Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting in some HID head lights from McCulloch. I found an article on them on nissanperformancemagazine.com It says on there that it will not work with the OE bulbs and I need to do an H4 conversion before I can put these in. What kits would you guys recommend for this. On PDM racing i found a Bosch conv. kit and i know of the hella h4 kit as well. I'm looking at getting the 5000k bulb because i don't want any blue at all and plus i've heard that higher temp doesn't mean more light

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry forgot to add that I would like the same type of lighting as the new/newer infinit's, Lexus' and stuff. With more highway driving at night coming ahead, these OEM's just arn't cutting it compared to whats available. Any advice would the great and yes i'm doing the H4 conversion(No sylvania stuff although i've heard they work pretty good for city), what brand i don't know and what type of bulb i think mcchulch but who knows, i've heard stuff about PIAA too. any input towards this could be muchly appreciated. With the H4 conversion done, does that mean i could put either a 10000k bulb in or a 5000k bulb in, it'll take either? And also if someone has any comparison pictures that'd be awesome!

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
and you would want a 4300K to have the least amount of blue

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
what you are doing is very very VERY bad! just installing the ballest and bulbs into a halogen tuned reflector will make the HID scatter so much it will COMPLETLY blind other drivers!
what you need to do is buy projectors, ballest bulbs, and retro fit unless you are 100% sure you can perfectly aim them. unlike halogen where aiming them to shoot forward is ok, HID is MUCH more precise! think of it as the lazer pointer of lighting, the aiming has to be neer dead on. and if you mount the projector into your light houseing off centre then aiming will be next to impossible. i have learned most of what i just said by asking stupid questions in our numerous lighting threads in cosmetic, and the ones who know the most are "liuspeed" and "sethwas" PM either of them and they will fill you in on anything you need to know, both currently have HID in their cars

to get the lighting of a newer lexus.............just put lexus projectors and ballests in! :thumbup: it will be the EXACT same thing. because you will have the same beam pattern, ballest <light output), and projector color. oh and all HID is pure white the blue or red or what ever other colors they have that you see is the scatterd light off to the side, if you can handle it look directly head on at a HID light and you will see its only white there is no blue at all.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
Personnally i just put in a set of Sylvania Silverstar Halogens in my car, they ran me about $35 Canadian a piece for the H6054 Bulb but they are an awesome improvement from the stock bulbs.
I think swapping to HID's would be a painful process and just as painful for other on comming drivers. Also unless you enjoy being flashed by Deer Jacking lights on 18 Wheelers, be careful! :cheers:

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
^^^ thats true i too have SS, but they SUCK in foog and rain. i am going to buy a set or "xtra vision" instead, same as SS minus the blue coating.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i'm kinda confused as i got mixed responses but it sounds like if i want lexus lighting i should buy lexus projectors. I'm not sure what retro fitting is either. So how would that work with the lexus projectors? Like make mounting brackets for in the housing or what? Something similar to the clearcorners projectors? Basically i need better lighting and i'm really confused on the best way to go, and i'll pay for quality but haha on clearcorners 1800 for lights is retarded

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curious, what model car is this going in? I'm assuming 240. I had HIDs 6K in my S14 with the OEM lighting i was told that by only lowering the focus of the headlamp 8mm, corrected the "blinding" light.
I was NEVER flashed by anyone. However the OEM HIDs that I have in our 530i BMW I have had people flash at me. So I flash them back like "what do you want me to do about it?"

Personally I don't really care for others,lol, just me...jk jk

·
Banned
4,308 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should do a retrofit as it will shoot everywhere as well as possible overheating issues of the housing melting. I have HID's on my s14 that went out and going to replace with 6000K Mcullough kit that I had on previously. The 5000K, 53000K, 6000K, blahblahblahK will determine how much luminosity output there is which will directly correlate with the color scheme of the light. Has nothing to do with fitment issues but rather the color light. Generally i think 4500K~6000K (WHITE LIGHT) has the best lumins while anything higher there is smaller effect with bluish to purplish color.

Luckily my headlights has projectors in them already so I dont have to worry about that. Gonna replace my bad ones this weekend:)

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
HID will NOT be any hotter than halogen...........many times it is colder (like LED's) also i have heard that anything above 6000? is useless.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1.6 pete, thanks for the pictures, that is what i need, especially in the rural areas i'll be driving in. What type of conversion kits are better and are the Mcullough bulbs one of the better kinds? say around 5000k? i'm lookin for lighting quality, i don't need colors at all. Pete, where did you get those pictures and also is there a write up anyone has seen for installing HID's into the S13? Sounds like the H4 conversion plus these bulbs is what i'm going to go with. However, are there tests i can perform to correct the blinding effect (if i try to correct this too much, will I lose more lighted area? if that makes sense) or should i have it taken to someone to adjust the sight? I'm sure i can install it, it really sounds like a no brainer. But aiming this could be an issue from what people are saying on here. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hate to nag but i'm very very serious about thes HID healights. Could someone just answer my couple questions on my last post. I've decided on getting these, actually on the way but I need help installing/aiming when they get here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts