Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 sentra 1.6 and on ebay i saw the OBX high flow cat converter. would like to know any info about getting one or another brand or if it is even worth getting one. I have hs headers and getting cold air intake and would like to know about this before i install my exhaust. not worried bout it being smog legal im in louisiana they dont care

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
curtisj85 said:
i have a 95 sentra 1.6 and on ebay i saw the OBX high flow cat converter. would like to know any info about getting one or another brand or if it is even worth getting one. I have hs headers and getting cold air intake and would like to know about this before i install my exhaust. not worried bout it being smog legal im in louisiana they dont care
Is your car a Cali. emissions car? If not do you have a stock cat under the car?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cat converter

not a cali and yes there is the stock one under the car and i wanna do 2.5" exhaust. im really trying to understand the exhaust what is good, needed, etc

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
curtisj85 said:
not a cali and yes there is the stock one under the car and i wanna do 2.5" exhaust. im really trying to understand the exhaust what is good, needed, etc
Your stock cat is fine, leave it there. The OEM cat is 2.5" in and out. My car was dynoed through the stock cat if it means anything.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
curtisj85 said:
I would advise you not to get a 2.5" exhaust. 2" has been proven to be the best size for an N/A GA16de 1.6l. Anything bigger with out forced induction will cause your car to loose power.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
3 things:

1. Don't get a 2.5" exhaust for your 1.6 unless you got a turbo, YOU WILL LOSE HORSEPOWER. The only gains will be around 5,500-7,900 rpm and what do you know, the 1.6 cuts out at 6900. 2.0", bro, everyone here will tell you that.

2. The cat on the 1.6L and 2.0L flows just fine, you will not benefit by spending money on a high-flow cat.

3. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you have a cat under your car. I think what you have is a resonator. With the exception of Cali models, the 1.6L sentra lacks an under car cat, instead, the cat is built into the stock header. Here's an easy way to tell if it's a cat or a resonator. Look under the car where the cat would be. If the O2 sensor is before the 'tank', its a resonator, if the O2 sensor is built into the tank or after the tank, it's a cat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cat converter

Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
3 things:

1. Don't get a 2.5" exhaust for your 1.6 unless you got a turbo, YOU WILL LOSE HORSEPOWER. The only gains will be around 5,500-7,900 rpm and what do you know, the 1.6 cuts out at 6900. 2.0", bro, everyone here will tell you that.

2. The cat on the 1.6L and 2.0L flows just fine, you will not benefit by spending money on a high-flow cat.

3. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you have a cat under your car. I think what you have is a resonator. With the exception of Cali models, the 1.6L sentra lacks an under car cat, instead, the cat is built into the stock header. Here's an easy way to tell if it's a cat or a resonator. Look under the car where the cat would be. If the O2 sensor is before the 'tank', its a resonator, if the O2 sensor is built into the tank or after the tank, it's a cat.
i didnt have a cat out of the headers like a lot that i saw mine is under the car but i need to check where the O2 sensor is.
Right now my headers are at 2 1/4" and they ae hooked to stock exhaust what size is stock

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rest of exhaust

if the exhaust pipe is 2" what kind of muffler or tip i like the apexi dual N1 but i think it is 2.5" inlet is 2 1/4" good or bad

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
curtisj85 said:
if the exhaust pipe is 2" what kind of muffler or tip i like the apexi dual N1 but i think it is 2.5" inlet is 2 1/4" good or bad
The muffler should be ok, your muffler shop should be able to make it work.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
3 things:

1 and 2 are good advice.

3 However is not entirely correct. The 95 and 96 federal emissions cars ONLY had a cat under the car, they did not have the close coupled cat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, I have a question. what if I got a newer stock cat for my fed emissions car. I heard that after so many miles, the cats tend to slow down the exhaust flow. By getting a newer stock cat, would that increase any performance. Or what about an SE-R cat on a 1.6L sentra, any performance increase there?

thanks, Aaron

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Mod_That_Sentra said:
OK, I have a question. what if I got a newer stock cat for my fed emissions car. I heard that after so many miles, the cats tend to slow down the exhaust flow. By getting a newer stock cat, would that increase any performance. Or what about an SE-R cat on a 1.6L sentra, any performance increase there?

thanks, Aaron
Their either good or they go bad they don't slow down. On the B14's the 1.6 and SR20 had the same cat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
what the crap is up with the OBX cats anyway? the flanges on them are not curved they are straight. and they are supposed to be a bolt on mod. it aint happenin, bro. The nissan dealership told me i needed a new cat and was gonna charge me like 800 bux. So i just went and bought an OBX one. took it to the exhaust shop to have it put on and they are like the people who made this are idiots, # 1 your cat is built in to your header, #2 the flanges on the stock cat curve and bolt on at the bottom of the car. Its basically more like a resonator instead of a cat, so that is what they did, they just cut the flanges off and cut the stock resonator off and swapped them.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
You have a federal model b14. Only one cat in the exhaust manifold, and resonator.
Unlike the cali model, witch has the exhaust manifold cat, and also an under car cat.
Looks like you got them mixed up. If your getting a error code because of the cat, you are going to have to replace the exhaust maifold cat. I have one to sell if you ned one. Since my car is now totaled.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
You have a federal model b14. Only one cat in the exhaust manifold, and resonator.
Unlike the cali model, witch has the exhaust manifold cat, and also an under car cat.
Looks like you got them mixed up. If your getting a error code because of the cat, you are going to have to replace the exhaust maifold cat. I have one to sell if you ned one. Since my car is now totaled.
Actually that is not entierly correct. The 95-96 federal cars ONLY had cats. under the car and no close coupled cat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a question concerning the CA model....I have a 97 cali 200sx....would that have both a cat at the header and an OBDII cat? If so....when I get a header and exhaust system, what do I need to do on the cat front to stay smog legal? Can I replace the whole system and just put in a smog legal cat and lose the header cat?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
kstrongsyj said:
I have a question concerning the CA model....I have a 97 cali 200sx....would that have both a cat at the header and an OBDII cat? If so....when I get a header and exhaust system, what do I need to do on the cat front to stay smog legal? Can I replace the whole system and just put in a smog legal cat and lose the header cat?
This is documented in NPM as they did this on project 1.6, they have pictures in everything.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
kstrongsyj said:
Since you are in Cali, if you install a header you will fail smog no matter where you put the o2. You will have to keep your stock exhaust manifold, ad put it on come smog time.
To make sure the o2 gets the right reading you will have to replace the o2 sensor behind your under car cat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts