Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 1993 SE-R today and overall I'm pleased with the car except for one thing. When I floor it, it takes a while to pick up whereas if I floor my XE (1.6L) it picks up right away. If I raced the two (which I'll do) I think the XE can take the SE-R for about 4 or 5 seconds and then the SE-R will kill the XE. I know I have to give the car a tune-up, change the air filter, and clean the throttle body but does anyone have any other ideas to what could be responsilbe for this? By the way, they are both automatics.

Thank you,
Paul

·
Registered
413 Posts
B13SentraXE said:
I know I have to give the car a tune-up, change the air filter, and clean the throttle body but does anyone have any other ideas to what could be responsilbe for this? By the way, they are both automatics.
I think you answered your own question. Do that and you'll probably notice a huge difference. Just make sure you follow all the procedures for a tune-up on the SE-R.

1. MAF reground
2. throttle body,
3. plugs, wires, cap & rotor
4. check base idle and timing
5. filter
6. all the EGR/BPT cleaning and/or blocking

Go to www.se-r.net and follow the maintenance and tune-up procedures over there.

Also, depending on the mileage, you might want to change your ATF on the SE-R.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you also may need to start off at a higher rpm. even without the tune up you should be able to beat your xe unless youve modified it. i think once you get a bit experience with the car you should be able to get much faster. when i first got mine i was a bit over 1 second slower in the 1/4 mile than i was after a few weeks of practice. but a tune up always helps.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
do the tune up
don't foget to check the motor mounts
and remember someone may have abused it in it's former life

O

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Before I can do the tune up I have to take care of all the legal stuff, i can't even drive the SE-R, I have it sitting in a garage for now. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have everything taken care of and then move on to the tune up. I'll also race the two sometime next week.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deception se-r said:
you also may need to start off at a higher rpm. even without the tune up you should be able to beat your xe unless youve modified it. i think once you get a bit experience with the car you should be able to get much faster. when i first got mine i was a bit over 1 second slower in the 1/4 mile than i was after a few weeks of practice. but a tune up always helps.
My XE was well taken care of (at least the engine was, I crashed the car 4 too may times.). I spent numerous hours cleaning it out and "fine tunning it" (messing around with the cable that makes it downshift sooner, I forgot what it's called) . As far as mods went all I have is a WAI. The car has quick throttle response and I would power brake (brake torque, whatever you refer to it as) the SE-R but I would like to get a tranny cooler first since I don't know how much life the trans has left in it. My XE beat a '01 chevy prizm, '90 ford probe, and a '90 eclipse (3 out of 5) among other cars. It might not be a big deal but to me it was, all of them are my friends cars and they laughed at my 1.6L until I beat them. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any SE-R should kill a 1.6. I'd race you backwards.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Any SE-R should kill a 1.6. I'd race you backwards.
Okay, that was gay. Unless you have something tangible to contribute, please feel inclined to shut your hole. :mad:

Anyways, I just got my SE-R as well and at first I didn't think the SE-R was all that much quicker than my XE, just a little more torquey and had a much more refined transmission (both mine are 5 speeds though) but after getting used to the SE-R, I realize that .4 liters and 30 more hp makes a world of difference between the two. Lately I'd been driving my XE pretty hard, not beating it, but shifting at higher rpms, and I beat or gained on anyone I raced. Haven't raced anyone in the SE-R yet, however, I'm not used to or as comfortable with the SE-R as I am with the XE and wouldn't be comfortable racing it yet. I like the tighter handling and significantly better braking of the SE-R, but I'm not used to driving it they way I drove the XE. Like others have implied, give yourself time to get used to the car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Where did you enter? SR20 2.0

That's GAA

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nismopc is right on the money with his suggestions, and i have two more to add. Getting a timing gun and raise your timing to 17 degrees and tighten up the slack on your throttle cable as well. Along with a tuneup and cleaning out the throttle body, this should make quite significant gains for your se-r.

John

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't the 1.6L engines have VVT (variable valve timing)? Also aren't they 2 valves per cylinder?

This will help bottom end and is more likely the reason you feel your XE is quicker down low. (intake velocity is much higher). The KA24DE equipped 240SX had a butterfly valve in the intake runners to help increase intake velocity and therefore torque at low RPMs. The SR20DE has no such item.

I have an SE-R but I am impressed with the low end grunt of my co-worker's 1.6L sentra when we take his car at lunch.

Up at the higher revs though it doesn't breathe well and this is where the SR20 will kill the 1.6L.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No the GA16 does not have valve timing. I think SE-R owners would be hearing it from the XE owners all day long if they did. Also honda would be bragging about it so much if nissan had it on their 1.6 like 20 years ago. :D BTW I agree...an se-r should kill an XE.

Ju§tin

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GA engines (the Sentra 1.6L motor) does have variable valve timing. It isn't like the VTEC system where the cams have two different lobes that are switched in and out, just the valve timing is changed.

In my 1991 FSM under the GA engine mechanical section is shows that the engine has variable valve timing and even shows the mechanism

Here's a link that confirms this
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/features/tech/engines/home.shtml

and another
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/april99/mather.shtml

Dave

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Yeah, both the SR20 and the GA16 are DOHC and 16V. Interesting point about the VVT, never heard anyone mention that before. Apparently because it's not the same as Vtech they ignore it's relevance. That rally article was great! I had no idea that a GA could hang like that with AWD turboed eclipses! That guy really knows his shit though, schools anyone I've ever talked to about these cars. I kept thinking, "Why don't they just swap in an SR20 and save all the headache?". Still don't know the answer to that, other than, they didn't need to.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vtech is not variable valve timing, I-Vtech is with it. Variable valve timing and variable valve lift electronic control are two compleatly different things. The first just changes cam timing on the fly like if you had cam sprockets it changes for low, mid ,and high rpm but just the phasing. It doesnt have seperate cam lobes like v-tech does. Now VVL from nissan is both. Are you confused yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts