Nissan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
can i get those rear disk brake adapters from scm now?? ifso i will give them a call and order some. i so want rear disc but im not interested in swaping the rear axle.

G

·
0 Posts
javierb14 said:
there are other options than a jwt ecu....you could spend the $$$$ for a standalone system, or you could use a piggyback comp along with the stock ecu's creature comforts. i know of a few piggyback systems that control fuel and timing, have real time data logging, 3d mapping, have great resolution, and have easy to use software. i there is a great enough interest, i could get a "blackbox" developed for the 1.6.

javier
www.maxrev.com
If its lots cheaper than the JWT ECU then I really would

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
gonzoangel said:

If its lots cheaper than the JWT ECU then I really would
Asssuming that you know how to program it without blowing up your motor. Most people are not capable of programing a standalone correctly to maintain the proper A/F ratio and spark curve.

Mike

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
Asssuming that you know how to program it without blowing up your motor. Most people are not capable of programing a standalone correctly to maintain the proper A/F ratio and spark curve.
this is true, but a simple fuel and timing maps would work for most people.......its just another option. JWT is a great company to use though. jamie farrer ran a pretty quick time with one of jwt's ecus when he first turboed his classic i think.

javier
www.maxrev.com

www.full-race.com

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
javierb14 said:

this is true, but a simple fuel and timing maps would work for most people.......its just another option. JWT is a great company to use though. jamie farrer ran a pretty quick time with one of jwt's ecus when he first turboed his classic i think.

javier
www.maxrev.com

www.full-race.com
There is nothing simple about fuel and spark maps and on a turbo motor the margin for error is narrow. Have you ever programed a stand alone system, have a broadband a/f meter, access to a dyno, can read plugs and have a good ear for detonation?

If not, it is better not to give advice on something that you don't know how to do.

Mike

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
of course its not simple, this is why good tuners are hard to find......and i was not giving advice, just ideas about the options available.

no, i do not own a chassis dyno nor an expensive a/f meter but there are plenty of places around here that rent time or sessions with both.

plugs are easy to anaylze and detonation is quite noticable......

what engine management have you tuned? autronic, motec, tec, aem, haltech, accel, link,..........etc

why not use a different engine management on a boosted 1.6 and view comparisons with jwt's results?

javier
www.maxrev.com
www.full-race.com

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
javierb14 said:
of course its not simple, this is why good tuners are hard to find......and i was not giving advice, just ideas about the options available.

no, i do not own a chassis dyno nor an expensive a/f meter but there are plenty of places around here that rent time or sessions with both.

plugs are easy to anaylze and detonation is quite noticable......

what engine management have you tuned? autronic, motec, tec, aem, haltech, accel, link,..........etc

why not use a different engine management on a boosted 1.6 and view comparisons with jwt's results?

javier
www.maxrev.com
www.full-race.com

It is not easy to read and interpret what you see on spark plugs. You cannot just look at some charts on NGK's websight and be an expert. I have played around with TEC, AEM, DFI, Speed-Pro, and Stock Nissan ECU's. The JWT ECU is optimized for the hotshot turbo kit and it is not nessesary to do a comparison. If you are that knowlagable and curious, do the comparison yourself.

My issue is that you are advising people to try stuff that is somewhat diffuclt to use and you won't be able to advise them further when they heed your alternative advice and get stuck. This is not a flame, just that if you don't know how to work a system, then its not worth bringing up.

Mike

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
My issue is that you are advising people to try stuff that is somewhat diffuclt to use
bolting on a turbo isnt easy either, unless you've had experience....but anyone can ask questions and get answers here, thats what the forums for. besides im not recommending a specific setup...just discussing, there's no harm in that.:)

javier
www.maxrev.com
www.full-race.com

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
landlord said:

have i installed a turbo, no. am i mech inclined, very much so.
oh i forgot i have installed a turbo, me and my dad installed one on his 95 peterbuilt 30ton dumptruck!!!! lol im sure this is much different!!!!;)

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
javierb14 said:

bolting on a turbo isnt easy either, unless you've had experience....but anyone can ask questions and get answers here, thats what the forums for. besides im not recommending a specific setup...just discussing, there's no harm in that.:)

javier
Javier....piece of advice.... stop while you can...lol.... you don't want to get into a tech flame with Mike? It won't be pretty...you will lose....lol

Its a simple fact no one has more experiance and know how with Nissan ecus than JWT... and to tell you the truth we never coinsidered anyone else for the job.... but you can buy a kit and do your own testing and post your findings ..I'm sure it would be quite intersting... heck we would even run it in NPM if it's a benefit to the community..

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
Katana200sx said:
swapping the rearend doesnt seem that hard. from what i see it is only held on by a huge bolt and the shocks. is this the case?
you will have to reconnect the e-brake cables, and some other things. getting the rear beam off w/o killing yourself might be hard as well, its heavy.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts