Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me some feedback on how an cold air intake works? how does it increase your horsepower? i cant find any information on it. all i can find is people selling them.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
fondoo said:
can anyone give me some feedback on how an cold air intake works? how does it increase your horsepower? i cant find any information on it. all i can find is people selling them.
Cold air is denser hence it can produce more power due to more o2 in it per given volume.

The best of the CAI's like AEM are tuned in length to resonate at a given RPM and use that effect to increase power as well.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
You went over the poor kids head!

The extension relocates the filter away from the engine bay away from the heat and in to the bumper. The air is always cooler there and at speed is readily availible. I dont know if you have noticed how hot the sentra and 200 engine bay gets but if you ever hit traffic in the rain you will see what i mean, steam just rises right off the hood. With about 65$ you can make one that is just as good as some of the ones selling. All you need is a 3" 90 deg. manderal bent U pipe. Some 2* 3" inch rubber sleaves and 4*hose clamps. 1*3/4" rubber plug opening. and a saw and a drill. You take and slide the battery tword the engine as far as you can twords the engine in the tray. Cut the U bend in half at the center of the raidiuse connect it to the mass air opening with the rubber sleave and mark where you want the hole to drop down the rest of the extension and filter. It should be right arround the back Right hand side of the batterey. There is already the stock airbox hole that is there that is small. you can either cutt a hole out or bend the edges down to open it up. Take the bumper of and measure the length and cutt the rest of the U pipe to length. Tesfit everthin and measure twice. Now for the o2 sensor u will need to find a spot on the bottom of the 3" extension that is close to the sensor (should be right at the start of the bend before the pipeing drops into the fender. Dill your hole 1/2" put the plug in and slide the sensor into place. Clamp everything down and you are ready to go... I actully had mine painted to match the car and through a NISMO sticker on it to dress it up.. i will see if i can dig up a pic....

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Re: You went over the poor kids head!

syndicate-bro said:
I dont know if you have noticed how hot the sentra and 200 engine bay gets but if you ever hit traffic in the rain you will see what i mean, steam just rises right off the hood.
we haven't been getting that much rain down here in CA...;)

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
psteng19 said:
My question is WHY does the intake make the noise it makes?
well because the resonance in the big metal tube, it's like a big instrument... also because the holes in the filter make the air 'vibrate' b/c of the resistance, it's like the old blowing into the top of a bottle effect... except a lot higher pitch. not that noticeable tho.

S

·
0 Posts
Idle adjustment.

on the top of the throttle body there is a black plastic cap. pop that cap off and you can use a screwdriver to adjust the air flow to minimalize the hissing sound, it takes some tinkering to find out how your car will like the adjustment. Some cars idles will bounce. you need to find the happy medium, the hissing will not completely go away because the filter is alowing alot more air throung and it isnt confined in an air box..

S

·
0 Posts
I adjust it when i do the timing at the track.

It depend on the weather and how the car is running. tipicaly around 13deg for the timing and at 11-12k rpm.

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
Re: You went over the poor kids head!

syndicate-bro said:
The extension relocates the filter away from the engine bay away from the heat and in to the bumper. The air is always cooler there and at speed is readily availible. I dont know if you have noticed how hot the sentra and 200 engine bay gets but if you ever hit traffic in the rain you will see what i mean, steam just rises right off the hood. With about 65$ you can make one that is just as good as some of the ones selling. All you need is a 3" 90 deg. manderal bent U pipe. Some 2* 3" inch rubber sleaves and 4*hose clamps. 1*3/4" rubber plug opening. and a saw and a drill. You take and slide the battery tword the engine as far as you can twords the engine in the tray. Cut the U bend in half at the center of the raidiuse connect it to the mass air opening with the rubber sleave and mark where you want the hole to drop down the rest of the extension and filter. It should be right arround the back Right hand side of the batterey. There is already the stock airbox hole that is there that is small. you can either cutt a hole out or bend the edges down to open it up. Take the bumper of and measure the length and cutt the rest of the U pipe to length. Tesfit everthin and measure twice. Now for the o2 sensor u will need to find a spot on the bottom of the 3" extension that is close to the sensor (should be right at the start of the bend before the pipeing drops into the fender. Dill your hole 1/2" put the plug in and slide the sensor into place. Clamp everything down and you are ready to go... I actully had mine painted to match the car and through a NISMO sticker on it to dress it up.. i will see if i can dig up a pic....
Do you any pictures of the set up you built?

·
Registered
145 Posts
let's see those pics!!!

I'm with everyone else who wants to see pics of the CAI you made. Hell, if you were the ornry sort of guy you'd see copied instructions on EBAY like those suicide trunk lid folks. :D I want to make a CAI my next mod and would love the input and I found myself reading your instructions with hope of being able to duplicate.

·
0 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
adjusting, the idle screw has a drawback. I turned it down and the hissing went away, but as a result, the point where the hissing stops, the idle is so low, that the car stalls whan I come to a stop. I eventually had to turn it back, to keep the engine running normally.
Yeah, I woudn't screw with the idle. Pull the TPS, adjust your idle to 750 or thereabouts and be done with it. If the car hisses or vibrates bad (like mine used to with super-aggressive motor mounts) just live with it!

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
the hissing is only at idle, why bother with it, risk of messing up idle air control valve, and setting off ck engine light, with multi-cylinder misfires, just a suggestion.........

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like the hising. Its scairs the ricers. the ones that dont know anything about cars dont know what to think.hahah and i love the gurrrrrr that the intake makes when you STOMP it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts