Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,

The past few months (a little less in winter cuz outside temps are lower) my car has been idling low or stalling when I run it up to operating temperature and then stop it to run an errand, and then restart.

It starts and idles fine with a cold engine, but when its still hot, it has the problem. I had an exhaust leak repaired and it still does it.

This summer I scrapped the exhaust manifold heat shield and wrapped the manifold all the way down the downpipe with header wrap. But at the time it didnt cause this problem, just a little boost at certain rpms ;)

I bought a new O2 sensr since it still has the original in it, but its not yet installed. I didnt put it in because I was concerned if there is a cat problem I dont want to burn a new sensor for nothing.

When I went in for the exhaust leak repair (it was just before the cat), I asked how to diagnose a clogged cat and the tech said that I'll have engine problems. :rolleyes:

My solution so far has been to lightly give it some throttle just after a hot start, so it idles up better.

I've got new plugs (NGK platinums) and wires in there, new muffler, modded air intake (larger ABS pipe that brings cold aire from wheel well into stock airbox), new air and fuel filters...

Any suggestions would be well-received. Whats the lifespan for these cats? Can I know if its toast or what?

Dan in snowland (OK more like coldland today)
 

·
OT's E-Referee
Joined
·
904 Posts
Dan9 said:
Hiya folks,

The past few months (a little less in winter cuz outside temps are lower) my car has been idling low or stalling when I run it up to operating temperature and then stop it to run an errand, and then restart.

It starts and idles fine with a cold engine, but when its still hot, it has the problem. I had an exhaust leak repaired and it still does it.

This summer I scrapped the exhaust manifold heat shield and wrapped the manifold all the way down the downpipe with header wrap. But at the time it didnt cause this problem, just a little boost at certain rpms ;)

I bought a new O2 sensr since it still has the original in it, but its not yet installed. I didnt put it in because I was concerned if there is a cat problem I dont want to burn a new sensor for nothing.

When I went in for the exhaust leak repair (it was just before the cat), I asked how to diagnose a clogged cat and the tech said that I'll have engine problems. :rolleyes:

My solution so far has been to lightly give it some throttle just after a hot start, so it idles up better.

I've got new plugs (NGK platinums) and wires in there, new muffler, modded air intake (larger ABS pipe that brings cold aire from wheel well into stock airbox), new air and fuel filters...

Any suggestions would be well-received. Whats the lifespan for these cats? Can I know if its toast or what?

Dan in snowland (OK more like coldland today)
When the car is cold it will normally idle high til it's warmed up which is why it does better when it's colder out. I had problems with a low idle and stalling after installing JWT S1 cams and out of curiosity I cleaned out the IAC valve with throttle body cleaner and I haven't had any problems since. Before the rpms would drop to 100-200 rpms when I'd hit the clutch coming to a stop and sometimes stall but now it idles properly and runs like a charm. Try that. It's a simple thing to do and is cheap.

Mitch
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
2nd the IAVC valve. When it gets gummed up, it can cause problems like you are having. Before you go replacing the cat, try cleaning the valve and the throttle body. You will notice the difference I'm sure.
 

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

I saw the how-to for the IACV by catman I think, its on my roster as is a throttle body cleaning, but since I have no garage and its minus a million degress outside it'll have to wait.

For now, when I hot start as soon as it catches I give it a liiiiitle gas so it wont stall.

Thanks a lot!!!

D




Kindfiend said:
2nd the IAVC valve. When it gets gummed up, it can cause problems like you are having. Before you go replacing the cat, try cleaning the valve and the throttle body. You will notice the difference I'm sure.
 

·
OT's E-Referee
Joined
·
904 Posts
Dan9 said:
I saw the how-to for the IACV by catman I think, its on my roster as is a throttle body cleaning, but since I have no garage and its minus a million degress outside it'll have to wait.

For now, when I hot start as soon as it catches I give it a liiiiitle gas so it wont stall.

Thanks a lot!!!

D
I hear ya on that. I heard how cold it is up there. I thought it was cold here at single digits til I saw that some places farther north are getting around -50 degrees F and worse. As long as it's not dying on you completely then waiting for better weather is a good idea.

Mitch
 

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
late but not never

Last week I took off aND cleaned the IACV, cleaned what I could get at in the throttle body without removing it...no more hot stall. I still need to recheck the idle speed tho.

D
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top