Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I don't know much about cars. I bought a used '95 Maxima GLE from a coworker for $2000. He didn't have a maintenance record but the car rode great and it was cheap so I took it. I should have taken it for an inspection soon after, but hell, it's already a done deal.

So a couple months ago, I was at a red light getting ready to go to a gas station just 1 block away when the car stopped just as I pressed on the accelerator. It just... stopped. And then started again, jerking forward and hitting a car in the front. I figured I'll fix the hood later and drove the car back home. A week later, I'm at a mall and the car stops again. So now I'm thinking, it's probably the alternator or the battery.

I jump-started once and the car drove about... 25 meters (not miles) before stopping again. So... is it the alternator you think?

Plus, I lost my key that night towing the damn car back to my apartment and that's the only key I got from the previous owner. What does the dealer usually charge for replacement key on a 95 maxima, and is there an cheaper alternative to getting the key replaced at a dealer? Someone told me it might cost $80-90 at a dealer..

Alright, you guys can tell me how retarded I was with this car, but please help me with your know-hows and some tips. :confused:

· Registered
10 Posts
I'll start by saying I don't know much about cars. I bought a used '95 Maxima GLE from a coworker for $2000. He didn't have a maintenance record but the car rode great and it was cheap so I took it. I should have taken it for an inspection soon after, but hell, it's already a done deal.

So a couple months ago, I was at a red light getting ready to go to a gas station just 1 block away when the car stopped just as I pressed on the accelerator. It just... stopped. And then started again, jerking forward and hitting a car in the front. I figured I'll fix the hood later and drove the car back home. A week later, I'm at a mall and the car stops again. So now I'm thinking, it's probably the alternator or the battery.

I jump-started once and the car drove about... 25 meters (not miles) before stopping again. So... is it the alternator you think?

Plus, I lost my key that night towing the damn car back to my apartment and that's the only key I got from the previous owner. What does the dealer usually charge for replacement key on a 95 maxima, and is there an cheaper alternative to getting the key replaced at a dealer? Someone told me it might cost $80-90 at a dealer..

Alright, you guys can tell me how retarded I was with this car, but please help me with your know-hows and some tips. :confused:

sounds like an alternator or compressor belt issue, but thats just a guess. something like that could be 1000 different things.

is your check engine light on?

and you have no key at all?
if you dont have one to copy, then you are going to have to shell out 100 bux at a dealership to have one made.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.