Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil today when I noticed a huge rust spot on my hotshot header... right where the downpipe meets the cat and it looks like the whole downpipe is starting to flake from inside. I got this header from LIUSPEED about two months ago... I'm not sure what generation it is but it looks like garbage and it was over 400 dollars. I will try to contact Hotshot about this, I hate to contact them trying to describe how much their product sucks. I'm really deceived and I feel really bad about the money spent on it. And you would think they had the best header for my car =(

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Is it possible oil has been dripping on that part? At any rate my header did in fact start to slightly corrode over time but it took over 2 years for it to get anywhere near that level. On the previous header the coating company they used had a guarantee on the coating. You may want to contact Hot Shot and see if they are using a company that provides a guarantee.

The other thing is that you live in the center of the rust belt. Driving the car during winter especially on Chicago roads is going to expedite the corrosion process.

The rest of the header appears to look just fine, that leads me back to the oil issue.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the oil dripping in the 4th pic down is cause I was changing the oil filter. There's no way oil would get to that point where it rusted. It looks like it started to rust from inside out like I said. The ceramic coating comes off just like cheap paint.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Twiz said:
No the oil dripping in the 4th pic down is cause I was changing the oil filter. There's no way oil would get to that point where it rusted. It looks like it started to rust from inside out like I said. The ceramic coating comes off just like cheap paint.
It is not rusting from the inside out. Like I said to get any results your going to have to research of the coating has a guarantee. My header (back in the day) came with a seperate guarantee from the coater. Like I said I am not sure if HS still uses this coater, but it is worth a phone call.

The long and short is that it is a part that exposed the harsh conditions under your car. Ceramic coating is not indestructable and this will not affect the performane of the part itself.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree... some of the expressways in Chicago have a large amount of salt. What would you recommend if I tried to fix this rust spot myself ? What kind of primer? High heat paint ? How many coats of paint ?... It's underneath the car so I don't care too much about the looks but I want to get it fixed before it starts to flake even more... I'm even willing to take it off completely and recoat it with paint that'll hold up.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Twiz said:
I agree... some of the expressways in Chicago have a large amount of salt. What would you recommend if I tried to fix this rust spot myself ? What kind of primer? High heat paint ? How many coats of paint ?... It's underneath the car so I don't care too much about the looks but I want to get it fixed before it starts to flake even more... I'm even willing to take it off completely and recoat it with paint that'll hold up.
Most paint is going to flake off eventually. If HS does not have the coating guarantee then I would do the following.

Remove the secondary pipe, use masking tape and mask off about 2" away from the flaking. Use a sander/sandpaper to remove all coating from the masking tape to the flange. CLean with brake kleen and then with glass plus. Buy some high temp barbeque grill spray paint and doe several ligth coats. I would let it cure for 24 hours before I put it on the car. This is an easy fix and will allow you to touch it up cheaply at any time.

The only other option is to have it ceramic coated but again given the location and conditions it just may happen again. Thy only coating that would withstand the climate conditions is powder coating however it is not meant for parts that exceed 400 degrees.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I was thinking the same paint I used on my brake drums and rotors I know that withstands high temperatures really nice. You may delete or close this thread anytime you like and thanks again!

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry.. did I say that it rusted after 2 months ? I was wrong... it was one month actually

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I'm done refinishing the downpipe from my two month old HS header... I did not call Hotshot cause I don't have time to screw around with a new downpipe that'll end up the same... it didn't take too much I stripped down the whole downpipe from the ceramic coat ...whatever was left out of it... then I got a $3.97 silver High Heat Rustoleum spray paint can from Home Depot... 3 light coats... also I upgraded all 3/8 bolts connecting the downpipe to stainless steel (Home Depot rocks) you'll need three 1 1/2" x 3/8 bolts for the front connection and two 1" x 3/8 for the cat connection and five nuts . Everything seems to be fine for almost a week now I'll keep you updated on how the paint withstands heat.

Oh and before you flame any other vendor here's what a 50 dollar rear portion exhaust (potato gun lol) looks like after 4 months on my car...

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is the state of mine after a year...but i am in sunny ol england so in some ways i kind of expect it!

I'm going to get it polished up and receramic coated i think...but not sure yet...as i'm planning to go turbo might the expense might not be worth it..yet it migh bump up resale value..who knows...

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That blue GA16DE valve cover looks really sharp... I love it... I agree the performance on the hotshot header is good maybe one of the best I didn't try the stainless T304 headers yet but the life expectancy sucks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Twiz said:
That blue GA16DE valve cover looks really sharp... I love it... I agree the performance on the hotshot header is good maybe one of the best I didn't try the stainless T304 headers yet but the life expectancy sucks.
about 10 minutes in labour to paint it....about 3 hours to get the paint off the letters/numbers with a stanley blade :rolleyes: forgot to mask them off!!

I would of thought the ceramic coating would have lasted a wee bit longer too but it doesn't affect performance really just looks...!

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
The high heat Rustoleum will hold up very well and last a while. I have used it on charcol grills and on my car.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts
Twiz said:
Oh and before you flame any other vendor here's what a 50 dollar rear portion exhaust (potato gun lol) looks like after 4 months on my car...

Twiz,
OK I like this, where did you get it from ? More details please.
Thanks

·
**best avatar award**
2,596 Posts
damn, that sucks about your header. i've had my 5th gen for well over a year and it doesn't look anything like that.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IanH said:
So the SER exhast fits a Ga ? Is this also true for a B14 ?

thanks Ian.
The bolt-on pipe on the B14 rear exhaust is slightly shorter... I looked up the part numbers for both cars and they have diff. numbers and they look diff. in pictures too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts