Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Adam and I am looking into buying a 300zx that my dad's friend is selling near the beginning of the summer. I had a few questions though. First of all, it is a 1991 turbo model...is there anything like problems that I should know about this year, becuase I am sure it has not been modified. Also, how many miles can this thing go before bumping into problems and what kind of problems will they be? The car has almost 90,000 miles and it might not be worth my time. This is my dad's friend from the temple choir. He has a wife and he is settled in and they have 3 cars so they do not need this one anymore. So, I don't think price will be an issue. How much do you guys think it should go for with these things? It also has a few problems that I either don't care about or that I can fix myself. The front bumper has some spots with paint missing, the driver seat has a small hole in it (leather), the sound system no longer works (rear speakers got water in them and there is a casette stuck in the player). As far as I know there is no rust and only a few small dents and scratches. And finally, being 17 I am sure my insurance will be high as well. I will be on my parents plan, but it will be my car (no tickets or accidents yet). And would i need collision coverage? I go to a technical school for auto body, so I can fix a lot of stuff up there if needed. I have been working for about a year at the local food lion and have saved up about 3000 dollars. Plus I am going to sell my parents civic when i get it. I can probably get at least 7000 for it (year 2000 with 36,000 miles). So, what do you guys think about my situation. My main concern is the insurance, and the amount of miles on it. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
damn 17 and about to get a Z I only got a 86 Nissan Pick up when I was 17 well anyway check the blue book for the price I have a 91 and I getting my water pump done as I type, check the timing belt and make sure he kept up with the maintance on the car you can take it to a race shop and they'll check it out for you, also it might have a water leak from the T-Tops most of them do but some sealant from Pepoys did the job for me as far as miles go my 86 nissan pick made it to 191,000 miles before it died but cars now can run forever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
KBB will give you a shit figure, no one will sell you there car for KBB unless its in shitty condition.

You will probably spend more than 9-10k if its in good condition. 90,000 is not alot of miles, you will probably experience turbo problems around 130 or higher.

Your insurance will be really high compared to your civic
Civic=honda, economy, readily available cheap parts, 5 seats and 2/4 doors.
Z= poor economy, 2 seats, 2 doors, targa top and expensive 'shelved' parts. ohh yeah, and TT, that will really kill your rates. most likely they will more than double.

and your 17, i suggest an NA. your probably gonna give me the 'im a good driver, probably better than everyone else on the road' speach, but truth is only experience will allow you to drive a RWD TTZ. your going from 135hp FWD to a 300hp RWD car. your gonna wrap it around a tree when you get boost happy.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Shadow Z said:
Your insurance will be really high compared to your civic.
You would be surprised. I almost got a civic for a DD but the cost for insurance was ridiculous. And we have F&F and ricers to thank for that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shadow Z said:
KBB will give you a shit figure, no one will sell you there car for KBB unless its in shitty condition.

You will probably spend more than 9-10k if its in good condition. 90,000 is not alot of miles, you will probably experience turbo problems around 130 or higher.

Your insurance will be really high compared to your civic
Civic=honda, economy, readily available cheap parts, 5 seats and 2/4 doors.
Z= poor economy, 2 seats, 2 doors, targa top and expensive 'shelved' parts. ohh yeah, and TT, that will really kill your rates. most likely they will more than double.

and your 17, i suggest an NA. your probably gonna give me the 'im a good driver, probably better than everyone else on the road' speach, but truth is only experience will allow you to drive a RWD TTZ. your going from 135hp FWD to a 300hp RWD car. your gonna wrap it around a tree when you get boost happy.
Uh... at 16 I had a 450 whp camaro... at 17 I got the N20 for the car... and now at 20 I have a 400+ hp Z31. Oh, let's not forget the GSX750R I had as well... ummm.... If you are a dumbass, don't get a fast car. If you have respect for the machine that can kill you, you will be OK. A TTZ is really not all that fast out of the box... we're talking 265 at thge wheels if it's lucky. don't get a Z06, or mod the hell out of the car until you can drive though. Don't bother with an NA, you will only wish you would have gotten the turbo. NA Z32=not fast at all. TTZ32=teh hotness Only bad thing about the car is that it weighs more than an F-body (camaro/firebird)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually that is exactly what I have really been looking for. I have been looking at the 86-91 camaros (irocs) and trans ams. And if insurance is a problem I have also been looking at old chevy trucks (anywhere from 67 till the end of the 80's style). But, my dad mentioned this car that this guy had, so i kinda wanted to know about it. i used to be looking for one, but kind of got over it becuase of the price...but now its a family friend, so i dont know. anyhow, anymore replies or information would be great. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1991 turbo model Z was the second year making the Z32. they corrected the mistakes of the 1990 model Z's, and the 1991-96 models were great. 1991 is a good year for the car, and mileage is more than fair too. as for the speakers and upholstery go, that isnt a big deal(maybe the seats) but not the stereo. 1991 turbo.............90,000 miles.........between $9,000, and $11,000 im guessing. with a 300zx, everyone wants the turbo, and sellers can get top dollar for it. those cars dont depriciate as much as lets say.............a ford taurus does. 1991 nissan 300zx twin turbo brand new is about 30,000 dollars!! crazy, but i love'm......lol. hope everything goes ok with that car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts