Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 93 sentra se-r from a friend of mine (my first nissan). He overheated the engine and blew it up. I ordered a new motor for it, its taken about 3 weeks mainly on the weekends but im just about done (this is my first motor swap). Im having a few problems though. the car starts fine, and drives fine (minus a little bit of chugging when driving, im pretty sure this is a problem with the timing). but gradually the temp keeps going up into the danger zone. I've replaced the thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, and triple checked the belt for the water pump as well as check to make sure that the water pump is working. I've read that overheating can be caused by the timing / idle being off so I think this is my problem. Other then these couple of things im good to go. The manual I have doesnt give very good directions on how to set the idle, or do the timing (I've never done either of these). I may just be being stupid but I cant find the timing marks, and im about at my wits end. Im debating just taking it to a shop and having them finish it for me, but I would rather do it myself and learn how to do this. If anyone can has any input on what my problem is or how to set the timing / idle it would help a lot. Any advice, tips, tricks, directions or whatever will help. Sorry for making this so long.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check to make sure you dont have any air in your cooling system...you could have air pockets in there and that would cause it to over heat....is your cooling fan kicking in? Check that too..
-Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think its the head gasket or head (at least it better not be I just bought the engine). It doesnt burn anything and im not finding fluids where they shouldnt be.

I think I got all the air pockets out. I filled it, then would run it, and reapeted this a few times. Then ounce I thought it was full I would scweeze the upper radiator hose to get the little remaining air pockets. If theres a better way to do this please let me know. Both radiator fans are kicking on.

Thank you both for the help,
Chris

·
Master of the 5th speed
147 Posts
As a precaution, you should always change the water pump when getting a used motor. Makes it a lot easier than having to do it when the motor is in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I should have, but I checked the one I had and it was working fine. Plus I was getting short on cash. I did figure out what the problem was. I didn't swap the temp sensor from the old motor onto the new one. The one on the new one was ment to be hooked up to an idiot light. I guess theres enough of a difference that it was making my temp gauge look like it was overheating. I took it into a shop and they hooked up some sort of thing that goes where my radiator cap would, and tested the temp that way. even with the gauge maxed out the temp of the coolant was only 160. Thanks for the help with this everyone the car is running good and I've already put about 250 miles on it.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info. I'll check that this weekend. so far ive put on about 450 miles and everything looks like its fine. The car wants to stall out at first, but once it warms up it runs like a champ. I think this is a problem with that sensor not being switched out. It seams like the ECU is trying to choke the engine because its reading the sensor wrong. I'll find out this weekend when I get a chance to pull the intake manifold of and swap it. If anyone has had this problem before please feel free to give some advice. Again thanks for the help on this.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gizzmo said:
The car wants to stall out at first, but once it warms up it runs like a champ. I think this is a problem with that sensor not being switched out. It seams like the ECU is trying to choke the engine because its reading the sensor wrong.

Try pulling your EGR valve off and cleaning the carbon out of it. I was having the same problem before it warmed up (ie. choppy Idle, and almost stalling coming off of the throttle). You may be right about it being a sensor, but this is a free tip to do in about 20 mins! Can't hurt to try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts