Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have a mice/rat problem around their vehicles? I have my Xtrail parked with storage insurance in my back driveway. We have had a rat/mice problem for years, inside the home and outside in the outdoor tool sheds. Same with at least 2-3 next door neighbors.
So this afternoon i go and hook up my battery, start my truck. No issues, easily starts and runs. I go turn the Xtrail's heating ventilation knob and i hear funny strained noises.
Like a clogged up vacuum cleaner. It was working fine just befor xmas 2021. The cabin air filter was brand new in March 2021.
I suspected the rats did some munching on my cabin air filter. So i pull out the cabin air filter and HOLY GROSSINESS!......1/3 the cabin filter was destroyed/chewed up, pooped on all over...and whatever else disgusting they could think of doing to it. I quickly threw it away and vacuum up the cabin filter compartment and inside the heater blower motor area . Felt around, was nice and clean after the vacuuming. Tomorrow i go order and buy a new cabin filter.
But how do i prevent this from happening again??? i was putting hot cayenne / hot black pepper sprinkled on my engine cover/battery and any areas i saw rat poop. But rodents are persistent little bastards.
Any tricks /tips to help keep the rdents from returning and doing severe damage? ( my next door neighbor had two of his vehicles damaged with rat chewing up his wires in the past two years. His mercedes was a $1000+ repair! )
Cartoon Carnivore Whiskers Font Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If you don't mind the smell of peppermint, spraying peppermint oil under the dash and through the whole engine box will keep them away and drive out any that might be in residence. It's what we use at the dealership to "chase" vehicles that might be carrying rodents around, and it works on all kinds, even raccoons.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't mind the smell of peppermint, spraying peppermint oil under the dash and through the whole engine box will keep them away and drive out any that might be in residence. It's what we use at the dealership to "chase" vehicles that might be carrying rodents around, and it works on all kinds, even raccoons.
i've heard that peppermint trick before and i'm going to Walmart today to get my father's prescription/groceries. I think i buy some peppermint oil and use it in the Xtrail and inside the house. It is a more appealing scent then mothballs!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've heard that peppermint trick before and . I think i buy some peppermint oil and use it in the Xtrail and inside the house. It is a more appealing scent Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a 50/50 ammonia and water solution under the hood for years. To rats it may smell like another creature's abode and they stay away. Also use a high pressure washer with soap under the hood to rid the smell of their droppings. Rats are blind at night but could smell their way back to your vehicle even if parked away from your home. They mark with feces and urine and loved to pee on my battery and shock mounts. Very tricky and smart. Also in spring when they get pregnant they love the warm valve covers to nest upon. Consider a sticky mat to place under the hood at night. I also use a rat trap (looks like bear trap) with a fresh piece of fruit. They love water melon but may learn to get it out without triggering trap. Very smart creatures. One time years ago, I had a four cylinder Mitsubishi Lancer. Came out one morning, started the car and noticed I wasn't running on all 4 cylinders. Opened the hood and put my hand near the valve cover to clear a mass of debris that a rat collected from my firewall insulation and made a nice soft bed. When I put my hand at the valve cover, I received the shock of my life. The rascal chewed through the number three wire to make room for herself and my hand happened to complete the circuit. Talk about cursing out the wildlife....hahaha

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a 50/50 ammonia and water solution under the hood for years. To rats it may smell like another creature's abode and they stay away. Also use a high pressure washer with soap under the hood to rid the smell of their droppings. Rats are blind at night but could smell their way back to your vehicle even if parked away from your home. They mark with feces and urine and loved to pee on my battery and shock mounts. Very tricky and smart. Also in spring when they get pregnant they love the warm valve covers to nest upon. Consider a sticky mat to place under the hood at night. I also use a rat trap (looks like bear trap) with a fresh piece of fruit. They love water melon but may learn to get it out without triggering trap. Very smart creatures. One time years ago, I had a four cylinder Mitsubishi Lancer. Came out one morning, started the car and noticed I wasn't running on all 4 cylinders. Opened the hood and put my hand near the valve cover to clear a mass of debris that a rat collected from my firewall insulation and made a nice soft bed. When I put my hand at the valve cover, I received the shock of my life. The rascal chewed through the number three wire to make room for herself and my hand happened to complete the circuit. Talk about cursing out the wildlife....hahaha
wow..lol.
Ya, vermin so hard to get rid of.
We have two fridges outside in a outdoor tool shed at the back of the house. The new one is about 5 years old and seems to work fine. The other fridge is about 18 years old...or more. Only the freezer part semi works, the lower fridge part stopped working long ago except for the light that turns on. I noticed chewed up insulation around the base of the old fridge. So i figure the mice have gotten to the underside or back of the old fridge and are chewing up fridge insulation.
One day the home will be put up for sale. A big big cleanup will be needed.
And i'm afraid a potential buyer will be scared off once they notice rat/mice droppings/damages.....or a home inspector report warns about rodent infestestion ! too bad burning down the home is illegal. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow..lol.
Ya, vermin so hard to get rid of.
We have two fridges outside in a outdoor tool shed at the back of the house. The new one is about 5 years old and seems to work fine. The other fridge is about 18 years old...or more. Only the freezer part semi works, the lower fridge part stopped working long ago except for the light that turns on. I noticed chewed up insulation around the base of the old fridge. So i figure the mice have gotten to the underside or back of the old fridge and are chewing up fridge insulation.
One day the home will be put up for sale. A big big cleanup will be needed.
And i'm afraid a potential buyer will be scared off once they notice rat/mice droppings/damages.....or a home inspector report warns about rodent infestestion ! too bad burning down the home is illegal. ;)
sounds like you need a fumigator. Do it before someone gets ill from disease.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we did call a pest control company about 5 years ago. Did not do much except give us advice. We did follow thru with some advice, such as putting any food items in tupperware containers, more frequent sweeping and vacuuming , not leaving food out on counters.
I'd like to avoid something harsh such as fumigating ( Husky at home!) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts