Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
VVL'd
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? Is there anything else I need for it? Looks like I will probably need a catalytic converter since I think mine has a resonator instead of a second cat underneath. Also, how much different does it sound. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think just about everyone on the boards has one. Sounds really nice if you've got a well designed exhaust system. I've heard that it can get raspy at high RPM's and some members have reported a cricket noise that seems to come from the flexjoint. I had the cricket noise but it disappeared when I finished my entire system. One other thing you'll need to do is lengthen the secondary O2 sensor so it'll screw into the CAT. Check out www.nissanperformancemag.com for detailed instructions for the install. The instructions are perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing, I see in your SIG that you're thinking about going turbo. If so, don't bother putting in the HS Header cause you'll need to get rid of it anyways if you do go turbo. So just save your money.:D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good thing too. By the time we're done saving up for it Hotshot may very well have worked all the kinks out of it. It's a brand new system you know. By then the price might even go down a little bit.

·
VVL'd
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I cant quite figure out is what is underneath the car after the header...Its either a second cat or a resonator.. anyone know what it might be? I _think_ its a resonator because if it is, I guess I'll need to get a cat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's your secondary Cat. On project 200SX, two Cats were found in the stock system of Mike Young's 98 200SX. One up front, built right into the stock exhaust manifold and the second full sized Cat, located underneath attached to the secondary piping.

That is if the car your talking about is the one in your profile and sig...:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oops...one additional thing...that was based on a Cali model Sentra. Federal models will have a resonater instead of the secondary Cat. Don't know which one you have. If it's a Federal model you'll be fine....

Sorry for the confusion...:(

·
Registered
702 Posts
if you have money for the header then seriously go for it because the stock has 2 ports instead of 4. robbing your power obviously...open it up a little bit by the hotshot header which will give you one port for each cylinder instead of 1 port for 2. i hate the stock one plus it looks so damn stupid

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
James said:
The CA model had one CAT built into the manifold, the one underneath is a resonator. If you have the Fed model you don't need the cat, if you have a CA model you need to get a cat and lengthen the wires to the o2 sensor and move it to a location behind the Cat...
I have the Federal model. The resonator is further along down the pipe. It says underneath the hood something like this car meets Federal EPA standards. The cali sentras say they meet cali and fed standards.

Question: With the hot shot headers, since i live in cali and i dont have the second cat, will i need to get another cat to keep within emissions??

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Teknokid said:

I have the Federal model. The resonator is further along down the pipe. It says underneath the hood something like this car meets Federal EPA standards. The cali sentras say they meet cali and fed standards.

Question: With the hot shot headers, since i live in cali and i dont have the second cat, will i need to get another cat to keep within emissions??
The CA model has the cat in the manifold in the engine bay... if you put in headers there's no more cat. That's why you need to put in another cat further down th exhaust. If you have the Fed model the cat is already further along the exhaust. So no you don't need another cat but you will not pass CA emissions regardless.

·
VVL'd
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well this is how it looks.... I have the same looking header as in project 200sx..the cat/header, then the pipe leads back underneath the engine, then hooks up to whatever it is (resonator or cat) then leads back to the muffler. I still have a couple weeks til the Hotshot header is sent out since they said they ran out of material to make the header and was going to take a few weeks to get the materials.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
James said:

If you have the Fed model the cat is already further along the exhaust. So no you don't need another cat but you will not pass CA emissions regardless.
Are you saying if i get the hot shot header, I wont pass cali emissions?? or youre saying even without the header i still wont pass. Cause my sis in law took it to get smogged in April and it passed.

·
Banned
809 Posts
that is a good question, and here is the answer (by my words)

I believe that there are 2 cats on mine, but i am in tx.. wierd huh..

There is the Pre-Cat on the headers, then the Cat underneath, some have resonators, in which case, they are screwed with headers, unless they buy a random tech. cat. Now, in my opinion, i dont know if aftermarket headers are even allowed, i know some places in houston wont let INtakes go.. i dont know about preformance exaust's, they must, cause my 1990 ford tempo had a magnaBLow muffler on it, and it passed. (not ranking on magnaflow, ranking on the car)

I think that the headers should be fine, so long as the stock O2's remain in place, and working..

·
Registered
45 Posts
The following setup WILL PASS the Cali "WAND" Test but fail the VISUAL.

Header -- Aftermarket Cat -- Piping -- Muffler

Your car won't pollute but since you removed the Cat and relocated it underneath the vehicle, the tech will see that and won't pass you because it doesn't look like stock...ergo the "visual" test.

Go to www.nissanperformancemag.com and read up on the HS Header install. It's got very accurate instructions on what to do. Also go to www.sentra.net and read up on this topic in Kojima's Garage.

·
Banned
809 Posts
i have an OBX header, Its beautiful, stainless steel, about 1/4 the price of the headers of hotshot. adn almost exact same quality. (hs might have more HP) I am not sure, havent seen OBX dyno's.. its a 1 peace design, i think it would be better than a 2 peace... we shall see :).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts