Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, those that have them, how do you like the spec v? Looking at getting one. just curious what the pros/cons are on them.

thanks for any info

Nate

·
Registered
65 Posts
the wife has a 2.5S auto. and the car has a pretty good torque steer when you jump on it from a dead/rolling stop, it will push you back in the seat in anygear when you floor it. the top end is kinda laggy but overall its not bad

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 03 with about 19k miles on it. I liked the car from the day I got it, but since I added performance intake/header/exhaust it's a whole different (better) car. I enjoy driving it every time.
The engine has a lot of torque and will be different from driving a faster-reving car, but it's pretty powerful for a compact car. It has a 6-speed, which although a bit of a marketing gimmick, is still pretty cool in my opinion.
There are a couple of potential issues with the engine, like the pre-cat breaking up and the secondary intake screws loosening (which both could cause serious problems but both have fairly easy fixes).
You best value will be to get a used low-mile 03 or 04 (02 is the first model year, best to avoid) that is still under warranty. If you aren't insistent on having a new car a slightly used model can be an excellent value.

Overall I like it a lot.

·
Registered
455 Posts
na7e said:
Just wondering, those that have them, how do you like the spec v? Looking at getting one. just curious what the pros/cons are on them.

thanks for any info

Nate
Pros and cons? How about figuring out what exactly is you want and go from there. My 04 Spec V is the small high performance family (small family) car with track ready performance. Comes loaded with a good sound system, 6 speed for the highway, 4 channel ABS, sunroof, cruise, air, helical limited slip diffs and all that immediate power.
It's a bit of a stiff ride but that was understood before I bought the car and the handling was my reward for the trade off. In my opinion, some cars look a little better as well.
I spent a good 6 months really looking at many cars and here's why I didn't end up choosing them:

Honda SIR or SI in US - No torque, 2 doors, no diffs, 5 speed.
Mazda 3 Sport GT - Good car with only decent performance and financing put it at the same price as Spec V when loaded.
Matrix XRS - No torque, too expensive comparatively when loaded.
Mitsubishi Ralliart - the brand, the dodgy salesteam, no diffs, wheels too small and crap tires. Great chassis though!
Ford Focus ST - Total joke, not a performance vehicle at all. Wasn't there an SVT model once?
Saturn Redline - Hey it's a Saturn! Great seats though!
Dodge Neon SRT 4 - Powerful engine with soggy suspension. Quality issues as well. Also priced higher when loaded.
VW Golf GTI 1.8T - I saw the sticker and laughed. I might as well buy a Bimmer. Heartless engine too.
Hyundai Tiburon - Looks good but I've driven too many Hyundais. It's like tainted beef to me.

If you already looked at all these cars too, then you'll know there is really only one choice, unless of course, you're looking for something else in a car. The Spec V is not only a great bang for the buck but a car that's easy to fall in love with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts