Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 800+ posts
822 Posts
Not exactly an easy procedure. You'll need a variety of tools and basically, time. Replacing the timing chain is easier if the engine is out of the car so you don't have frame rails and engine mounts in the way. DO ALL THIS AT TOP DEAD CENTRE!

1. remove valve cover & cam cover
(exposes side and tops of cams)

2. mark chain position and cam gear position using white-out or marker

3. use a wrench to hold the cams in position and unbolt cam gears

4. remove accessory belts

5. remove crank pulley

6. unbolt timing plate cover; this includes the two bolts beneath the cams and the bolts of the water pump (one extends into the crankcase itself) and dropping the oil pan (otherwise you'll crack the cover trying to remove it).

7. remove timing chain tensioners (upper and lower) as well as timing chain guides

8. remove timing chain

9. replace timing chain, guides, and tensioners

Then just bolt it up all back up together. Make sure you do not turn the crank while impacting off the crank pulley or you'll have fun with the timing being off. I suggest, if you are not mechanically inclined or handy, to have a shop do the job. Make sure you replace your tensioners and guides if they are worn also.

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Not exactly an easy procedure. You'll need a variety of tools and basically, time. Replacing the timing chain is easier if the engine is out of the car so you don't have frame rails and engine mounts in the way. DO ALL THIS AT TOP DEAD CENTRE!

1. remove valve cover & cam cover
(exposes side and tops of cams)

2. mark chain position and cam gear position using white-out or marker

3. use a wrench to hold the cams in position and unbolt cam gears

4. remove accessory belts

5. remove crank pulley

6. unbolt timing plate cover; this includes the two bolts beneath the cams and the bolts of the water pump (one extends into the crankcase itself) and dropping the oil pan (otherwise you'll crack the cover trying to remove it).

7. remove timing chain tensioners (upper and lower) as well as timing chain guides

8. remove timing chain

9. replace timing chain, guides, and tensioners

Then just bolt it up all back up together. Make sure you do not turn the crank while impacting off the crank pulley or you'll have fun with the timing being off. I suggest, if you are not mechanically inclined or handy, to have a shop do the job. Make sure you replace your tensioners and guides if they are worn also.
QUESTION: Could you just loosen the crank pulley bolt before messing with cam gears or taking off either timing chain?? That way if crank pulley turns while attempting to loosen it wont mess with timing. Getting ready to do this process to my 98 Sentra and i cant afford to mess up timing at all. Also, if you cant pull the motor, is it even possible to impact the crank pulley bolt off?

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
QUESTION: Could you just loosen the crank pulley bolt before messing with cam gears or taking off either timing chain?? That way if crank pulley turns while attempting to loosen it wont mess with timing. Getting ready to do this process to my 98 Sentra and i cant afford to mess up timing at all. Also, if you cant pull the motor, is it even possible to impact the crank pulley bolt off?
Yes.

check the threads on replacing the front Crankshaft Oil seal, its a sticky.

I use the starter method, works with both Auto and manual.

Make sure you tighten it up properly to the correct torque when you are done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.