Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone steer me to a site where I can see the Service Manual for the PF 4WD, 2001. I want to look specifically at the transfer case and the drain and fill plug. I have a shuddering/vibration at 45+mph. Just developed this last week. Mechanic and Dealer tell me that it probably needs a new Transfer Case !!!. Metro 727 - a member here, informs that it may the "U" joint. There is no noise coming from the TC & it can shift into 4WD. The vibration is worse in AUTO mode vs. 2WD mode, but vibration is still evident. I Think metro 727 is right!!. A relative of mine told me that certainly maybe the problem. But the plug is pretty much "frozen' on the TC.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Can anyone steer me to a site where I can see the Service Manual for the PF 4WD, 2001. I want to look specifically at the transfer case and the drain and fill plug. I have a shuddering/vibration at 45+mph. Just developed this last week. Mechanic and Dealer tell me that it probably needs a new Transfer Case !!!. Metro 727 - a member here, informs that it may the "U" joint. There is no noise coming from the TC & it can shift into 4WD. The vibration is worse in AUTO mode vs. 2WD mode, but vibration is still evident. I Think metro 727 is right!!. A relative of mine told me that certainly maybe the problem. But the plug is pretty much "frozen' on the TC.
get underneathe and shake the shaft by grabbing it at the closest point to the U joint. If it wiggles, then you found the problem. If not, check the other end.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NPath: Good advise...Thx. Question: If the wiggle or movement is in the front shaft and U Joint, is it directly attached to the Transfer case? Initial looks by a local mechanic and then by an Infiniti Dealer - say that its a bad transfer case. A relative of mine, a self taught car mechanic - says that the transfer case would make some aweful noise and rumble severely in 4wd, if it were the TC gear damaged. Took it for a test drive yesterday: in 4WD Hi, first time in awhile [I ususally leave it in AUTO mode] at first it made some rumbling noises, and when shifted into R from P it "clunkled" . Granted I did this on dry pavement, but it only rumbles when turning left or right. The "clunk" could not repeated when shifting from R to D and back again. This problem is "driving" me crazy... I don't won't to spend thousands of $$$. My PF's duty is basically local driving with some time to time highway trips. My son ususally drives it - just graduated from College. Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NPath: You are Right!! I told metro272 also on another thread. Front driveshaft - 1 U joint bad. Both will be replaced. Without the shaft installed, it's only 2WD, but the vibration is much better. The mechanic thinks that one of the rear U joints is bad too. At start off you can feel a slight vibration. But the 45+mph one is much better. Thanks for you advice too. All of the others that have inspected the PF - including a Infiniti Dealer who have liked [own 07 G35x], came up with Replce the transfer case, among a slew of other things: $5,000 !!!! in repairs...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metro, while I have your attention, the front passenger side has a water seepage problem. The water comes in Under the carpet onto the floor, NOT dripping from the heater core or A/C??? This started to happen about 1.5 years ago. I thought it was from the windshield, but a mechanic I used in Long Island, said it was a water drainage clog. The wheel well under the door hinges was found to be filled with debris: polynoses, and dirt. There is a weep hole under that. I cleaned all that out, lifted the carpet [the padding was soaked] vacuumed dry, changed the padding, and dired out and deordorized the carpet. It was good, until some heavy snows and rains occurred. The floor and carpetting was wet again...Did the same. This time I left the carpeting pulled up, soaked the windshield area with a hose -even went toa car wash, saw No signs of water seepage, put all the parts back together again. Low and behold, rains a couple of weeks ago, and it gets wet again. Infiniti Dealer (the one who "checked" out my vibration issue) says it from the moonroof - clogged drain that runs down the roof pillar..... How do you access this drain to clean it out?? HELP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts