Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· freakish poster
1,551 Posts
Here's what I do:

1.Drain old coolant out (cold).

2.Put in clear water and run it until it's warm. Let it cool and drain. Repeat as necessary so that it drains clean.

3.I then dump in a gallon of premium "long life" anti freeze that is silicate free (because silicates are not good for the water pump [abrasive]).

4.If it overheats, you have an air pocket. You can open a bleeder valve (on the head I think) or you can "burp" it and just top off the coolant. Some ppl raise the front end to eliminated the possibility or air pockets; I don't think I've ever had an air pocket, so I don't know how much of a worry that is..

some tips: That plastic drain plug looks like it can be easily stripped, so be careful. Remember to have your heater selected on, and pull your overflow bottle and flush it out. And remember to be careful with hot coolant!

· freakish poster
1,551 Posts
Yes but when you have it done by one of those machines, do you people realize that they recycle the coolant and that's what goes back into your car (not all places do this but it's becoming more commonplace)? When I worked at a (Nissan) dealer we would dump old coolant in a 55 gal drum. Once a week a guy (from Wynn's) would come around and "treat" that concotion and then filter it. It was replenshied with the proper chemicals so it was up to snuff. I still wouldn't put that nasty trash in my car though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.