Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m having transmission problems.. SE light came on, took it to the dealer, got a P0717 code, with further investigation revealed that the Transmission Control Valve needs to be replaced, but due to high miles 2007 Crew Cab Nismo, 157k they are recommending a complete tranny replacement. Anyone have any recommendations? A new tranny is over 5k, and I can’t seem to find anything about a TCV online anywhere. Sure could you some help figuring this out.. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hello all, I’m having transmission problems.. SE light came on, took it to the dealer, got a P0717 code, with further investigation revealed that the Transmission Control Valve needs to be replaced, but due to high miles 2007 Crew Cab Nismo, 157k they are recommending a complete tranny replacement. Anyone have any recommendations? A new tranny is over 5k, and I can’t seem to find anything about a TCV online anywhere. Sure could you some help figuring this out.. Thanks ahead of time.
KDU,

Try searching Nissan Frontier TCM/Transmission Control Module. Lot's of info.

Did you have Coolant Mixing with ATF? Might want to Google that as well.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barney, thanks I will check it out, and no coolant ( strawberry milkshake) issue. Thanks for the info

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,473 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to cover their ass in case they install a control valve assembly and the transmission later fails. If there is no sign of cross-contamination and the transmission has been shifting fine, I would just address the control valve. A lot of problems with the control valve are due to the metal pin tracks cracking and breaking where they made a 90 degree bend, which can be repaired and reinforced with a few strands of wire and soldering by someone who is competent; there are YouTube bids showing this procedure. Nissan TCM/valve body assemblies are expensive, but there may be a remanufactured assembly available that is much cheaper than the new Nissan part. You can check availability at Rockauto.com. Replacing the valve body is not difficult, however, the replacement valve body will need to be programmed at a Nissan or Infiniti dealer to get it to communicate with the ECM. The RE5R05A is a very reliable transmission on the whole as long as coolant isn't added to the ATF. If you have the original radiator in it, I highly recommend you replace it! Aftermarket radiators can be found for around $100 and have not had the failed cooler issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like they are trying to cover their ass in case they install a control valve assembly and the transmission later fails. If there is no sign of cross-contamination and the transmission has been shifting fine, I would just address the control valve. A lot of problems with the control valve are due to the metal pin tracks cracking and breaking where they made a 90 degree bend, which can be repaired and reinforced with a few strands of wire and soldering by someone who is competent; there are YouTube bids showing this procedure. Nissan TCM/valve body assemblies are expensive, but there may be a remanufactured assembly available that is much cheaper than the new Nissan part. You can check availability at Rockauto.com. Replacing the valve body is not difficult, however, the replacement valve body will need to be programmed at a Nissan or Infiniti dealer to get it to communicate with the ECM. The RE5R05A is a very reliable transmission on the whole as long as coolant isn't added to the ATF. If you have the original radiator in it, I highly recommend you replace it! Aftermarket radiators can be found for around $100 and have not had the failed cooler issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you up front smj999, I took it to a reputable transmission shop in my neighborhood, and the guy quoted me $2900 complete,( 1year warranty). He also mentioned replacing the radiator with an aftermarket unit as well as draining and replacement of both fluids. Is that a fair price, Especially considering the work that needs to be done?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,473 Posts
Thank you up front smj999, I took it to a reputable transmission shop in my neighborhood, and the guy quoted me $2900 complete,( 1year warranty). He also mentioned replacing the radiator with an aftermarket unit as well as draining and replacement of both fluids. Is that a fair price, Especially considering the work that needs to be done?
You don't mention what you are getting for $2900. If you are getting a remanufactured transmission with all the fluids, it sounds like a very good price. If it's just the TCM/valve body assembly, it would depend if it's a new, Nissan unit or an aftermarket reman. Sounds a bit high for an aftermarket valve body replacement, a lot closer in price if it's a new, Nissan unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts