Nissan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,780 Posts
"Haven't even changed plugs yet, I have them in the garage but I was told they go 117,000 miles."

Spark plugs are due at 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
"Haven't even changed plugs yet, I have them in the garage but I was told they go 117,000 miles."

Spark plugs are due at 105,000 miles.
SMJ,

Is it ok to wait until 105K mile's to take them out,, or should they be taken out Earlier @ something like 50K mile's to check & re-apply anti sieze thread grease, and if ok, put the old one's back in?

I've alway's removed my plug's when engine is overnight cold, is that still ok,, or do you advise different?

Thank's

·
9,780 Posts
There's no need to remove them any earlier than 105,000 miles as they are double-platinum spark plugs (some later models might have iridiums) and NGK doesn't recommend using anti-seize on their spark plug threads. It's still best to replace plugs on an aluminum head when the engine is cold. On the Nissan VQ40DE, the service manual instructs to remove the upper intake plenum (if you look at the front, two plugs on the right-side bank, you'll see why. They can be replaced, if you have a good assortment of tools and some patience, without removing the intake plenum. You'll need some 3/8" to 1/4" reducers and universals. For the #1 plug, I seperate the ignition coil from the coil boot to remove and install the coil between the opening in the plenum. There is a long resistor spring that goes between them, which makes it a little trickier to reassemble when installing, but it can be done. The #3, or second coil on that bank, can be removed without disassembling but you'll need the reducers and universals to remove/install the spark plug. To remove the plenum and replace the plugs, it takes me about 2-hours, maybe a little less. To replace plugs without removing the plenum, it takes me 40-minutes. Stick with the original type, NGK spark plugs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks SMJ,

Sounds good to me.

I sure do miss the KA24E Engine, for changeing out the Spark Plug's. After 20 year's with that Engine, I got spoiled with the Ease of Maintenance.

Being retired,, I'm only putting about 3K mile's a year on the '13,, so it'll be a while on the spark plug's,, and if I'm Lucky,, I may be gone by then,, or might not remember what a Spark Plug is.

Not waiting for the Engine to be cold,, may be one reason, some have trouble with the threads.

All those year's useing NGK Plug's in the KA24E , useing anti-seize on thread's and thinking that I was doing it the right way. I didn't have a problem with the thread's though,, and I'm sure thankful of that.

Seem's like they would have made it a little bit easier on the VQ40DE for doing routine maintenance. Somebody should tell them to make the Oil Filter Access opening a wee bit bigger. I don't know how the Guy's with Big hand's manage, cause I can just barely get my hand's through the Access Opening.

Thank's for helping us, and that's one less thing that I need to do before 105K mile's.

·
9,780 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about the oil filter access! It's really tight on my 06 Pathy. On my 08 Pathy, they made the access panel bigger and it's a little easier. On either one, however, oil still spills all over the skid plate and crossmember when removing the filter!

·
Registered
3 Posts
update and 1200 dollars later

It was a brutally cold winter in the northeast. Around mid February I had a rear brake pad go away at around 50,000 miles service at a time when the temp had not reached 20 degrees in about 30 days,,,,,not the time or temp for brake work in my driveway. 110,000 miles on the OD. Just made the final payment so I owned the vehicle now, and I needed to be inspected by the end of March. I'm already in for one rotor and a set of rear pads and decided to have my mechanic fix the brakes and see what might need attention soon. Also asked to have the plugs replaced. Turned out a full brake job was necessary as a front (inner) pad had also failed. I couldn;'t see it and never felt it.

His inspection turned up the other side rear axle seal had also failed, badly and a license plate light socket had corroded away.

I asked if I should take a 1500 mile trip after brakes but before seal and he said no! I'm thinking OH MY....I've been told by the dealer that the entire axle shaft has to be replaced at around 400 bucks for the part if not warrantied...add in labor (the first axle seal was three days at the dealer....but warrantied) and I was not a happy camper. He did the brakes and 3 plugs and ordered parts.

Rented a car for the trip and left truck for axle, light socket and 3 plugs to finish.

My guys says no we'll repair it with new parts. I've only got about 150 miles on the repair and so far its good. Axle fix was less in total than the part would have been at the dealer

1200 ish to do 4 wheels brakes, install plugs, repair rear axle, fix lights and LOF. New inspection sticker and I'm pretty pleased. About 700 for brakes was hard to take but hey I was not about to tackle that in those temps so I'm not complaining too loudly. Only really hard to swallow item in bill was labor to change plugs.....he did 3 easy one in first visit and when parts arrived to do rest they did the ones that require a lot of intake removal stuff for access.

To recap, now around 111,000, 2 sets of brakes, two axle seals, thermostat, battery, one replacement set of tires, that still have more than 1/2 tread left and normal oil changes.

soooo 4 car payments later (in repairs costs) I have a good to go truck for quite awhile.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know anything about high-mileage Frontiers because my '98 has only 199.6K on it. That's been pretty reliable as we've had it half that mileage/11 years.

My daughter's '98 Pathfinder with VG33 6-cylinder engine has had more issues, like ABS, check engine lights, distributor...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts