Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can get some HKS springs for my '98 200sx B14?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does HKS even make springs for the B14? I know they make them for other Nissan applications, but not sure about the B14. Also, If not HKS than I was thinking maybe Apex or Greddy if they make them for my car. Im just wanting, if possible, something different than the typical eibach, tein, etc. Please help me out. sorry if this sounds n00bish.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nismo1997 said:
Whats wrong with the typical eibach tein?
nothing is wrong with them, i just want something different.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
im guessing he wants the name. if you want something differant get Hyper coil, very few "tuners" *cough* ricers *cough* use them. but they arnt junk! car and driver's "super street car challenge" winner (a dodge viper) was useing them

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.6pete said:
im guessing he wants the name. if you want something differant get Hyper coil, very few "tuners" *cough* ricers *cough* use them. but they arnt junk! car and driver's "super street car challenge" winner (a dodge viper) was useing them
No it isnt the name, it just seem like everyone in the nissan scene get the same parts for their cars. That is cool, but I do not want what everyone else has that drives a nissan. ya know? and yes i do like "rice." But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meangreen200sx said:
No it isnt the name, it just seem like everyone in the nissan scene get the same parts for their cars. That is cool, but I do not want what everyone else has that drives a nissan. ya know? and yes i do like "rice." But that is just my opinion.
NO ONE KNOWS?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
NO ONE KNOWS?
what more do you want!? they dont make them and it would be a waist for them to.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1.6pete said:
what more do you want!? they dont make them and it would be a waist for them to.
why would it be a waste for them to make springs for the 200sx?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
because you can call hyper coil and have them make anything you want.............any spring rate, any size drop, and it would be half the price of anything out of HKS' plant..............trust me and Apex'I are you kidding! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1.6pete said:
because you can call hyper coil and have them make anything you want.............any spring rate, any size drop, and it would be half the price of anything out of HKS' plant..............trust me and Apex'I are you kidding! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
like everyone on here says.....You get what you pay for.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
like everyone on here says.....You get what you pay for.
so your telling me that a set of HKS springs that could be no less than $50 more than a set of hyper coil springs (which everyone raves about i might add) would be better?

if the ebay springs had listed spring rates and you could tailor them to your car like hypercoil and they were still the same price everyone on this forum would buy them. quality is good..............insainly expencive parts are never good. again, would you rather buy a hotshot CAI or an Apex'i unit? im guessing you will say apex, how about exhaust? stromung for $500 or some uber name brand "im gona put a giant sticker of this on my car because people know who they are" brand? personly i like haveing small dedicated companys to our self, its unique.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
It's very simple, really. HKS is an aftermarket tuning company. For them, the cost of research, manufacture, and marketing is way too high compared to the number of potential customers. It's not even that they want to make a profit. With the number of Lucinos driving around in Japan and with the number of Sentra/200sx owners in the US who would be willing to pay such a premium for lowering springs, they wouldn't even come close to breaking even.

Hypercoil, on the other hand, is a spring manufacturer. They have the people and the facilities to custom build springs on a per application basis with minimal cost to themselves and thus, the customer.

It's not a matter of which is the smaller, better, or friendlier company. It's just a difference in what they do.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
Why don't you just go get a set of Truechoice stage 2+ coil-overs and paint them? I don't approve of your approach to this at all, but at least this way you know you'll end up with a setup that at least works decently well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, i do not understand what the big deal is.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
its not a big deal...................HKS/apex'i dont make any suspention parts for the b14. sorry..............they will never make them and if they do no one who is serious will buy them because most either use tein coil overs or hypercoil springs, or eibach with shortend struts

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
Before I start, let me just say there is nothing wrong with trying to be unique. Mike Young, owner of NPM's Project 200sx 1.6 Turbo and a huge contributor to the Nissan community, is all about standing out from the crowd. Nismo1997 (you can see his replies earlier in the thread), who is probably more style oriented than anyone I talk to, is constantly striving to infuse his vehicle with his radical personality. There are probably hundreds of members just on NF who are just like these two, all of whom are looking to make their car a little less like the others, and a lot more like themselves.

So why is everyone making a big deal about your thread? Throughout his project Mike has, and probably will continue to prioritize safety, reliability, and performance over uniqueness. Same with Nismo1997. You, on the other hand, have come here looking for springs from a brand name without knowing the spring rates, the free length, or even if the company produces an application for our cars. And not because you wanted HKS quality either. You just wanted to install something that other people didn't have.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if it were something like body parts or a paint job, or even a unique engine bolt-on piece (like a custom intake or a solid titanium valve cover). We're talking about springs. Springs are one of the most heavily stressed components in your car. Unlike when your engine stops or your transmission fails, a collapsed spring can easily cause you to lose control or in the worst case, cause your car to flip onto its roof. And unlike your engine, transmission, or even your brakes, there is no emergency backup for your suspension system. If it fails, you have nothing to fall back on.

The reason everyone on this thread has been pushing Eibach, HyperCo, and Tein isn't just because they're amongst the few manufacturers which makes springs to suit the B14 chassis' rather unaccomodating stock suspension system. They also know that those companies pride themselves in the quality of their products. They know that their products have been tried and tested over, and over, and over again, and that they won't fail when exposed to the stresses of daily driving/performance driving.

I understand that everyone wants to do something to make their car "theirs", but there is a point where you do have to draw the line or you'll run the risk of hurting someone (yourself included). It's just not worth it to have unique springs (it's not like anyone else is going to be able to tell that you have "custom springs").

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
^^^ OUT STANDING! nice edit reason too :thumbup:

thats what i love about nissan owners, for the most part, we dont care what the brand is (unless its a brand ripping off another brand *cough* WEAPON R *cough*) but the function. please consider this in the future,
1.6pete said:
function over form
once it functions the way you desire it to, THEN and only then should you consider form.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aight den, i guess ill prolly be going with a set of teins. Thanks reverm. peace.
BTW my rims should be arriving today.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts