Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, the truck is a '92 HB Ext. cab 4X4, 4 cyl., 5 spd... I'm gonna ask the ? by lettin' you know what happened.. Comin' back from my mom's this past Sunday, I had come to a stop light at a 4 lane highway.. When the go was good, I proceeded to take off in first, then 2nd when all of a sudden it felt like I missed 2nd gear.. So I pressed clutch in, grabbed the stick and pushed it forward, then back into 2nd gear.. Let out on the clutch.. Nothin'.. So I coasted over to the side and stopped.. Played around with each gear, shifted transfer into 4 high, then back to 2 Hi and tried it again starting with 1st. gear.. Nothing.. I was sittin' and debatin' on callin' my wife to come fetch me when all of a sudden I felt the truck start to move.. I had put it in 4th and started lettin' out on the clutch and WALLAH. But that was the only gear.. So, instead of callin' my wife who was still about 35 min. from where I was at, I decided to take off in 4th.. I'm pretty sure the clutch didn't like that but... After about 150 ft of burnin' the clutch to get goin', I was on my way home.. A little bit down the road, I came to a small town and had to slow down and as my luck, some slow poke had to pull out in front of me.. I started to sweat a little but shifted to 3rd just to see what would happen, and the truck geared down.. Wow.. I've got 3rd back.. A little further down the road at a stop sign, I tried 2nd and had it too.. Now the ?.. What could this be ??? The tranny or the transfer case?? Any idea or similar experience's that anybody has would sure ease this headache I've got.. Thanks for your time and sorry this was a bit long...

·
Registered
207 Posts
...sounds to me like the area where the shift forks contact the shifter got out of whack. I've had that happen before with mine. It usually happens with me when I jump in the truck and (in a rush) throw it in reverse...and nothing. Basically the end of the shifter that you can't see down in the transmission has a little nub on it. This nub is what moves the shit forks back and forth, and allows you to change gears. If the "nub" gets on the wrong side of the shift forks, then you can move it around, but it ain't moving any gears into place. If all is well now, I wouldn't sweat it...just be a little more deliberate when changing gears. Make sure when u'r changing gears u'r keeping it north/south/east/west...make sure u'r not getting any diagonals in there if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.. Any idea why 4th is the only gear that works?? I do have to mention that the first time I drove this truck, 4th has always been a little out of synch.. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.?..

·
Registered
207 Posts
...my bad...in u'r 1st post you said you were able to gear down into the other gears...so I assumed they were working again. So 4th is the only gear you can shift into? If so, it still sounds like the shift forks and the shifter have slipped out of place. I'd play with the gear shift...keep trying to find 1st. If you can find 1st again it should straighten things back out. If not, then the trans will need to come out, and pulled apart to see whats going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You understood right.. I could shift to other gears once I got goin' down the road but when the whole "losing the gears" thing happens, 4th is the only one that works.. It happens when tryin' to take off in 1st or when shifting to 2nd.. It's like it pops out of gear.. Now when this happens, I can put it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and reverse and it doesn't do anything, but I can put it in 4th and it'll go.. Then after I get the rpm's and speed up a little, then I can put it in any gear and they're there...

·
Registered
207 Posts
...hmm...well, I'll retract my shift forks theory then. When the truck is off, can you shift through all the gears, and can you hear metallic noises like you can hear the gears shifting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey... Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you in a while... Started on some remodeling and had the computer disconnected.. Anyway, to answer your ?, no, there's no noise that sounds metallic when truck is off... Shifts in & out like it should.. This past Sun. I had alot of trouble with gettin' home from the other side of town due to no gears except for 4th.. What I do hear is, when I'm driving, & I'm in 4th due to no other gears, if possible, I'll take out of 4th and shift to 3rd or 5th,(depending on speed) and as I let out on clutch and give it gas, I don't hear nothing UNTIL the rpm's drop back down, then it sounds like somebody's in the tranny beating the side with a hammer and I can feel it tryin' to go in gear, but no luck.. I have since parked it because I'm afraid something's goin' to come apart or I'll be humpin' it home... So.. any other thoughts or suggestions.??? Let me know and I want to thank you for your thoughts and suggestion's up to now.. Later... Oh, and 1 more thing.. Is there a difference in tranny's in 2 and 4wd trucks.??

·
Registered
207 Posts
...the 4wd and 2wd drive trans are different...and they are not compatible. Sounds to me like the trans is gonna have to come out. Most tranny places will take a look at it for free, and give you an estimate. If your motivated you could pull it out yourself...either way sounds like its gonna have to come out :lame:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like a gear has sheared the key. Getting the tranny out of a 4x4 is a pain. The trannies are very similar, but the cases and a couple of gear ratios are different.
You have to pull quite a lot of stuff out to get the tranny out. Then you can tear it down and rebuild it. I just did mine in my 2wd 93 4 cyl. Cost about 120 clams to do it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts