and building the motor to the good points of motor!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats just not right

ok that honda story isn't right. simply because an engine from a 01 honda is not going to fit ina honda hatch. Honda changed the side that the transmission sits on the new civics. so basically this guy may have a si motor but it would have to be from a 99-00 or earlier B-16A. i don't know about the 130 mph deal in 3rd. probably bs like the 01 motor. and you also never know that $7000 bucks could have went towards the hotest new wings west body kit with a 7 foot wing, a new paint job and some cool new 19 inch wheels.

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
Re: thats just not right

simplxca said:
ok that honda story isn't right. simply because an engine from a 01 honda is not going to fit ina honda hatch. Honda changed the side that the transmission sits on the new civics. so basically this guy may have a si motor but it would have to be from a 99-00 or earlier B-16A. i don't know about the 130 mph deal in 3rd. probably bs like the 01 motor. and you also never know that $7000 bucks could have went towards the hotest new wings west body kit with a 7 foot wing, a new paint job and some cool new 19 inch wheels.

this sound like 7 g's worth of stuff...I can picture it now but you forgot about the 2.5" drop and two 15" subs...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh yea

i also forgot the big powered by honda and VTEC decals. they are a good part of the investment too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts