Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up. i've got a 94 sentra 1.6-ga16de. the problem is, aside from burning more oil than my 66 impala, recently there has developed, slowly over about 2 weeks, a ticking that follows the revs in the top left side of the head/block. i took the vc off and the timing chain is fine, everything (all bolts, etc.) are tight. my "mechanic" told me it was the #4 rod bearing/rod. i think this is bs. i've had many a people tell me its lifters/valves. i just want my motor running again, i mean its only got 106k on it! anyway, any response would be appreciated.

ps-if i don't respond for a while, its because i don't have internet access yet, i'm at a friends house now.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
it could be the lifters/valves... i know w/ the e16, this is a very simple procedure, but w/ the different drivetrain of the ga16, i dunno how easy it would be. how bad is it? really bad, that it makes you worry, or just noticeable. mine has a pretty noticeable tick, it probably is the valves. but when i adjusted my old engine to specs it still made that noise.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i'm going to switch the head from my other ga16de- its out of a 95 200 sx se. hopefully the heads will match, several other parts i've tried to swap have not matched, so i dunno. the ticking is pretty bad, its more of a klunking, you know that high speed graze of metal on metal? its not a good sound. anyway, it won't stay running as of now, so i'm not driving it. any help is appreciated. thanks, mike

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
You might have to put your '94 TPS in the '95 TB, or just switch the TB from the '94 onto the '95 head. Your car is OBD I and the 95 is OBD II. You might also have to swap things like the AAC valve and the temp sensor as well. You could just swap the cams and shims, but if you know the other head is quiet, just swap it. It may sound stupid, but check things out with your alternator, as far as the pulley bolts and the bracket bolts. There was talk over at the SR20DEforum IIRC about similar "lifter" noise that turned out to be just alternator issues. Worth a peak if it might solve your problem. Could also be a rod bearing as well. I've got noisy lifters in my car too, haven't checked them out yet.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help. but it is definitely a rod. take the #4 cylinder plug off and it purrrs like a kitten. anyway, i've decided to do a 2.0L swap. i'm going to in the future, so why buy another 1.6? so, if anyone can hook me up with what all is necessary i would be greatly appreciative. or, if anyone can hook me up with parts, i.e. motor, axles, harness, ANYTHING! that would be bad ass. if you can't get in touch with me, talk to se-r sam, he's finding stuff for me...thanks sam! ;) later. Mike

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
There's a few guys on here that have done the swap, can't tell you exactly who though. Just post a shout-out thread and hopefully they'll reply. Crappy part is, despite that a few people have done this swap, I've yet to see a complete write-up on it. I researched the swap quite thoroughly for several months and as close as I came to getting straight answers there were always uncertainties and a lot of etc.'s Even in the info at www.sentra.net www.se-r.net and the like, there seems to be sections that for some reason, are unsure about exactly what needed to be swapped and what didn't, even though they did the swap. I can't remember if it was you or not, but someone mentioned getting a front clip. Chances are you'd save yourself a ton of money if you could find one and you'd have the brake upgrade available to you as well. It might be easier to find a crapped out classic and if you buy it right, even if the engine is shot, you can swap the other stuff out that you want/need, then just buy a JDM for the motor, and still come out well money-wise. Good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts