Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is looking at a 2000 Sentra for 2500 gold. It has 130,000 miles on it. It has the check engine light on, which we were told by the owners is due to a clogged catalytic converter. However, they said that this hasn't affected the performance or gas mileage.

Are there any common problems that we should look out for in this car besides the catalytic converter? Also, how long can the car go with the catalytic converter the way it is before it needs repair? What do you think is a fair price for this car?

I've researched reviews of this car and got mixed results. Some people swear by them, many have had serious problems (although I couldn't find any common problems besides the catalytic converter). I've also heard that this model has a lot of recalls, but again I'm not sure what to make of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a GXE. All of the power options work, except for the factory CD player. It has some cosmetic wear. The top coat is chipping off on the hood and roof, and the car has some baseball-sized dents near the trunk.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's my motto that I would not get into a car that already needs work IF at all possible. I assume this will be a commuter car for your GF and certainly not a project car. While the '00 GXE is indeed a reliable little car, but IF it's taken cared of properly. In this case I would be swayed from buying this car UNLESS it was an outstanding deal. IIRC, the QG18s not only had/have the pre-cat issue, but also a headgasket issue as well. Overall, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts