Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Altima, 150k, that runs smooth, but it has an oil leak. A mechanic said it is leaking oil from the timing chain cover, and maybe somewhere else above the cover--possibly from the head gasket. It is not leaking too bad yet. I only lost 2 quarts of oil in the last 6 months, but I want to keep this car as long as I can.

I do not want to spend the estimated $1200 or so to have this fixed. Is there any way I can do something myself to stop or slow the leak? I have read about the "Right Stuff." Is this something I can apply without taking apart the cover? Or can I add Stop Leak?

I was using full synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30 for 2 years. Now because of the leak I switched today to Mobil regular 5w-30 (it's too cold where I live!). I don't know yet whether this switch will make any difference.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
it definetly sounds like it the head gasket.....!! The head gasket, that's an simple fix. Not sure how good you are with tools, But i changed mine in less than 30 minutes and I not a mechanic, far from it. but simple tools and some reading will fi this... good luck...

·
Registered
8 Posts
You sure that wasn't the valve cover gasket? The VC gasket is about a 30 min job...the head gasket is a big job. Timing chain etc has to come off.
Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess the front cover (The head gasket cover that area, just use RTV
when installing the cover.
I would use a dye to locate the leak, these car has problem with seal in timing cover

1 - 4 of 4 Posts