Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 06 Xtrail, i'm not getting any cold air from my vents. I had it briefly looked at by a mechanic about 2 years ago, but it was more of a 20 second ''look over/ya not working '' type of deal. ( He was working on other cars and busy/we shared automotive shop space). Anyways, i'm not sure if my compressor is shot or just do not have enough pressure. I was watching this ChrisFix video and he mentions sometimes not enough pressure so the compressor might actually work fine/needs pressure. First thing i will check is to see if my compressor turns on and the pulley spins. If i can find the same A/C Pro can he uses and reasonably affordable, i will try to fix/recharge it myself. How well does you Xtrail AC work? have you guys tried a similar repair? I think i try this, if it does not work, i may just live without cold Air in the summer as i may only keep my truck for another 2 years .....no point dumping a big AC repair bill in a vehicle that depreciating to the point it might only be worth $2000 or so two years from now. Plus i live in Vancouver....our summers are pretty pleasant and rarely gets hotter then 23-24 C for more then a few days or week in late july/august. ( Mind you, outside of metro Vancouver, we have towns and cities where we are the ''hotspots of Canada....averaging 30C and can go as high as 40C-43C. !)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a hunch either not sold in Canada /and/or will not be shipped across the border from USA because it is banned or flammable/aerosol spray. I looked for the AC Pro kit and retails for $39.99 in usa. Cannot find a canadiaN retailer. Amazon.Ca lists it for sale at $41.99 and free shipping. I notice it states '' Ships from Canada and sold by Autozon. ''.....so should not be any issues .
1594429296806.png

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,880 Posts
The AC pro kit and others like it are just a stop-gap resolution in some cases. If all the system needs is more refrigerant, then the AC pro kit will do the job. However there may be other problems causing a no cold air condition. A lot of people use these kits and end up with a highly over-charged system without fixing the problem.

Here's what you need to do the proper job; it will measure the high/low side of the system. This way you can more easily determine what the actual problem might be:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AC pro kit and others like it are just a stop-gap resolution in some cases. If all the system needs is more refrigerant, then the AC pro kit will do the job. However there may be other problems causing a no cold air condition. A lot of people use these kits and end up with a highly over-charged system without fixing the problem.

Here's what you need to do the proper job; it will measure the high/low side of the system. This way you can more easily determine what the actual problem might be:

hi...thanks for the info. As you mentioned, might be a stop gap repair. I could live with that. It's not crucial i have cold air living here in Vancouver during summer. It be nice to have cold air if a cheap and simple fix. But as i mentioned, for my old Xtrail, i will not be professionally servicing my air cond. It's July 10th, hit only 20 C today. Some days in June it was about 15-18C. Vancouver a strange duck in terms of weather. Very rarey will be hot and then only very brief. Travel only 50-75klms east of the city, can warm up . Further out, Kelowna, Kamloops ( far away from the coast/inland) can go to 30-35C and well past...long hot summers. Even have a desert region in BC.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It was 36.4 C here yesterday. I recharged my SVX and X-Trail last week. The SVX AC is so cold that my hands go numb on the steering wheel. The X-Trail is only cold enough at 36 C if I keep the recirc/max on all the time. It is my belief that the HVAC system is undersized for the amount of glass and the number of cubic feet of interior space.

Reactions: tonyvancity

·
6,880 Posts
hi...thanks for the info. As you mentioned, might be a stop gap repair. I could live with that. It's not crucial i have cold air living here in Vancouver during summer. It be nice to have cold air if a cheap and simple fix. But as i mentioned, for my old Xtrail, i will not be professionally servicing my air cond. It's July 10th, hit only 20 C today. Some days in June it was about 15-18C. Vancouver a strange duck in terms of weather. Very rarey will be hot and then only very brief. Travel only 50-75klms east of the city, can warm up . Further out, Kelowna, Kamloops ( far away from the coast/inland) can go to 30-35C and well past...long hot summers. Even have a desert region in BC.
It makes sense not to throw too much effort into your AC considering the climate in Vancouver.
Years ago I was in Seattle, Washington for about 2 weeks; nice place to visit; temperatures were about the same as what you have. However there was lots of rain and overcast every day. Here in New Jersey we're having temperatures of 35 - 37C and high humidity; need that AC working.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 36.4 C here yesterday. I recharged my SVX and X-Trail last week. The SVX AC is so cold that my hands go numb on the steering wheel. The X-Trail is only cold enough at 36 C if I keep the recirc/max on all the time. It is my belief that the HVAC system is undersized for the amount of glass and the number of cubic feet of interior space.
i know that the first 2 years i had my 06 Xtrail , the air conditioner was working normal and blew cold air. But i took it one summer to visit relatives in the Okanagan region Of BC where it was hitting 30-35 celcius averages and the air cond was barely keeping me cool. That year i decided to have a professional window tint job on every window , minus the front windshield. That helped a lot to keep the interior cooler. My front driver/passenger windows are tinted at about 35%, the backglass hatch is at 20%.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It makes sense not to throw too much effort into your AC considering the climate in Vancouver.
Years ago I was in Seattle, Washington for about 2 weeks; nice place to visit; temperatures were about the same as what you have. However there was lots of rain and overcast every day. Here in New Jersey we're having temperatures of 35 - 37C and high humidity; need that AC working.
Oh yah, Seattle and Vancouver are twins in terms of rainy weather and both our cities are known for driving you bonkers with a short sunny season and just too many rainy days and nights. Mind you Vancouver in Summer can get it's share of warm humid days. I've visited seattle in Summer and it definitely felt hotter there. Aint it funny how some vehicle's have super ice cold air conditioners, even when it's an older car way past it's prime? My father had a 2004 dodge caravan and i just sold that for him last summer...ice cold air cond!. My brother has a 04 Matrix, nice cold air even on the lowest settings. I had a used , 1987 toyota Camry back in 2005-06 and i had to keep the air cond on the lowest setting because it was just so damn cold i was getting a sore throat. Then there was my then new 2004 Honda Civic Si....such a weak ass air cond. All black interior, tinted windows and one of the lamest air conditioners i ever experienced .

·
6,880 Posts
The older cars that used R12 refrigerant produced better cooling then the newer cars that use R134a refrigerant. Due to the Montreal Protocol agreement, all the car manufacturers had to convert to R134a in 1989.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts