Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been running great for the last almost 15k miles until tonight... As I was getting off I4, my car stalled. I didn't think anything of it at first, so I just started it back up and went on my marry way. Well about 100 feet down the road I thought I hit the rev limiter, I looked down and I wasn't even at 5k and my check engine light started flashing. Now my car barely idles, it sputters, and stalls all the time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
871 Posts
MAF is dead... thats my guess.

Do you have a check engine light?
What mods do you have (CAI can cause MAF failure)?

You should be under warrenty, I would suggest removing any CAI or other type of intake and taking it to the dealer to be fixed under warrenty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car was doing that to (02 model) but it was not throwing any codes. Any way find out what the code is and go from there. The dealership has to replace my ECU. Best bet is to get it to the dealership and see what they come up with, just get rid of any aftermarket mods done to it. They tried telling me that they could not warranty my car because i replace the ground cable to the battery, well after i chewed some ass for about a half hour they decided that the warranty would cover it.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
MAF is dead... thats my guess.

Do you have a check engine light?
What mods do you have (CAI can cause MAF failure)?

You should be under warrenty, I would suggest removing any CAI or other type of intake and taking it to the dealer to be fixed under warrenty.
That would be my guess too...it sounds like safe mode. Our car can go into safemode just like Windows...it allows some features but does not allow optimal performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the next day, my boyfriend took it up to Autozone to see what code it was throwing. They said the third cylinder was misfiring. So he then took it to AutoWay Nissan and they said a screw came out of the flap that's in my intake manifold and fell into my third cylinder which is why it was misfiring. They found the screw in my cat. They are replacing my intake manifold. But I find it hard to believe that a screw went THROUGH my entire engine and didn't do any damage. So I told them that the car would not be picked up until I have everything documented from them so in the future when I'm out of warranty, I won't have to buy a new engine.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
BlkSpecV04 said:
Well the next day, my boyfriend took it up to Autozone to see what code it was throwing. They said the third cylinder was misfiring. So he then took it to AutoWay Nissan and they said a screw came out of the flap that's in my intake manifold and fell into my third cylinder which is why it was misfiring. They found the screw in my cat. They are replacing my intake manifold. But I find it hard to believe that a screw went THROUGH my entire engine and didn't do any damage. So I told them that the car would not be picked up until I have everything documented from them so in the future when I'm out of warranty, I won't have to buy a new engine.
Another victim of the butterfly valve screws :(
I pulled my intake manifold and 6 of the 8 were loose...I Loctited them ASAP

·
Registered
871 Posts
NickZac said:
Another victim of the butterfly valve screws :(
I've yet to check mine, but everytime I read one of these threads I feel like I need to take it apart and findout.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, in theory the screw could get all the way through without causing damage. I would ask them to do a compression test to verify that it did not damage a ring land/lay or the piston. I'm not sure that they will. Pay very close attention to your oil levels after you get it back, if it starts burning oil you may have damage.

·