Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i did some research and find out that the pathy does not come with a HID package. Has anyone put aftermart it in? What about the aftermarket headlights projectors they have?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
i could not find any, i think i will mold my own head lights using plexiglass... and install bixenon lenses.

·
3,553 Posts
Once again, what year vehicle are we supposed to be talking about?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had experience with HID kits on a lot of cars and trucks in my day, and you can put HID's in anything. The best set I ever had lasted 5 years through 3 different cars. Paid $175 for them. Stay away from Ebay unless it is NAME brand, trust me I have been down that road. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
oh koo, wat brand HID kit u have, because i wanted to install some in my 92 pathfinder but i wanted to have a second opinion on if its a gud idea or wat

·
Registered
25 Posts
The longest lasting HID's were McCulluch. The MTEC's didn't last long at all. I had a lot of trouble with the bulbs for the MTEC set. The replacement bulbs were $80 a pair. I had another set that I can't remember the name, but they sucked anyway and they were an ebay special. Just be prepared, if your Pathfinder is like mine it needs a hi/low bulb so make sure you buy the right kit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ya mine is a hi lo version too, but i dont know if i have to put a relay for the lights before or not cuz it does not come with any for the lights

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well plug-n-play kits come with everything you need. Just hide the ballast and plug them up and go. Now beware, some kits envolve wiring. I have managed to stay away from them and had great luck with strict plug-n-play kits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't think I can help you with finding projectors. However, I put projectors in an Acura I used to have, with HID's and it sucked. Aftermarket projectors cut off the light beam for some reason at the top. So if you parked at a wall or garage door at night and shined your lights on it, the beam would be cut off about half way up the door. So it was hurting the light output more than helping. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bongo, idk what other cars/trucks you have had, but you need to be aware what you are talking about. It is likely that most of the installs you have done were in lenses not designed for HIDs, and you were blinding other drivers. That is irresponsible, especially if you knew this. Please don't encourage other drivers to do this, especially since it is against the law in some places.

Also, projectors are the ONLY way to go if you want to get the best performance out of HIDs, just you have to be wary of what projector you buy. I am sure there are a lot of aftermarket garbage ones, but if you use one from a FX35, RX330, or BMW,etc. you will get excellent results, as many have.

I am just imploring you to not encourage irresponsible behavior, especially when some people just don't know the facts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jus puttin in my two cents in, i dont really think that it is irresponsible behavior for a person's personal choice to put in HID in their vehicles. As HID was introduced in 1995 in Europe and in Japan where i can safely say most of the Nissan Pathfinder's were manufactured.

·
Registered
422 Posts
jus puttin in my two cents in, i dont really think that it is irresponsible behavior for a person's personal choice to put in HID in their vehicles. As HID was introduced in 1995 in Europe and in Japan where i can safely say most of the Nissan Pathfinder's were manufactured.
And in Japan they had special headlights with projectors in them for the HID equipped Pathfinders...the WD21 was long gone before they introduced HIDs. It is most definitely irresponsible when you know exactly what you are doing, blinding other drivers.

Here is an example of one of those headlights designed for a late model R50

Here is a early model R50 with the projector headlights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, if I hear you right, it is a problem for those who feel the need to install HID lights due to them not being able to see well at night. For that comment saying HID's are irresponsible, I say you are wrong to say what one person should and shouldn't do to there own car. I have had MANY sets of HID lights in MANY sets of different cars. I sir, do know what I'm talking about. Just because someone is new to this forum doesn't mean they are new to lighting and many other car and truck upgrades. Don't ever assume some one doesn't know what they are talking about just because they want to be able to see better at night. I am simply saying that the projectors I have had cut the beam. Who knows, maybe they were designed to do that for the sure fact helping not to blind people.

·
Registered
112 Posts
that is tru, and then u can remember at the same time that even persons tat have HID in vehicles that have projectors can also affect persons even then. So having HID with projectors doesnt even matter. So if u want to eliminate this glare problem you should complain to the makers of HID and not the persons that want to put them into their vehicles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
and i go a step further to say that HID is more of a asset more than a problem to cars and trucks today. It doesnt matter tat is was introduced after that yr pathfinder the question tat most ppl have is tat if HID can work in the 1990 up pathfinders and the answer is tat it can. There is a concern of glare, the glare affects a person if the person with HID is at a distance not right infront of them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
so i understand where bongo is coming from, u cant assume one's knowledge on HID like that. If he has had experience with them in serveral vehicles we should be more asking him questions more than dictating to him about what HID is from what it isnt. this topic about HID is going to be touchy .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts