Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so from what i understand the hot shot turbo is ready for sale? its says that the ecu is not encluded i need it right? or do i send mine to jim wolf and hotshot pays for it? would a cold air intake benefit the turbo? ill call them myself but i thought you guys might have some more info quicker than ill get it form hotshot. i must have this!!! it's going to take me two months but i can hardly wait!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D also how long do you guys think it will take to install this turbo? once i get it ill take a week off work if i have to!!

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
No..you dont really NEED a JWT ecu..but I wouldnt run a turbo car without one...:D

If you send in your ecu, it will still be $585.00 to get it programmed..(you will be getting another ecu, not your own)..if you make changes after that...it will carry a $100 reprogramming fee.

most turbo set ups I have seen have a warm air intake..I believe this is due to plumbing issues.as well as the effects of the cooler air are negated by the turbo..as well as the resonance effect.

have you installed a turbo kit before...? are ou very mechanically inclined..? I know guys who have done numerous installs and they still say it takes at least a week. have you upgraded everything else already? clutch, mounts, etc...do you have gauges? Are your brakes up to the task..? suspension..? just a few of the things you have to consider when boosting a car...Im sure Michael can chime in on what all is involved.

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
ya, dont worry about a CAI just place the IC in good spot.

as far as the install goes, it should only take a couple of days, all you need to do is:

Fuel
bigger pump
bigger injectors
maybe a regulator

Exhaust
remove the oem one and throw it away
bolt up mani and turbo and downpipe
catalytic converter (if you want to)

Oil
install oil feed to turbo
install oil return from turbo to the oil pan

IC
fab up charge piping
mount blowoff valve or bypass

ECU
plug and play

Double check everything for leaks, fuel, oil, boost.......then DRIVE

javier
www.maxrev.com

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Brad

I agree with you totally...I'm no turbo genius, but even I know that the sentra will need some good tweaking to be turbo efficient. And when I say I dont want an IC'd turbo (to keep the power low), people think I'm crazy...but I mean...wise up people, its only a matter of time before something breaks. :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
wouldnt an intercooled turbo car cause less strain on the engine, seeing as its cooling down more?

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Black200SXSER said:
No..you dont really NEED a JWT ecu..but I wouldnt run a turbo car without one...:D

If you send in your ecu, it will still be $585.00 to get it programmed..(you will be getting another ecu, not your own)..if you make changes after that...it will carry a $100 reprogramming fee.
I think you forgot the VTC programming which is an additional $279. How much of a difference would there be without it? Wouldn't it be strange to have VTC and not use it, especially for turbo?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Depending on how much downtime you're going to allow, I'd get another ECU to use temporarily because JWT will take their sweet time to get yours back to you. If you were swapping an SR20 in then you could use a DET ECU until JWT got yours back to you, but I don't know of any options for a GA16 other than using an OEM just so it'll run. As far as a CAI on your turbo, most people don't bother, but when I do mine I'm going to build a ram air plenum which will funnel cooler air coming in below the bumper, under the FMIC and up into the filter. I don't understand why people don't even attempt to get their filters to a cooler spot once they go intercooled turbo. We had this same discussion over at the SR20DEforum awhile back and a few of us thought it was at least worth looking into. So at the very least, I'd try to pipe that filter down low, and if you do a trunk mounted battery you'd have more room for options on this. I wouldn't do a turbo without the IC Andre, you can control your power with your boost level, especially if you spend the money on a nice Electronic Boost Controller. Although I don't know if I'd bother with a top mount at all.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
This is true, but bringing in cooler air in the first place would help a little, enough that it's worth putting your filter further outside of the engine compartment. I figure, the lengths people go to get their times down, I don't know why they commonly overlook this simple and common sense modification. Every little bit helps. They're more than happy to spend $300+ on underdrive pullys that net you a whopping 5hp but installing their IC piping so that they're pulling in cooler air.... Nah! :rolleyes: ;)

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black200SXSER said:
have you installed a turbo kit before...? are ou very mechanically inclined..? I know guys who have done numerous installs and they still say it takes at least a week. have you upgraded everything else already? clutch, mounts, etc...do you have gauges? Are your brakes up to the task..? suspension..? just a few of the things you have to consider when boosting a car...Im sure Michael can chime in on what all is involved.
have i installed a turbo, no. am i mech inclined, very much so. i will work for 20 hours a day if i have to. have i done the other upgrades, not yet, but do realize it needs to be done, im working like 88 to 95 hours a week and been eating nothing but ramen noodles to pay for all this!! with in the nextr month most of your suggested mods will be done, and in two to three months ill have the money for the turbo kit itself. like my sig. says my goal is 9.5 and i have along way to go!!!! speaking of 9.5 any one know the best place with ph# to get titanium rods, low compression pistons, head gaskets, and crank custom made? i will need these things to reah my goal. anyway incase your wondering why i have the time to even type this im at work right now!!! god i love this job!:D

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Black200SXSER said:

have you upgraded everything else already? clutch, mounts, etc...do you have gauges? Are your brakes up to the task..? suspension..? just a few of the things you have to consider when boosting a car...Im sure Michael can chime in on what all is involved.
True! I would have been scared sh**less to drive Project 200SX with the wimpy stock brakes,,,I would suggest installing AD22VF's brakes with braided lines before you even think about going turbo and the added power will make short work of the stock clutch.

This would be true of any platform you intend on building up....

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
myoung said:

True! I would have been scared sh**less to drive Project 200SX with the wimpy stock brakes,,,I would suggest installing AD22VF's brakes with braided lines before you even think about going turbo and the added power will make short work of the stock clutch.

This would be true of any platform you intend on building up....
oh i know, the stock brakes scare me now!!! and i have nothing but advanced timing and a wai! i think the stock brakes are pathetic! i dont know if i should get the ad22vf in a junkyard from an auto parts store or from a company that sells the kit, any opinions?

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
The stock brakes really do suck, driving with the mods I have I know I need to upgrade. Going turbo with the stock brakes, that's just crazy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will agree that the stock brakes really do suck that is why I just got in the mail yesterday my Fastbrakes brake upgrade kit and I will be installing that this weekend. woooo hoooo good brakes will be on very soon :D :D :D

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
there are other options than a jwt ecu....you could spend the $$$$ for a standalone system, or you could use a piggyback comp along with the stock ecu's creature comforts. i know of a few piggyback systems that control fuel and timing, have real time data logging, 3d mapping, have great resolution, and have easy to use software. i there is a great enough interest, i could get a "blackbox" developed for the 1.6.

javier
www.maxrev.com

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
chef said:
I will agree that the stock brakes really do suck that is why I just got in the mail yesterday my Fastbrakes brake upgrade kit and I will be installing that this weekend. woooo hoooo good brakes will be on very soon :D :D :D
are you talking about the kit that changes the rear drums to discs? anyone know when this is coming out?

·
Registered
99 Posts
those are just the fronts, the person at fastbrakes is working on the rear conversion. He told me he is trying to get the designs that SMC made and then use them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts