Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing a power wire from an amp. I did not disconnect the cable from the battery before removing it from the car. When I was getting to pulling it out near the firewall, inside the car, it hit a pice of steel and sparked. Now when I turn the key, it makes all kinds of weird noise and doesnt do anything. Anyone know anything, that could have commonly shorted out, or some kind of module or something?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all of them. Iit weird too cause all went bezerk yesterday and wouldnt start, then it started today. Now again this afternoon, it wont start.

Is there anyway to get an electrical problem diagnosed?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
No ones replying because they are probably shaking their heads in dismay....... Don't ever mess with power wires around bare metal, disconnect the battery first. What is meant by "weird noise" ??

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
thou I not entirely sure it truth
but I've talked to some guy awhile back who was in the battery business he told me that a old battery that gets its postive and negitvie to touch each other, can cause the battery to go bad even if its just a quick spark , he also mention how this can create havoc on the electrical system causing to act crazy and only a new battery can slove this problem. He sound like he know his stuff and had no reason to make this up.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
97SE-R said:
Just lots of clicking and improper function. It wont start either.
You might have just blown some fusible links. If you got real lucky, the battery mighta been slightly weak, just needs a recharge. Check the cable connections on the battery itself, try a jump start. Don't freak out yet, not til the engines run backwards........ ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the fuseable links? Are those the big black square fuses under the hood? Is it possible for it to function properly sometimes, and then just have a meltdown?

If those big black fuses are the links, how do you check that they are bad? They dont have see-thru windows to look for damage, or a burnout.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just went out and hook the battery cables back up. All the lights on the dash (seatbelt, check engine, oil, etc.) without even having the key in the ignition. I think I am doomed!

·
3,553 Posts
Do you know ANYTHING about electrical systems, or are you just taking stabs in the dark here?

If the stereo amp cable was run direct to the battery with no fuse, it's very likely that you've shorted your ECU. Expensive boo-boo, man...

Does the amp cable still have power, or is it dead? Check with a voltmeter this time...don't spark it against something to see if it still has power on it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just taking stabs. The amp cable did have a fuse on it. But I dont think the fuse on the cable had burned out. After that the AMP would not power up. The car has started and ran for a while after this incident, but now it decided to take a shit. I know its associated. But why the work sometimes, and then sometimes not?

The amp is also out of the car now.

ACU???

Although I dont have much experiance with electrical systems, I am more into finding things out myself and experimenting. In the long run you educate yourself, and you can save a fortune.

·
Registered
98 Posts
97SE-R said:

ECU its located behind your radio on the floor. once you locate it take it out and take the cover off. i did something similar to my car. youll know if it the ECU when you look at the circut board if you see any burn marks on it its fried. just go to your local junk yard and pick a new/used one up for $15.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Ouch, no, hot, bad. We don't thread live wires throughout the car. Bad.

I really doubt it's the ECU. It's very hard to fry the ECU, unless it's already defective from the factory, which is also rare. $15 for a new SE-R ECU? Haha, first of all, you'll have to do a national search on car-part.com (since it's rear to see one near you), you need a 95-97 SR20 ECU (auto or manual), the average cost is $50 + ship. It just so happens I just bought a 95 SR20 M/T ECU last week for $75-shipped, it'll be going to JWT real soon.

First off, you say the wire touched the firewall, what was on the other end of the wire and what was it connected to? I doubt you fried any wires, a spark only takes a fraction of a second and the temperature of a wire is a function of time. It is somewhat possible you fried some sort of connector or switch or relay, you'll have to trace anything between the wire and the battery.

I would say it's 95% likely you just blew a fuse. Up by the battery there should be 2 black fuse boxes (I believe SE-Rs have 2, non SE-Rs have just 1). First, check out the big ones, they're green or brown ranging from ~25A to ~70A, it's prolly in there. If you don't see one that looks blown, get a fuse tester and check them all again. After that, check all the smaller fuses by the battery with a fuse tester. If nothing, your last (but least likely) bet is that it's one of the other fuses in the dash under the wheel.

If nothing came up run the following diagnostics:
1. check headlights, are they dim?
2. put the key in and turn it once to ACC. Do you hear a click coming from the dimmer switch area?
3. While the key is in ACC, does the radio work? Does the cig. lighter work?
4. turn the key to ON. Did you hear another click from the dimmer sw. area?
5. right after the key is placed in the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump for about 2 sec, it's a motor or hissing sound.
6. in ON mode does the AC blower turn on? are there lights in the instrument panel? Do the power windows work?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
I really doubt it's the ECU. It's very hard to fry the ECU, unless it's already defective from the factory, which is also rare. $15 for a new SE-R ECU?
local junk yard sells any ecu for $15. yes it is used but since its hard to fry the ecu it should work, like new. i didnt have any problem finding one for the b13 but since you need one for the b14 sr20 it might be a bit harder to find.
And i should comment its not that hard to fry the ECU i did it quite easly, not trying to brag about doing someting dumb, but it can be done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
PSr_SEX-R said:
but since its hard to fry the ecu it should work, like new.

And i should comment its not that hard to fry the ECU i did it quite easly, .
Ummm, so which one is it??? :) :) :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts