Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal..I've managed to save up about $250.. My engine is completely stock right now.. I was thinking of adding a HS Header or a HS CAI, but am not sure which i should do first.. i am going to have both eventually.. right now i can only afford a used header, but a new CAI.. which would give me more power for my money... is there any other engine upgrade i should do first, or am i on the right track? so far im leaning more towards a CAI.. any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
A header is generally the biggest bolt-on power gain on our NA cars and will deliver a much higher gain than a CAI. With a stock exhaust or an exhaust without a resonator, it may sound bad though.

I am guessing you are going the I/H/E route which is always the best start. If you dont mind a somewhat odd sound, I would get the header first as you will be able to feel the gains. You will hear a nicer sound with a CAI, but the gains will not be nearly as noticable.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
UnkalledFor said:
about how much HP/TQ would i gain with the HS Header? i know with the CAI its something like 4 HP...correct me if i am wrong...

thats about right, though sometimes a CAI can give you 6-7 whp on the open road.

ide go with a used header, as it gives you more power. period.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
myoung said:
Go with the CAI..always a good first mod...easy to install as well..
yes I agree, expecially if your just getting started on mods and havn't really done anything to a car beforehand. And also I'd reccomend getting your header when you can do the FULL EXHAUST.

otherwise you'll have the header installed and then have to go have a piece of pipe put on to go from your header to your exhaust. (extra expenese if your gonna eventully do the full exhaust.

You should be able to go to a shop and get a custom exhaust for 200-250. Get a SR20 cat to go in the middle there.
so you'd be looking at this:
USED HS header - about 200-250
USED sr20 cat - about 40-70
Custom bent exhaust - 200-250, more if you go with mandrel bends.

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xbrandonx said:
And also I'd reccomend getting your header when you can do the FULL EXHAUST.
thats what i was thinking of doing.. getting my headers when i can afford the full exhaust system.. i think i'll go with the cold air..

another thing.. will adding the CAI improve or lower my fuel efficiency? and which air filter will give the best results with the HS CAI?

Thanks again for the info :thumbup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
i think you should start with the cold-air first. gains,response,and sound are very noticable. then do exhaust work. then youll really start feeling a difference. especially on a cold day.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
wes said:
Not puddles so much as standing water. I have autocrossed in the rain with 1" deep puddles and NEVER had any issues when I had my HS CAI.
autocrossing in the rain sound REALLY fun :)

and for more info on CAI's and their pros/cons, search, because its been discussed ALOT.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yea here in florida, we get alot of rain. but i didnt see a problem with the cai on rainy days. the cai will function the best on cold days especially on open roads. youll really feel it.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
tony200 said:
1 thing about the cai is you gotta watch out for puddles
haha ...I laugh because this has been gone over and gone over so many times.... unless those "puddles" are 2 foot deep and last for a block you have nothing to worry about with a CAI ... please do the research before passing innacurate information.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well myoung i live in florida and puddles here are quite deep. but i dont have problems with my cai. trust me i do alot of research.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
tony200 said:
well myoung i live in florida and puddles here are quite deep. but i dont have problems with my cai. trust me i do alot of research.
hmmm, so you DON'T have problems with your deep puddles but you gotta watch out?

anyways if you are really that worried about it AEM sells a bypass valve for it. I think they are lke 45$.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts