Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I'm new to the board, but i got a quick Q. i have a 93 GA16DE B-13 that i somehow, leaving a stop light, snapped my exhaust cam in half. i know, dont know why or how. when i tore it down, i have yet to find ANY damage to anything (other than my purty half-n-half cam). theres the good thing. the bad thing is i cant figure out how such a terrible failure occured. the car hasnt ever to my knowlege been beaten on, and has arround 110k miles on it. the motor spuns freely and even started for a few secs on the side of the road! haha. in all my years building motors and racing, i have yet to break a cam in half. leave it to my little nissan! :cool: anyways, i will be fixing the car asap and would like to know if this is a common thing or a fluke... the car is box stock.
thanks guys-
Brett

PS- anyone have a cam that they would be willing to part with??? my local junk yards have proven to be quite dissapointing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take pics! Oh I wanna see this!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
it was most likley just a fluke maybe a defective cam or metal fatigue never heard of this happening on any nissans before and I have had 3 nissans myself good luck though nick~

·
Registered
12 Posts
check to see that the oil galleries are clear.. the ports through the block/head where oil runs and lubricates.. if these are blocked even partially, the cam may have spun dry and snapped! seen it on older cars, with poor/average service histories! like metioned previously, check the cam caps... the half moon shaped caps that hold the cam in, and check for scoring on the inner surface!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys-
yea i know its crazy. i have checked all the hold downs and seats for the cam... nothing is wrong with them. i also checked the valves for proper movement/seating... no problems there either. for some reason i think it must be a bad cam core or something. like i said- never seen that happen before on ANY of my cars, including dragsters LOL. well thanks for the replies guys, thought maybe it was a common thing. glad it aint though! as far as classifieds, ive tried with no luck :( ill try to take some pics in the next few days. and still, if anyone sees a exhaust cam in the junk yard, or know of one that is for sale, please- PLEASE- let me know :thumbup:

thanks again
brett

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Funny...
One of our dual carb ga16, the one with the stock cams, broke a cam too about a month ago...
Oil passages were clear, no worn cam bearing caps, no history of previous failure or cam damage...
We installed a used cam and it runs as nothing happened
Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
tex69camaro said:
Hello-
I'm new to the board, but i got a quick Q. i have a 93 GA16DE B-13 that i somehow, leaving a stop light, snapped my exhaust cam in half. i know, dont know why or how. when i tore it down, i have yet to find ANY damage to anything (other than my purty half-n-half cam). theres the good thing. the bad thing is i cant figure out how such a terrible failure occured. the car hasnt ever to my knowlege been beaten on, and has arround 110k miles on it. the motor spuns freely and even started for a few secs on the side of the road! haha. in all my years building motors and racing, i have yet to break a cam in half. leave it to my little nissan! :cool: anyways, i will be fixing the car asap and would like to know if this is a common thing or a fluke... the car is box stock.
thanks guys-
Brett

PS- anyone have a cam that they would be willing to part with??? my local junk yards have proven to be quite dissapointing. :rolleyes:
I'm able to find a pair... but got to ask how much they wanna let out... will come back to u.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for the replies!

hey-
thanks for the responces guys. glad to hear that mine isnt the only one to snap a cam. also glad to hear its running good again velarde. Thanks a ton Nisyoko- and keep me updated. I've gotten a PM from a guy who has a newer b14 cam out of a 1.6. would that exhaust cam swap in w/o any probs??? like i said, this is my little arround town runner, so making max hp isnt at the top of the list for the car. basically, should i got with a stock b13 exhasut cam, or would a b14 cam be just fine? thanks for letting me pick yalls brain some more... :)
brett

1 - 11 of 11 Posts