Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
On the bottom of the radiator there's a phillips head plastic plug you can remove. It's a bit hard to find.

·
Registered
638 Posts
50/50 pre-mixed coolant?

While on the subject off coolant flush, anyone try the new 50/50 pre-mixed anti-freeze that's been hitting the auto parts shelves lately. I've seen them at auto zone, it's made by Prestone & Peak. Sure looks like it will make coolant changes alot easier since you just pour it in, and don't have to worry about mixing water & anti-freeze. I may try som next weekend when i do my yearly flush & fill... :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: 50/50 pre-mixed coolant?

sentrapower93 said:
While on the subject off coolant flush, anyone try the new 50/50 pre-mixed anti-freeze that's been hitting the auto parts shelves lately. I've seen them at auto zone, it's made by Prestone & Peak. Sure looks like it will make coolant changes alot easier since you just pour it in, and don't have to worry about mixing water & anti-freeze. I may try som next weekend when i do my yearly flush & fill... :)
I flushed my coolant earlier this year and I stuck to the old fashion 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water. When you are draining your coolant out of your car, there is still some old coolant that is running within your car, so you would have to start your car to get the old stuff out, but make sure you put some new coolant in so you don't mess up your cooling system.

PS: I miss the www.b15sentra.net boards for the GA16DE section :(

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Here's what I do:

1.Drain old coolant out (cold).

2.Put in clear water and run it until it's warm. Let it cool and drain. Repeat as necessary so that it drains clean.

3.I then dump in a gallon of premium "long life" anti freeze that is silicate free (because silicates are not good for the water pump [abrasive]).

4.If it overheats, you have an air pocket. You can open a bleeder valve (on the head I think) or you can "burp" it and just top off the coolant. Some ppl raise the front end to eliminated the possibility or air pockets; I don't think I've ever had an air pocket, so I don't know how much of a worry that is..

some tips: That plastic drain plug looks like it can be easily stripped, so be careful. Remember to have your heater selected on, and pull your overflow bottle and flush it out. And remember to be careful with hot coolant!

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
dont you guys have block drain plugs? i thought their was one on the 1.6's. Alot of the Toyota blocks have them, but i dont remember if the Nissans do. they are usually located behind the exhaust manifold.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
yeah, but why bother with block drain plugs, when the lowest point of coolant flow is the lower radiator hose and drain plug???
and for bleeding the system, i use the aforementioned filler/funnel thing, which creates a better and higher point in the cooling system to burp the air, and also run the thing until the thermostat opens......and the heaters on.....

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
or you can our the coolant/water mix into the radiator untill it overfills than start the car and let it run for a while....and keep on adding coolant if necessary, that is how my bvrother bleeded my system couple time and on his cars tooo and enver an air pocket

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
azkicker0027 said:
yeah, but why bother with block drain plugs, when the lowest point of coolant flow is the lower radiator hose and drain plug???
and for bleeding the system, i use the aforementioned filler/funnel thing, which creates a better and higher point in the cooling system to burp the air, and also run the thing until the thermostat opens......and the heaters on.....
actually the block drain plug is at the bottom of the cooling jackets. your lower hose will not get all of the coolant out of the block, that is why they have the drain plug. trust me you wont get all if it out by just pulling the lower hose.

if you follow that pipe that the lower radiator hose is connected to, you will find it is actually higher than the water jackets of the block. drain the radiator AND the block.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
okay, some like the block plug, some like it not, but the amount of coolant there would not be so much, and the really effective way is to run a coolant flush with a proven machine, such services are available in dealers and at a pretty reasonable price.....

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Yes but when you have it done by one of those machines, do you people realize that they recycle the coolant and that's what goes back into your car (not all places do this but it's becoming more commonplace)? When I worked at a (Nissan) dealer we would dump old coolant in a 55 gal drum. Once a week a guy (from Wynn's) would come around and "treat" that concotion and then filter it. It was replenshied with the proper chemicals so it was up to snuff. I still wouldn't put that nasty trash in my car though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We did that where I worked as well. Our coolant machine actually doubled as a recycler and we did it ourselves when the dirty coolant drum got full. I always treated customer cars as if they were my own cars (I'd want someone else to do the same for me) and when I did coolant flushes I would always mix me some brand new 50/50 coolant and water and dump that in the machine and run the flush with new coolant. Of course, we charged customers for the coolant as it was so I figured they should get new coolant when they do it instead of the recycled crap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts