Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
no, but you won't notice any power gains either.

You know what we're going to tell you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i will just gut the cat..that will uncork my exhaust a lil and give me a lil bit of power, not noticeable, but good enough.

·
8,328 Posts
if it's not noticeable, it's not worth doing something dumb and illegal like that.

if anything, gutting the cat would lose power because it hinders flow, having a big open area for the exhaust to pile up in before going out to the muffler.

·
Registered
121 Posts
cold air intakes can give you a bit and I personally like the sound of them on top of that it shouldnt be too hard to put on yourself I did mine

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are u talkin about? im not talkin about intakes,but anyways mines comin in soon and i kno they are easy to install ive put one in a corolla and one in a eclipse.. i think my cold air intake doesnt have enough room and i might have to move the battery a lil bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2.5sentra03 said:
what do u think about nology hotwires and a groundin kit? maybe that would be an easy 5 hp.
my bad thought you were looking for ideas for stuff to do ^

·
Registered
62 Posts
2.5sentra03 said:
what do u think about nology hotwires and a groundin kit? maybe that would be an easy 5 hp.

I also was looking into a high flow cat. But after some research, decided that they are not worth the money, and they may not pass emissions, depending on where you live...

I posted a thread about nology hotwires. http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=75260&highlight=nology+hotwires
this should help you out.

I put on a grounding kit and it seems to work well. It definetly can't hurt anything and it does improve the life of your electrical system, if you install the wires in the right places...

·
8,328 Posts
nology hotwires are crap, they do nothing. Seriously. What the heck makes you think you need "better" ignition wires anyways? The coil on plug system we have is as efficient as you'll need up to 300whp or even more.

grounding kit is more worthwhile.

All these things you're listing are cheap and unnoticeable though. Seriously.

I've told you before, horsepower costs money. You can do all the $100-1hp mods you want, but in the end you'll pay $1000 for 10hp.

read the stickies and search.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will only run a carsound high flow cat/aka magnaflow.

http://www.car-sound.com/ If you acually half to get a carb compliant one, you probably won't get much gain. Other then that, they flow great and I passed Illinois test with one.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that gutting a cat or a high flow cat won't get any gain. I've done both, and I got a nice gain. I guess everything is backwards on a Nissan?!?!?!? I don't recomend gutting a cat cause it is not legal and your exhaust will stink really badly. You could and probably would get pulled over for just that. That and you can get cat guts stuck in the muffler and cause more problems. Just don't do it.

Carsound flows the best. I acually noticed VERY little change going from a 2.5" test pipe to a 2.5" high flow cat from car-sound on another car of mine. You can acually see light through a car sound high flow cat too. The honycombs in a stock cat are extreamy tight and restrictive and longer then the car sound. I think it is safe to say you could get 3HP from it. If anyone calls BS on that, then they have never installed a high flow carsound cat before. Not all high flow cats are equel and some don't do much better then stock and they are not worth the money. Also, don't buy a cheap ebay one. It is probably just a test pipe with heat shealds welded on. You won't pass any test with it.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
If you have aftermarket I/H/DP/E, a good high flow cat will only kill about 1-2WHP on our cars, if that. IIRC the stock cat on the downpipe is already considered relatively high flow, but an upgraded downpipe and high flow cat will still give you power gains. Since our cars essentially have 2 cats with the precat on the header being very restrictive, upgrading the other cat will probably not have any noticable affect. I have smelled a few Specs with no cats and while it is not nearly as bad as some other cars, it still isnt a petal of roses. The biggest problem of running catless is it sounds AWFUL and you (without a sim) will throw a SES light meaning you will most likely fail emissions!

As far as the Hot Wires, I have heard of multiple people having problems with them and have never heard of any gains. You would get a bigger difference in switching the platinum plugs to copper or irridium as they are more toward the performance side and platinum is more for long life.

I noticed in another post you said the ebay intake is ok...if this is the intake you are talking about installing, I would highly consider returning it and purchasing a name that is known and trusted on our cars. Quite a few people have blown their MAFs from this so buying a 50 dollar intake can in the long run cost you more money. With names I know of, the battery will not have any problems with contacting the CAI. Before doing the install, I highly reccomend putting weatherstripping on the metal part of the hole as this will prevent unwanted vibration in the long run.

Quite frankly, if you want more power, the biggest modification on our engine is a header. This can give in excess of 16 WHP (I am basing this number off of an AEBS 4-2-1 header w/ downpipe and high flow cat on a dynojet). If your car is an auto, beefing the auto will shave a second off your 1320 time. I hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i rather just put on a few cheap things on it to gain a lil bit of hp, but im sellin the car so it doesnt really matter.i woulda put a header on but they cost to much since im not goin to keep the car.thanks for the advice.
now im considerin the evo,sti, or if i dont have that much money for the payments ill get the srt-4.

·