Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember me, but most of you will have no clue who the hell I am:)

Figured I would drop a line to see if B12 enthusiasts are still alive and well..

Also, i am on the search for a good B12. I havent had much luck. I live near Cleveland, Ohio, more specifically, Brunswick

Figured I would say hi yo y'all and prolly hang out a bit and lend some knowledge I have gained over the years..

:cheers:

-Bob

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet little project, I always wanted one of the sport coupe but could never find one that wasnt unsafely rotted out.

Turbo is definately the way to go. This fall my CS's 3100 V6 is actually getting pulled and built for turbo..

Engine management is the biggest concern for most though. Others like me have it easy though:D

SDS/Megasquirt might be the way to go for ya

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Sweet little project, I always wanted one of the sport coupe but could never find one that wasnt unsafely rotted out.

Turbo is definately the way to go. This fall my CS's 3100 V6 is actually getting pulled and built for turbo..

Engine management is the biggest concern for most though. Others like me have it easy though:D

SDS/Megasquirt might be the way to go for ya
nice! yeah, i'll be going with megasquirt. i've seen what people have done with it, as i am also very much into mx-6's, both first and 2nd gens, and megasquirt is the most popular stand alone for 6's and probes.

i got lucky with my b12. 148000km, or just over 90000 miles.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know of a few people who have used Megasquirt with awsome results and its a damn nice price too.. That was the route I was gonna go with my Cutlass until I found out I could swap in a 97 Lumina PCM and be supported under HP Tuners... Basically I have full control over my stock PCM. Ive had excellent results so far..

You dont really need to have dyno tuning done, but obviously watch for knock issues and take baby steps with the tuning. You will eventually get a tune that isnt the best for top end power, but has better driveability to it and that is really what you would want with a street car..

Well, I found a decent B13 SER locally, but its outta the price range for something that the rockers are starting to rot away. Still no B12's except the ones I see in a pull a part in Cleveland.. Too bad they wont sell the cars from there cause I would have a perfect rust free project

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
yeah, i'd have to say from what i've heard. Megasquirt is the best performing, easiest to tune stand-alone out there. like, if you look at what some guys have done with their probe GT's using megasquirt on the probetalk forums, and the MX6.com forums, the system speaks for itself. not to mention the absolute SHITLOAD of DIY's that both the megasquirt employees AND other tuners have put out there. if you wanna mess around with megasquirt, someone's done it before.

why won't your pull apart let you buy the cars off the lot? they're supposed to do that. for pick 'n pull, it's one of their motto's, "great place to find your next project car."

·
Registered
34 Posts
All kinds of B12's out here, but then I am on the other side of the country from you. I picked up a nice clean one, with just the tinest bend in the fender, and a broken corner light, with a brand new clutch, for 700 bucks. 218K on the odometer, but inside the user manual was the paperwork matching the vin from a shop that had replaced the engine at 126K. Also the original paperwork from when the car was delivered with something like 22 miles on it, back in 88. Manufacture date of September 87 but it's an 88 model. Also came with a nice set of ultra light wheels by modern that have been discontinued but look really good on the car. Only mods aside from the stereo is an aesthetic thing for my gauges. Will have to snap a pic of that soon actually. Waiting to do engine mods until I figure out what that noise is. When starting the car it almost sounds like a severe rod knock for like 1-2 seconds but it's not a rod. Then it almost sounds like a pinging or a broken ring on accelleration, but only when actually moving. You can hear a slight knock type of sound on it when free revving it. It's from the top end somewhere. Friend says it's a piston pin. Sisters husband pro mechanic says it doesn't sound like that. So I don't know. I need ot get an engine stethascope or make on and check it out.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could find a cleann one for $700

If I can remember right, the e16i needs valvetrain adjustments every now and then, so you might be hearing a rocker going nuts and needs adjusted or is just loose from the mileage... Or the cam bearings are just shot.. Either way, $700 for a clean runner seems like a steal

I have been hitting up the ohionissans forums, been a member for a while so I logged in for the first time in like 2 years.. Not seeing any B12s for sale but a lot of 240s... If I want RWD, I will buy another Trans Am, because if I get a 240, its gonna get a Buick 3.8L Turbo or a smallblock..

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn, superstock, your still here?? Good to 'see' ya again...

And yeah, a 3.8 turbo sounds fun in a 240... but I still wanna do my longtime dream of a rwd B12.. And now I finally have a garage and the access to cheap junkyard parts... but I still cant find a damn B12:mad:

Either way, the B12 project or 240 would be a daily until my CS is done.. 600whp here we come!!!!!!! Should be hitting 11's by next summer. Shes going under this fall. I intend to be the first to have a 3100 at 600whp.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I checked out your SC.. It looks sweet as hell and clean!!! I wish I could find one like that..

Actually, a S12 would be kinda ideal, but finding a 240 to use would be easier and prolly cheaper. I have seen some cheap 240s out there.

Of course, not much would be used from either vehicle. Mainly the front steering system, trans, engine, rear diff.

Custom halfshafts would be needed, the knuckles would have be modified to accept a hub assy that would accept the halfshaft. The 240s should work, allowing to use of the stock B12 struts/towers. Lateral links and trailing arms wouldnt be to hard to fab, just the biggest issue, mounting the 240s rear diff.

Any driveshaft shop can mod the 240s halfshafts and driveshaft. They supply charts that you need to give measurments so they know what to change.

Or, in the end, its prolly just best to payt a fabricator about the $3K to backhalf the car, but thats no fun!!!

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
i know theres someone in texas running a turbo 3100 corsica. its doing 13s right now w/a mild top end build, original trans.

a cs w/a good turbo setup would really be badass.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The turbo GA will definately scoot!!! I always wanted to do that when I had my B12s, but life got it the way of it..

On a side note, within 2 weeks I should be the proud owner of a 89 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix that has a 5-speed swapped in it. I have personally been in the car on a joyride and it is fast... Has huge traction issues until 3rd. A rod started to knock a bit and the guy had his fun with it so he is letting it go cheap..

Last night, I searched for about 4 hours, and yup. Nobody has any B12s around here in Ohio much anymore. I saw 2, but it looked like the rockers had disappeared..

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would buy one of the rotted ones, but they look pretty unsafe.. My last B12 has a front control arm mount fail due to rust... That was a scary thing!!! Everytime i shifted driving it back home, it would abruptly change lanes:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts