Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to lower the sound that they make.. i feel ridiculous with the loud noise it produces..

I have my HS Header and Stromung exhaust ready to install.. i'm wondering if replaicng the HS CAI with the stock intake setup would significantlly effect the Header/Exhaust part of it all

PS : i don't like the loud noise it makes, any tips would be appreciated

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
I have a CAI , stromung, HS header. I too was concern about the noise problem however I find it rather quite and only when I give a fast rev will the intake roar but it doesnt sound bad and rarely notice it one normarl driving. But the idea of replacing the stock intake kind of defeats the whole purpose of breathing and exhausting more effiecently however it the noise is still to loud there wont be any problem you may stand to lose the 1-2 hp you have gain with the CAI

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
Make it a warm intake.
A WAI is only slighty quieter only because it muffled under the hood, If the CAI bothers you then the WAI will likely do the same

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If your cold air intake bothers you, your going to have real problems with the header/ exhaust noise. Once that stuff is installed you wont even hear your CAI anymore.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nostrodomas said:
If your cold air intake bothers you, your going to have real problems with the header/ exhaust noise. Once that stuff is installed you wont even hear your CAI anymore.
I got the resonator option with my Stromung.. will that still be true about the noise

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nostrodomas said:
Well it sure doesnt sound like stock. More of a low growl. Are you running stock exhaust right now?
Yea i'm running it stock..

So um.. even with a resonator it will sound growlie and shit?

A low deep growl is cool

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
not to be a dick...but what did you expect? lol, i mean c'mon...i for one enjoy the sound of the intake to that of an exhaust any day of the week. a resonator wont really do wonders in terms of quieting the exhaust system.. there is nothing u can really do about quieting the CAI other than to make it a shortram/WAI....if you want performance without ANY sound whatsoever...ud have to go back to stock and get some nitrous i suppose....hahaha

·
Registered
102 Posts
cHoPs said:
not to be a dick...but what did you expect? lol, i mean c'mon...i for one enjoy the sound of the intake to that of an exhaust any day of the week. a resonator wont really do wonders in terms of quieting the exhaust system.. there is nothing u can really do about quieting the CAI other than to make it a shortram/WAI....if you want performance without ANY sound whatsoever...ud have to go back to stock and get some nitrous i suppose....hahaha

I've got short ram intake and mine sounds loud as crap. It's that shitty Ractive cone tho... I'm saving to get some real CAI... Is it going to be louder? I love the way it sounds now... but it must look funny as hell to watch such a nice sounding car to goooo.....so......slooooooowww.... :thumbdwn:

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If you get a CAI, you wont hear the noise not much at all, inside the car. Since the filter will be inside the fender well. It will not be as loud out side the car either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nostrodomas said:
If you get a CAI, you wont hear the noise not much at all, inside the car. Since the filter will be inside the fender well. It will not be as loud out side the car either.
That's not to say that it can't still be loud.. with the HS CAI it is a nice deepy throaty, non-offensive sound.

I also got a Stromung now.. it is so loud, even with a resonator.. i thought the resonator would muffle shit to the point where it wouldn't be all ricey, but it is (by my standards)

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Uni said:
That's not to say that it can't still be loud.. with the HS CAI it is a nice deepy throaty, non-offensive sound.

I also got a Stromung now.. it is so loud, even with a resonator.. i thought the resonator would muffle shit to the point where it wouldn't be all ricey, but it is (by my standards)

I don't think the stromung sounds ricy at all, but then again I also have a HS header to go along with it. It does have a pretty nice sound, but only under the throttle, idle sounds almost stock and it gets pretty quiet once you've hit the speed you want and shift all they way up (mines an auto so once it gets shifted up there is almost no noise at all)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xbrandonx said:
I don't think the stromung sounds ricy at all, but then again I also have a HS header to go along with it. It does have a pretty nice sound, but only under the throttle, idle sounds almost stock and it gets pretty quiet once you've hit the speed you want and shift all they way up (mines an auto so once it gets shifted up there is almost no noise at all)
My shit sounds ricey right now because a flange is laying right up against the gas tank shield.. it is touching it enough where it can move back and forth from the engine's vibrations that it sounds very ricey.

Other than that.. the car sounds real good. But like someone says.. it's ufnny to get such a healthy.. powerful sound coming from a 9? Hp car :(

I odn't know what size res i got.. it came with the Stromung

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Uni said:

I personally think the Stromung is the LEAST "ricey" sounding exhaust. I mean it is an aftermarket exhaust so it will not be as quiet as the stocker... Ricey implies a raspy harsh loud tone and the Stromung with a resonator is not that. I can't think of an exhaust that is quieter... Perhaps you could try a twin loop style muffler if it is stil too loud for you.

Anyway the CAI will be louder than the stock intake however I always liked the sound...

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i got used to the sound of my intake, but i wonder if there would be a way to make a "baffling chamber" like on the stock intake (that black box where the filter is now)

i to would like HP with a 100% stock quiet....but nay :( turbo should quiet it down alittle ;) (or so i have heard)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wes said:
I personally think the Stromung is the LEAST "ricey" sounding exhaust. I mean it is an aftermarket exhaust so it will not be as quiet as the stocker... Ricey implies a raspy harsh loud tone and the Stromung with a resonator is not that. I can't think of an exhaust that is quieter... Perhaps you could try a twin loop style muffler if it is stil too loud for you.

Anyway the CAI will be louder than the stock intake however I always liked the sound...
Right now a flange is up against the gas tank shield.. it is rattling.. so every time i hit the gas.. it starts sounding very ricey.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Uni said:
Right now a flange is up against the gas tank shield.. it is rattling.. so every time i hit the gas.. it starts sounding very ricey.
A rattle is not ricey... unless it has a type r neon pink bulb that goes off with it ;)

Seriously though...exactly were is it hitting?

The first three pics are of the normal 2" Stromung

Larger size..2 1/2".. still no rattles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts