Nissan Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Raced a cop in my town 3 days after I got my RSX S. It was about 2:30 am I was w/ my boy we just got out of a bar....I was a little buzzed nothin major fully fine ot drive. He pulls up next to me and starts revving his Engine..( i know the cop) he goes wanna run....im a little unsure cause my car has 60 miles on it. I figure [email protected] it lets go. took him off the line and pulled from there. Those Impalas have a strong first gear but after that kinda slow. Its a long straight street but its 25MPh cause its a residental zone. I got up to about 95 before I started to slow up. Funny part is we flew past another cop goin the other way and he busted a U turn. He thought THe other cop was chasing me. I knew the other cop as well. We all pulled over and BS for a minute.

S

·
0 Posts
I thought the cop cars were Crown Victorias. The new ones look like the Mercury Grand Marquis. But, damn thats pretty crazy you raced a cop, I never heard of anything like that before. Arent those cop cars supposed to be fast, they sure catch up to ya pretty quick on the highway. Unless the CHP cars are faster. I always wondered what they actually had under the hood of those cop cars, some say its just a stock engine then some say its 'hopped up' . Somebody that knows fill me in please.

·
Registered
152 Posts
there have been a few retired cop car for sale around my area and all of them had old corvette engines(beat to sh*t but never still a vette engine).
and you might also want to check your local laws before you race to the speed limit in front of a cop. different places have different defintions of racing. here in cali if you are trying to out accelerate another car at any speed or against a timing device you can get a drag racing ticket even if you never even go past the speed limit.

S

·
0 Posts
They also have a thing called "exhibition of speed". Like peeling out or accelarating too fast can get you a ticket. If a cop really wants to be anal.

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
Crown Vic cop cars, at least the newer (2000+) "Police INterceptors" have a 4.6 liter 235 HP V8 engine, which is, I believe 15 more horses than a standard Crown Vic. They are, in just 2 words, "hella fast." Comparing it to my wife's 4.6 liter Mustang GT, I can say that, in daily driving, the Crown Vic is slower feeling, but when you hit the hammer, whether "racing" an SE-R or catching someone on the highway who was going in the opposite direction, this car will just plain smoke the Mustang. This is just seat of the pants feeling, here, might have something to do with cars slowing down and stopping when they see me, but it's definitely faster than a regular Crown Vic, to answer your question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Believe it or not its true...Like I said in my post I knew the cop. It was not just some random cop. In NJ Cop cars are either Impalas or Crown Vics...They are by no means fast. Like I said a strong off the line cause of rear wheel drive and a lot of torque but thats it. They are not suppose ot be fast around me anyway casue its way to crowded and they are not really allowed to chase anymore. The older Caprices had the vette engines in them...those things moved. But still thy really wont go mutch faster than 120. You have to remember how heavy police cars are. My dad is a cop and a few of my uncles are so I know this stuff Im not just talkin trash.

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks man I wanted to hear it from someone who really knows i.e a cop. The crown vic looks like a tank though, I mean they must be pretty heavy especially with all that gear the cops have. 235hp is not bad but for a v-8 I thought they would have more. A new Maxima should be able to out run it, not that I'm thinking of putting that theory to the test or anything.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts