Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, need help in installing HID conversion kit on a 92 nissan pathfinder se. Been tryin to find if a headlamp relay also exists on the pathy, LINK me bak

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those will blind people just as much. Your reflector in the headlight was not designed with the HID beam pattern in mind, so it will throw the light all over the place no matter what you use. The only safe and legal way to get HIDs in your headlights would be to do a custom projector setup if the lens itself is clear...if it is textured like my 97's were you would need clear lenses as well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sadly, I see more folks with trucks running HID's and blinding everyone.:mad: Worse even than passenger cars because trucks are elevated.
Don't these folks give a s**t that they're blinding everyone around them???

·
3,553 Posts
In answer to the other question, no there are no relays for the headlights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot, i have this pathfinder for little ova a year here in Jamaica, i wanted to get the lights brighter, there are a couple 92 pathys with HID kits but like to single and not the bi xenon kits.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did my research on them, and what really happen is tat glare is based on how the headlamp is aimed, in jamaica they arent really illegal down here as most of the newer cars down here have them installed, but what is the difference with the stock HID in newer cars and the aftermarket HID kits

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did my research on them, and what really happen is tat glare is based on how the headlamp is aimed, in jamaica they arent really illegal down here as most of the newer cars down here have them installed, but what is the difference with the stock HID in newer cars and the aftermarket HID kits
Sorry, you're wrong.
Older headlight lenses are made specifically for the bulbs they were designed for. If you throw an HID bulb in there you'll get light diffracted all over. Why? Because the HID bulb is not designed for that lens. Look at the HID's that fit in there. They're rebased or modified to fit.
Nearly every current HID application will use projector or ellipsoid lens technology. Why? because these lenses keep light scatter to a minimum. I'm sure someone else can jump in an explain the technical aspects of all this.
Regardless, older lenses, no matter how well they are aimed will still blind on coming traffic. Unless you've got your headlights aimed straight down. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is quite tru, and then at the same time most of the HID applications that are out here have the bulbs in a H4 type bulb in which the lens was designed for in the first place. As not every since vehicle carrys projector style lights.

·
3,553 Posts
Most of the problem with putting HID bulbs in a housing designed for halogens is the focal point of the light compared to the location of the filament or arc MAKING the light. If the HID bulb places the arc at a point further out or further in than the halogen filament is supposed to be, you get increased light scattering and diminished focus. Vehicles that come with HID's have light housings designed for it. Halogen housings are not, unless the HID transplant is exactly the same as a halogen bulb. In most cases the HID conversion bulbs aren't the same. That's what you have to look out for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am using the plunger type HID bulbs which have a metal shielding on half the bulb. The cut off point on my lights are very defined and only reach to the top of the average sedan trunk and not into the rear window and mirrors. However when the high beam is switched on, LOOK OUT! You better be wearing welding glasses! LOL

02' pathy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so wat did u do to reduce like the glare amount,or how u got it to aim low because really i would like to put them on my 92 but if u noticed on the forum there is some stiff competition

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW! It took the industry long enough to come out with bulbs that work like regular halogen bulbs. I wonder why?
Same here, going to check them out. Don't like blinding folks and if these bulbs are designed to have the xenon arc in the "sweet spot" of where the halogen filament is then all the better!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah first generation hid bulbs are completely exposed leaving it up to the headlight assembly to direct the light alone. Like others have said these headlight assemblies were never intended for hid use. Even the built in shielding isn't enough to control the disperesment of light. The solution was definitely left up to the hid manufacturers to come up with the right shielding. I just got in from work and its starting to rain, i will try to get a pic of my lights as soon as i can.

Blinding others was also a worry of mine, i did not want to have A-hole lights. Even following my other half at night says she doesn't need to flip up her rear view mirror. A friend of ours driving an H3 with the first generation bulb is definitely blinding and the difference is immense!

mitsu, i didn't even have to re-aim my lights they were perfect! :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts