Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Sentra GXE with automatic transmission. I have a torn outer boot and need to replace it. I am in the process of taking the left drive axle off to change it out. I am at the point where I need to remove the shaft from the transaxle... and, I am having no luck. From reading various threads and my FSM, I understand that I am to pry the shaft out of its home at the transaxle. I have tried...and, am having no luck. I need some help from those of you who have done it before.
Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The FSM says to remove left shaft through right shaft opening!

I double checked my FSM about the procedure to remove the drive axle at the transaxle for the Automatic Trans Sentra. The procedure is on page FA14 for the 96 Sentra. It indicates that the way to remove the left axle shaft is to remove the right axle shaft first. Then, you can remove the left axle shaft through the hole where the right axle shaft usually lives in the transaxle. The FSM states that by hitting the end of the left axle shaft with a screwdriver through the hole, the shaft will come out. Wow! Is this the only way to do this procedure? I will do it if I have to, but I would like to know of any alternatives.

Thanks.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
alkon said:
I have a 96 Sentra GXE with automatic transmission. I have a torn outer boot and need to replace it. I am in the process of taking the left drive axle off to change it out. I am at the point where I need to remove the shaft from the transaxle... and, I am having no luck. From reading various threads and my FSM, I understand that I am to pry the shaft out of its home at the transaxle. I have tried...and, am having no luck. I need some help from those of you who have done it before.
Thanks.
Put a prybar or large screwdriver in where the axle meets the transmission. Whack it with a hammer, it should pop right out. The thing that's holding it in is the circlip, once that's out of the groove, you can just pull the axle out.

Be carefull not to damage the transmission when you hit the prybar. You don't want to gouge the seal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It sounds as if you already removed the axle from the hub, correct? I know its a stupid question but I want to make sure your not prying against something that is not going to move :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
jer28 said:
It sounds as if you already removed the axle from the hub, correct? I know its a stupid question but I want to make sure your not prying against something that is not going to move :thumbup:
I did the same thing last night on my car yeah best way is pry bar and also making sure you move the hub around so you can slide that bitch out thats a pain in the ass ill tell you what i didnt have the tie rod tool so i was stuck in a spot to wiggle it out, if you take the tie rod and losen it that helps a lot more for free play in removing the whole piece and sliding it out :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing BOTH drive axles on '97 Sentra

I have to do this today.

Any suggestions for what to look out for or any tips to help make the job a little easier on me?

Would be greatly appreciated!

Bret

1 - 6 of 6 Posts