Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've had my car for about 3 weeks now and I noticed a problem. It will hesitate bad once or twice when first start to drive it. Generally, I'll let the idle drop to 1k before I start going anywhere, which is the point where the thermometer starts to rise off the cold mark. The hesitation occurs mostly right after I pull out of my apartment complex (the first minute of driving).

The hesitation is more like a buck. I'll be steady on the gas, in gear, and it will buck. I'll be shifting and hitting the gas and it will do the same thing. The car will only do it maybe two or three times then run like a champ the rest of the trip.

The car idles fine while cold, with very little fluctuation in the rpms. Everything appears fine after startup, just hesitates once I start to drive it. No check engine light at all. I've checked the plugs and they look great and are gapped correctly. I've cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner. I also changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30. The problem occurred before and after these things were done.

The car is a manual with 36000 on the clock. When I bought it the first thing I noticed was the oil was overfilled by about a quart and the car seemed down on power. After I changed the oil, the car ran much better. The salesperson assured me the recalls were done when I asked. Does Nissan keep records of work done for a specific car? Any other things I should check before waisting my time sitting in a friggin dealership? Thanks in advance.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
the car needs to warm up before being driven ;)

could be a leaky gasket somewhere in the exhaust that expands closed as the parts heat up.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chimmike said:
the car needs to warm up before being driven ;)

could be a leaky gasket somewhere in the exhaust that expands closed as the parts heat up.
I knew you would say that :) While we are on the topic, how long do you let the car warm up? I let it warm up for about 3-4 minutes, I figure that should be plenty for a car that isn't carbureted. Funny thing is, my 200SX with 130,000 miles ran better if I didn't let it warm up. If I let it warm up fully, it ran like crap the rest of the day or until it cooled again. Interesting...

The exhaust leak is a good suggestion, one I never would have thought of. I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks again!

·